HOW TO: Daytime Running Lights (DRL) installed for $35

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rawhog said:
I already have the ground wires landed on the negative 12v battery terminal. And the + wires are sitting ready to pull into wherever. This fuse 5 you refer to. Is that in the IPDM?
I finally figured out where that fuse block is. I could never find any clear reference to say "it is here", but based on the pattern of the fuses I now believe it to be the fuse block on the dash inside the driver's side door. Which means that fuse 5 is probably not a good choice. It would not be easy to run the wiring from there into the engine compartment...

Has anyone figured out how to wire the DRLs to come on only when the car is in the drive/eco selection? Most cars with DRLs have them come on when the gear selector in placed in drive.

l really like the look of these DRLs and would like to install them myself. However, one concern I have is do they turn off when you turn on the high beams (like the driving/fog lights do)? Here in VA, we must have annual car inspections including light function and this is one of the tests. I only know because I failed one after adding aftermarket foglights on my last car. They worked with just a simple on/off switch but did not automatically go off when the high beams were turned on.

I would think this functionality would require somehow tapping into the auto-off signal sent to the driving/fog lights. Any ideas?

Both Ingineer and evnow report having a more sophisticated factory style DRL hack, but I haven't seen where they've posted the details of it any where. If I'm wrong, please link it here...

They talked about it at length but never came forth with the details despite repeated requests... In the case of Evnow, he is quite a prankster so I have to take his report of a hack with a grain of salt!

GeekEV said:
Both Ingineer and evnow report having a more sophisticated factory style DRL hack, but I haven't seen where they've posted the details of it any where. If I'm wrong, please link it here...

Why couldn't you simply tap a relay to the high beam positive wire, to interupt the power to the DRL's whenever the high beams are on? Isn't that what you are asking for? Just use the Normally Closed contacts to supply the power to the DRL's, one side of the relay coil to ground, and the other side of the coil to the hot feed to the high beam halogen bulb.

TomT said:
They talked about it at length but never came forth with the details despite repeated requests... In the case of Evnow, he is quite a prankster so I have to take his report of a hack with a grain of salt!

GeekEV said:
Yes, I've got a good hack, but it's complex to implement, so it would take a crazy amount of effort on my part simply to document, and then we get everyone disabling their cars, because the hack requires alterations inside critical components.

So no, I'm not going to "share details" at this time, sorry! I have to pick and choose my battles for the good of everyone.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
...and then we get everyone disabling their cars, because the hack requires alterations inside critical components.
That's the part I figured was probably the biggest factor. Just look at how many people manage to botch the VSP off mod... :eek:

Thanks to all of the people who have contributed to this post!

Just wondering... Anyone know if tapping a wire for this installation is going to risk voiding factory warranty?

Seems like the fuse tap kit option would be best and less risky if you can find a fuse under the hood to tap.

Does anyone have a service manual or know what any of the fuses under the small box behind the battery are?

There are six 10AMP fuses : DC/DC, CHG.RAD FAN, C/PUMP (CHG), C/PUMP, E-ACT, and PBW SSOFF
and two 20AMP fuses: PBW MTR-1, PMW MTR-2

Do any of these only have power when ignition is on?

Sorry if these questions have already been asked, I couldn't find them.

Warranty should not be an issue unless your modifications are responsible for the failure. As for fuses, check the post at the top of page 13. The only suitable fuses I could find are inside the car - not convenient.

GeekEV said:
Warranty should not be an issue unless your modifications are responsible for the failure. As for fuses, check the post at the top of page 13. The only suitable fuses I could find are inside the car - not convenient.

Thanks so much for the quick response and the very thorough write up on how to install aftermarket DRL. I'm going to go order some now! :)

Thanks again!

I'm planning to put a 2-amp fuse in series with my tap. Hopefully with a lower i2t, in the event of a fault in my stuff, it'll blow before the mystery tapped circuit's 10-amp and not disable whatever that circuit operates.

I just completed my DRL installation. I had bought some DRLs that looked real nice and even had a shape that followed the bumper line in the lower intake grill. I just couldn't make myself install them though. It still looked add on and I personally don't like to do those kinds of upgrades.(My personal preference) Using the source as indicated in the first post, I clipped the parking lights out of the circuit and wired them to the power-on source in the PDM. The ground is already there for those lights, so only one wire is needed. I bought some T10, 68 SMD LEDs and replaced the little clear bulb with them. They now power-up with the car and are bright with the same color temperature as the LED headlights. I also in-cased my retrofit wiring in some 1/4" black wire loom so only a person experienced at seeing the underhood wiring may notice a difference.

Personally, I find the look of the add-on DRLs preferable, plus I believe that they are also more effective. I also like now having real amber fog lights...

EVDrive said:
+1 on a pick. Interested to see your solution. I am about to order some led drl but this may be better.

TonyWilliams said:
Do you have a pic of that?
I'll get one and post it Wednesday afternoon.

p.s. - This the T10 LED I used: http://www.ebay.com/itm/120813712877?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Leafboy said:
TonyWilliams said:
Do you have a pic of that?
I'll get one and post it Wednesday afternoon.

p.s. - This the T10 LED I used: http://www.ebay.com/itm/120813712877?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pic as requested:
DRLSmall.jpg

Back