ICEless in Seattle : Official Pacific NorthWest thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all!

I am looking to lease a Leaf in the Seattle area and wondered if people have recommendations for dealerships to work with.

Thanks!

gpogue said:
I am looking to lease a Leaf in the Seattle area and wondered if people have recommendations for dealerships to work with.
From my own experience, I recommend Campbell-Nelson up in Edmonds. Ray and Dino are awesome (and also participate on this board and the Facebook group).

Packet said:
gpogue said:
From my own experience, I recommend Campbell-Nelson up in Edmonds. Ray and Dino are awesome (and also participate on this board and the Facebook group).
+1, good people!

Just a reminder to anyone not a memeber of SEVA or the FB group. Tonight is the premier of Revenge of the Electric Car at the Varsity theater tonight. Tix can be purchased here: https://tickets.landmarktheatres.com/Ticketing.aspx?TheatreID=246&MovieID=12629&ShowDate=11/11/2011&ScheduleID=23777" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a pre movie event at the Hotel Deca before the showing and a post showing discussion.

I saw it in Kirkland several months ago and highly recommend it.

Just passed the Nissan dealer in Puyallup. Three LEAFs sitting on the lot. No idea if orphans, dealer stock or what.

Puyallup Nissan, 253-848-4507.

SeattleBlueLeaf said:
Just a reminder to anyone not a memeber of SEVA or the FB group. Tonight is the premier of Revenge of the Electric Car at the Varsity theater tonight. Tix can be purchased here: https://tickets.landmarktheatres.com/Ticketing.aspx?TheatreID=246&MovieID=12629&ShowDate=11/11/2011&ScheduleID=23777" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a pre movie event at the Hotel Deca before the showing and a post showing discussion.

Just returned to Issaquah (during a hailstorm I might add) after viewing the 3PM show. A very well done documentary. . . . . . .especially if already own an EV! :lol: Seriously, go see it, it's great!!

Packet said:
gpogue said:

Same here, Campbell-Nelson was very nice to work with, and knowledgeable as well. If you do your research on dealers, they have about the longest and best reputation in the whole Seattle area. I found their pricing to be fair. Not the cheapest, I could have saved a couple hundred going to the lowest bidder, but that is pocket change on the $30k vehicle and their customer service more than makes up for it in my opinion.

Normally I would say avoid Eastside (in Bellevue) at all costs, but they do seem to be attempting to change their reputation. I've heard some good stories lately of them actually treating their customers well, which is a big change from years past, so they might be OK.

saywatt said:
SeattleBlueLeaf said:

Just returned to Issaquah (during a hailstorm I might add) after viewing the 3PM show. A very well done documentary. . . . . . .especially if already own an EV! :lol: Seriously, go see it, it's great!!

We just got back from the 7:10 at the varsity, either it was sold out or close to it. It was a very well done documentary showing the trials and tribulations of the characters behind the rebound, particularly through the recent economic crash. Some fun quotes from Lutz, Goshn and Musk!

Definitely recommend!

Seattle, Friday
2PM: On my way to the 3PM showing of "Revenge" at the Varsity Theater. As typical, I charge to 100% when going into Seattle from home base, Issaquah—typically using about 60% of the batt to go the 52 miles RT plus 10-12 for errands plus I live atop a large hill. This trip, however, was going to be straight there and straight back—no stops. Light rain (very interesting clouds). Upon arrival, drove once around the block to find a good parking space—Mile indicator, 65 miles, 7 bars.

4:40PM: Returning home, I-5 through DT was very heavy stop-n-go, lots of rain, 40 degrees. Had heater/defroster on intermittently as needed. Wipers on steady low to medium. Took 20 minutes to drive from U district to I-90—about 4 miles. Mile indicator dropped to from 65 and 7 bars to 52 miles and 6 bars.

5PM: Crossing I-90 floating bridge: Very Heavy rain, wind, lots of hail, 37 degrees. Windshield wipers on high, defrost on 80% of the time. Speed limits was 50mph plus on average. From the west to east high-rise, mile indicator dropped from 52 miles to 24 miles. ""I think this is important because I :?: if this is when the Li Ion battery moved some juice over to the 12v battery due to all the accessories that were on constantly during the return trip.""

5:15PM: Weather letting up, speed limit back to 60, 10 miles since big drop in miles. Milage indicator increased from 24 miles to 26 miles (due to me being an "excellent driver" :?: :?: :) ) Only 8 miles to go to home - no problem (unless we experience another large drop in miles!!) Decided to stop for pizza since we have to drive right by the place. Plus if I was going to have to push the Leaf into the garage, I wanted a full stomach! :)

6:30PM: Left Flying Pie Pizza and headed down the 45mph road to home with 25 miles on the indicator (guess the Leaf did some recalculating while we were eating).

