ICED - Images of Offending Vehicles Board of Shame

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Berlino said:
Can't really blame them.
Spaces not marked, few EV's in the area, and a shortage of parking spots for the restaurant.
That's OK, I was able to recharge by angling my LEAF to take out two ICE spaces.
4vJLqK0.jpg
We see you squeezed in there on the left! That's what I call a creative solution! Well done. ;)

^ With a set of Go Jaks you could have moved either vehicle completely out of the way. Or how about spin the one car around and then put the drivers' doors of both so close together that neither could have gotten in their cars from the driver's side. :lol: I really must get a set of those one of these days.

mwalsh said:
^ With a set of Go Jaks you could have moved either vehicle completely out of the way. ... :lol: I really must get a set of those one of these days.
Go Jaks are a very interesting design. I wasn't familiar with them.
But at $295 a piece, and 37# each, I can't quite imagine carrying four of them around in the back of the LEAF! :lol: :roll: Although you probably could fit four of them in the back of the LEAF! :D
I understand the humor of your suggestion.
But as someone who had one really bad encounter with the driver of an ICE in an EV DCQC spot, I don't plan to ever again even talk with the driver of an ICE vehicle in an EV charging spot.
I simply asked her to move her car. Never seen such a belligerent, angry response. She even tried to talk her boyfriend in the passenger seat (there's about a 40% chance he was a drug dealer and was armed) to confront me. Fortunately he decided it wasn't worth the risk. I was prepared to dial 911, and if necessary use the LEAF to defend myself.
Don't ever forget that some percentage of people hate electric vehicle drivers, or are angry about them getting free fuel, or angry / jealous about their ability to have an electric vehicle, or angry about the government subsidies of electric vehicles.
Charging an electric vehicle isn't worth getting shot. :( :eek: :shock:

Here is a good one:

iced_08232013.jpg

Not parked in the charing spot but parked on top of the cord for the charging station next to it! Fortunately there are 5 charging spots at this location. Bad form!

I blame that one on whomever didn't put the cord back up properly after charging, not the driver of the car next door!

kevinleaf said:
Not parked in the charing spot but parked on top of the cord for the charging station next to it!

TomT said:
I blame that on whomever didn't put he cord back up properly, not the driver of the car next door!

kevinleaf said:
Not parked in the charing spot but parked on top of the cord for the charging station next to it!
A little bit o' blame goes to those kinds of drivers who just toss their cars into spaces without bothering to straighten up, leaving their wheels half-cocked. One of my pet peeves. Lots of times it makes an adjacent spot unparkable. :evil:

TomT said:
I blame that on whomever didn't put he cord back up properly, not the driver of the car next door!

kevinleaf said:

At least it looks like half the cord could be pulled to the car, for a leaf this would be enough wouldn't it? It'd take a car with the charge port on the side for halving the cord length to be an issue.

TomT said:

EXACTLY. I can't tell you how annoyed I get when I see an EVSE with its entrails spewed all over the ground. I'd like to find a way to shame those people... :evil:

z0ner said:
EXACTLY. I can't tell you how annoyed I get when I see an EVSE with its entrails spewed all over the ground. I'd like to find a way to shame those people... :evil:
Agreed! However, I know that sometimes this is caused by non EV drivers who have been playing with the cord. I've even seen children playing with them, not having any idea what they are for. The Aerovironment units that have the cord that conceals inside the door really irritate me. There is a special procedure for properly putting the cable back inside, but almost nobody except me follows it. Most people just cram the cable back inside any way they can, then close the door. Unfortunately, this often creates a problem when it comes time to open the door because the door can get stuck internally due to the wad of cable pressing against the inside.

adric22 said:
z0ner said:
Agreed! However, I know that sometimes this is caused by non EV drivers who have been playing with the cord. I've even seen children playing with them, not having any idea what they are for. The Aerovironment units that have the cord that conceals inside the door really irritate me. There is a special procedure for properly putting the cable back inside, but almost nobody except me follows it. Most people just cram the cable back inside any way they can, then close the door. Unfortunately, this often creates a problem when it comes time to open the door because the door can get stuck internally due to the wad of cable pressing against the inside.
Which is why a well-designed EVSE for use by the public will be equipped with an auto-retractor, just like gas, air and water hoses at gas stations are. Not exactly an unforeseeable design issue. Also makes it marginally more difficult for copper thieves, if the connector is locked to the unit until released by a card, code or what-have-you. The amazing thing to me is the lack of retractors on virtually all the EVSEs currently in service.

