How to quickly glance connected car to see if charging done

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braineo

Is there a list by EV / Plug In Hybrid car to know by looking if a car being charged is done charging, thus disconnecting it wouldn't ire anyone?

The Leaf has the three blue lights on the dash, but for people who don't know the LEAF, they have no clue where to look to know if car is fully charged.

has anyone compiled a list that we can refer, is it in the wiki?

planet4ever said:
Wouldn't the most obvious solution be to look at the charging station rather than the car? I think most public stations have a display showing you the rate at which it is currently charging.

Ray
Clipper Creek, SemaConnect, Eaton, EVConnect, GEwattStation, and Blink do not show kW. And how would I know if a LEAF is 3.3 or 6.6kW? (I can figure it out, but most won't know). C-Max/Fusion/Volt/PIP are 3.3kW, Honda Accord is 6.6kW

Re; Fit EV, if the green light next to the connector is on (solid, not blinking) the car is charging at ~5.8 to 7.2kW, depending on line voltage.

I always (and recommend) leaving a Charging Protocol card with unplug time and cell number, as I may not need a full charge. I moved off of free high current Clipper Creek chargers twice on last 600+ mile trip for Teslas (an S and a Roadster) as they benefit more from the high current than I. With Charging Protocol card no one has to guess :)

There's a guide at https://www.facebook.com/groups/BayLeafs/502865443104455/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. There's a similar one at https://www.facebook.com/groups/eaaccc/files/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Not sure if those who aren't a members of those groups can get to it.

^^^
You should get one. :mrgreen: You don't need to post anything or have any Facebook "friends". You can just lurk and/or be "friend"-less. Some of my FB friends post nothing or next to nothing. One of them sometimes emails folks (including me) in response to their FB posts.

IIRC, you can set it so that you're are or are pretty much unsearchable as well.

I'd have attached the files if I'd found a means of doing so.

Thanks for the link info, got it. Probably should be in our wiki, as more EV's chase charging stations, we need to develop a decent protocol and having a handy 'are you done charging guide' is useful. Wish Blink and other stations display it on their screens. Wouldn't it be cool the handshake protocol identify the car being charged and had a picture assisting on knowing how to determine if done charging? Or better, allow the creation of an email wait list to notify the next in line when to swap the charging cable?

planet4ever said:
gbarry42 said:
cwerdna said:
Not sure if those who aren't a members of those groups can get to it.
I'm not a member of those groups, and I was able to view and download them.
I don't have a Facebook account, so I wasn't able to view them.
Likewise, and I do not care to have an account.

Could someone post the text?

Some great info in that document from the EAACCC... can we add it to our wiki page?

"Charging indicators on various OEM Battery and Plug In Hybrid Electric Vehicles

-AC Propulsion: Do not unplug! Charging has no pilot signal and will arc on disconnect!

-BMW ActiveE: Blue light on bottom of center rear view mirror is not illuminated when charging is complete A blinking blue light indicates charging is in progress.

-Chevy Volt: Short flashing green light on top of dashboard when charging is complete A solid green light indicates charging is in progress. A long flashing light indicates delayed charging, which should never be used in a public charging spot when others may be waiting.

-Coda: The charging indicator light on the instrument cluster will illuminate and the high voltage battery state of charge level gauge will begin to rise.

-Fisker Karma: The charge level indicator on the instrument cluster will reach maximum and the charge indicator will turn off when charging is complete. While the vehicle is charging, the charging indicator light on the instrument cluster will be illuminated and the battery charge level indicator will display the current charge level.

-Ford CMAX Energi: Blue ring around charge port/plug is not illuminated when charging is complete The blue ring lights up in four blue quartered segments while charging and will shut off when charging is complete.

-Ford Focus Electric: Blue ring around charge port/plug is not illuminated when complete The blue ring lights up in four blue quartered segments while charging and will shut off when charging is complete.

-Honda Fit EV: There is one green led inside the chargeport door that is solid green when charging and off when not charging.

-Mitsubishi i-MiEV: Red electric plug symbol on dashboard is not lit when charging is complete Look through car windows at the dashboard to see if there is a red electric plug symbol lit. If it is lit then it is still charging. If it is off then it is not charging.

-Nissan Leaf: All three blue lights on top of dashboard are all on or are all off when charging is complete.
Decoding Leaf's triple light set: One flashing light 0-33% One solid, one flashing - 33% to 66% Two solid, one flashing - 66% to 100% Three solid - 100% All lights off - 100%

-Tesla Roadster: Solid green lighting around inside of charge port when charging is complete. While charging is in progress, the lighting inside the charge port area flashes amber.

-Tesla Model S: The light around the charge port stops pulsing and the light turns solid green when charging is complete. The faster the pulse, the lower the battery level.
Good news: When you plug in the charging cable, a light around the charge port pulses green during charging. When charging is complete, the light around the charge port stops pulsing and the light turns solid green.
Bad news: If the Model S is locked during charging, the charge port light does not illuminate but the vehicle continues to charge.

-Toyota RAV4 EV: Both amber lights (at the bottom of the back side window above the charge port on the driver's side of the car) will be solid when charging is complete. There are two amber lights at the bottom of the back side window above the charge port on the driver's side of the car. When charging from less than half a charge, the left light will blink and the right one will be off. Once past half charge, the left light will be solid and the right one will blink. Once fully charged, both amber lights will be solid.

-Toyota Prius Plug-In: An illuminated plug icon inside the chargeport door will be displayed while charging."

ebill3 said:
prberg: Thank you for posting the charge indicators text - very good of you.
Yes, thanks, prberg. But now that I've seen them I'm back to my first post. There are way too many vehicle indicators already, and it is only going to get much worse. I think we should petition for a simple standard on public charging stations. It wouldn't have to be a kW display; something as simple as an LED would do. Say maybe: off when not connected, on when connected and not charging, flashing when charging.

Ray

planet4ever said:
ebill3 said:
Yes, thanks, prberg. But now that I've seen them I'm back to my first post. There are way too many vehicle indicators already, and it is only going to get much worse. I think we should petition for a simple standard on public charging stations. It wouldn't have to be a kW display; something as simple as an LED would do. Say maybe: off when not connected, on when connected and not charging, flashing when charging.

Ray
+1

SAE left something basic out of the J1772 standard, it would seem.

Thanks for the link info, I got to see it. Probably it would also be in our wiki, as more EV's chase charging stations, we need to develop a decent protocol and having a handy 'are you done charging guide' is useful.

^^^
There are already charging protocol cards like at http://www.pluginamerica.org/evcard" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.evchargernews.com/chargingprotocol.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

planet4ever said:
ebill3 said:

Ray

what charging station does not give an indication that it is actively charging? Not sure about chargepoint (been a while since I have used one) but the rest definitely shows the status.

most are not obvious and I guess that could be improved

Back