6:45PM: 2 miles to go—1.5 miles being a long, steep at some points, hill—starting to hail again as we are now at 850' above sealevel. I see the driveway reflector ahead when indicator lights go on, some flashing—Leaf announces low battery via voice. I'm in the driveway now and pulling into the garage. Stop, Park, brake, ready for power off. The moment you all have been reading for. . . . .miles indicator is flashing "4", 1 bar indicated. Heck, I could have stopped for a nightcap! :D

Experience gained from this outing is that in cold severe weather, if your Leaf needs to charge the 12v, it will seriously effect your driving range.

I was walking around the U district when that hail storm hit. :(

I've had a similar precipitous drop in range on one occasion. I doubt very much
that it's the 12V charger, though. More likely it's the heat/AC (both run on the
traction battery at ~400V) and the decreased battery performance at lower temp-
eratures. There seems to be significant drop on the GOM at about 40ºF. I got
to the driveway with a flashing 4 that night.

I am getting more daring and arriving home with one bar and single digit miles
more often. :cool:

Haven't had to push yet. ;)

I agree with highcountry - most likely that darn defroster caused the drastic drop in predicted range. If something like that happens again, suggest you look at the energy screen on the center console - the upper right graphic showing climate control usage.

Bill

Oh I did, it was up around 4.5 for climate control usage. The windshield wipers, which I think are part of "other systems", was also pretty high. There was so much blue on the displays I thought I was going to have to dim the panel lights!! :lol:

All around a bad weather night that put the Leaf to the test.

ebill3 said:
I agree with highcountry - most likely that darn defroster caused the drastic drop in predicted range. If something like that happens again, suggest you look at the energy screen on the center console - the upper right graphic showing climate control usage.

Bill

Yeah, my wife was pretty worried that I would have to push the car home..........I told her she had it all backwards! :lol:

highcountryrider said:
I was walking around the U district when that hail storm hit. :(

I've had a similar precipitous drop in range on one occasion. I doubt very much
that it's the 12V charger, though. More likely it's the heat/AC (both run on the
traction battery at ~400V) and the decreased battery performance at lower temp-
eratures. There seems to be significant drop on the GOM at about 40ºF. I got
to the driveway with a flashing 4 that night.

I am getting more daring and arriving home with one bar and single digit miles
more often. :cool:

Haven't had to push yet. ;)

Today was the first time that I did a fair amount of running around and needed the defroster (actually, defogger).

It is criminal, I say. A $34 K car and you have to fiddle with the climate control, turn the defroster on and off, so that you don't drastically reduce range. All I want to do is blow air on the windshield, and I know a fan motor doesn't require 4.5 kW. :evil:

I hope EVSE Upgrade Phil releases his mod soon.

Bill

The 34K was just to allow us to be part of the Grand Experiment. ;)

I am hopeful that Nissan monitors our posts (or perhaps actually asks us some day) to give serious constructive comments about the Leaf. From what I read on this forum, I could see Leafs in different areas of the country/world having different programming of their systems ( ex.: AZ vs WA, NY vs FL).

I think you need more than air to defog a window in the GNW - you need the AC compressor to dry the air. It's the heater portion of the defogger that eats so much juice. I just got back from a similar trip, miles wise, as yesterday and ended up with 7 miles compared to 4 yesterday. Also had 3 in the car instead of 2. Temp was a bit warmer too, 41 compared to 37 yesterday.

What I forgot to do was try and defog with the climate control temp turned way down to the lower 60's range in an attempt to keep the heating element from turning on, yet have the AC compressor on to dry the air. Has anyone tried this :?:

ebill3 said:
Today was the first time that I did a fair amount of running around and needed the defroster (actually, defogger).

It is criminal, I say. A $34 K car and you have to fiddle with the climate control, turn the defroster on and off, so that you don't drastically reduce range. All I want to do is blow air on the windshield, and I know a fan motor doesn't require 4.5 kW. :evil:

I hope EVSE Upgrade Phil releases his mod soon.

Bill

saywatt said:
<snip>...the climate control temp turned way down to the lower 60's range in an attempt to keep the heating element from turning on, yet have the AC compressor on to dry the air. Has anyone tried this :?:

I do that often. In my case, my clothes are often damp and the heat just
makes the fogging worse. Lower temps defog just fine. :) And I have four
layers of clothing on for outdoor fun, so anything above about 65ºF is too
warm.

I've only had to be cold in the LEAF one time. I misjudged the effect of the
colder weather.

Back