GRA said:
Which is why a well-designed EVSE for use by the public will be equipped with an auto-retractor, just like gas, air and water hoses at gas stations are. Not exactly an unforeseeable design issue. Also makes it marginally more difficult for copper thieves, if the connector is locked to the unit until released by a card, code or what-have-you. The amazing thing to me is the lack of retractors on virtually all the EVSEs currently in service.
I'm not sure that a retractor is a good way to go either. I think a door that locks is fine, but the way Aerovironment does there is very poor. What I think would work better is a door that opens and reveals a spool similar to how the Blinks have. Imagine a Blink station with a door that closes around the cable. The best station I've ever used was a chargepoint that had the EVSE cable hanging from above like a gas pump would have. Honestly I like the European style of bring your own cable. That solves everything.

I agree it is both the ICE driver's fault and the EVSE user's fault for not wrapping the cord. But mostly these things need to be designed to be used in public places where kids will mess with them and irresponsible users will fail to properly take care of the equipment. Retractable cords, gas-pump style overhead or euro-style "bring your own cord" is a good idea.

z0ner said:
+1. Particularly the few LEAF drivers that don't seem to have the courtesy or time to keep the free Murphy Express DCQC massive cord out of the parking spot.
About 5 % of the time I've had to park short, get out of the car and move the big cable, to be able to pull into the spot fully.
Come on everybody, its a massive big 2" diameter multi-conductor cable that delivers 120A (50 kW) to the vehicle. It shouldn't be left in the parking spot. Put it back correctly.
Everyone so far seems to get putting the big connector back correctly in the storage hole with the very nicely designed rain shield door closed.
But the big cord needs to be out of the parking spot behind the bollard.
And don't leave it with three or four twists in it either.
It is a wonderful free service. Treat the cord right!!!! :D :( :eek: :shock:

I just saw the new ChargePoint stations while at Google today for the EV Summit. MUCH better cord design! It has a gas pump style overhead cord keeper that keeps the cord off the ground and the screen is at least somewhat readable in sunlight. Off-topic, I apologize.

Lets not just humiliate but also educate: most ICE drivers don't have any idea how important it is to have a charging station available when it is needed. It was probably a similar learning curve when handicapped spots first started and people think they are a suggestion rather than a requirement.

kevinleaf said:
Not parked in the charing spot but parked on top of the cord for the charging station next to it! Fortunately there are 5 charging spots at this location. Bad form!
Have a little fun...leave a note...

"You are parked on an electric charging cord. Please be very careful when touching your door handle."

kevinleaf said:
I just saw the new ChargePoint stations while at Google today for the EV Summit. MUCH better cord design! It has a gas pump style overhead cord keeper that keeps the cord off the ground and the screen is at least somewhat readable in sunlight. Off-topic, I apologize.
I have used one such chargepoint station around here in Ft.Worth and I have to say it is the best design I've seen of any of the charging stations.

kevinleaf said:
The new CT4000 series, I assume:

http://www.chargepoint.com/files/CT4000-Data-Sheet.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure what the term is for an EV that is parked in a designated charging spot without charging. The driver must have been in a hurry. Either that, or it's hard to maneuver a huge car like the i-Miev into a tiny space.

6rEtOhZ.jpg

Berlino said:
Not sure what the term is for an EV that is parked in a designated charging spot without charging. The driver must have been in a hurry. Either that, or it's hard to maneuver a huge car like the i-Miev into a tiny space.

The phrase you're looking for is "doh"

Back