HOW TO: Daytime Running Lights (DRL) installed for $35

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gascant said:
..It's pretty simple and clean to use a 22 gauge fast tap in the power control module and use a chassis ground most anywhere it's convenient.
The PCM "donor" wire is 22 gauge? Just so I buy the right size posi-tap.

DeaneG said:
gascant said:
..It's pretty simple and clean to use a 22 gauge fast tap in the power control module and use a chassis ground most anywhere it's convenient.
The PCM "donor" wire is 22 gauge? Just so I buy the right size posi-tap.
Seems to be. It's the same diameter as the wire that comes with the DRL kit.

GeekEV said:
...Locate the red wire #57...Any questions?
My DRLs are here, posi-taps on the way... but what does wire 57 already supply power to? Any idea what it is fused for (maybe 2-5 amps if it is 22 gauge)?

The #57 wire is the signal line used to trigger the ignition relay, it doesn't directly power anything as best I can tell. There is a 10A fuse, but if I'm reading the diagram right that's after the relay...

GeekEV said:
The #57 wire is the signal line used to trigger the ignition relay, it doesn't directly power anything as best I can tell. There is a 10A fuse, but if I'm reading the diagram right that's after the relay...
It would be a BAD IDEA to tap off the relay coil driver circuit, I recommend you tap off AFTER the relay!

-Phil

The relay coils are typically driven by a small FET or darlington transistor, and are not made to have additional loads placed on them. You could suddenly have the driver fail which would leave you stranded. After the relay is fine, as this is why the relay exists in the first place!

-Phil

I may not be reading the service manual diagrams correctly. They're a little hard to read if you're not used to their conventions. You don't have a copy you could double check by chance, do you? What am I saying, of course you do! :)

It looks like the ignition relay is right there in the power distribution module, do I can't understand why they would have its driver wire run through a harness and be exposed like that when it would make more sense to just run a short trace on the backside of the board. So perhaps it is after the relay. Or I suppose it could be the feed wire coming IN to the power distribution module. I dunno. But it works. Now that you've brought it up, I'd like to get some third party verification of where I tapped. I don't want to steer people wrong, but I just couldn't find a more accessible ignition on feed anywhere. :-o

GeekEV said:
I may not be reading the service manual diagrams correctly. They're a little hard to read if you're not used to their conventions. You don't have a copy you could double check by chance, do you? What am I saying, of course you do! :)

Which pages are you reading? I might also take a look at it. It doesn't seem to be convenient to take it from the fuse block.

One thing I have noticed is that the DRLs come on instantaneously with the push of the ignition switch, whereas the LED Headlights (if in Auto mode) take a split second or more. It's very noticeable at work, where we have filmed (reflective) windows.

PCS-15 thru PCS-17, PCS-20 thru PCS-22, PG-63, PG-78, PG-83

Specifically, on page PCS-17 it is labeled as Ignition Relay Power Supply. On the wiring diagram on PCS-22, however it looks like it *is* on the switched side of the relay and after a 10A fuse. So I think we're fine after all... I guess I misspoke when I suggested it was triggering the relay.

GeekEV said:
PCS-15 thru PCS-17, PCS-20 thru PCS-22, PG-63, PG-78, PG-83

Specifically, on page PCS-17 it is labeled as Ignition Relay Power Supply. On the wiring diagram on PCS-22, however it looks like it *is* on the switched side of the relay and after a 10A fuse. So I think we're fine after all... I guess I misspoke when I suggested it was triggering the relay.
OK, it looks like the ignition relay has 2 circuits running through it, mainly the driver (coil) and the contactor (bar). See page PCS-23. Pin 57 is definitely in the contactor circuit, so no worry about killing everything switched by the relay. Given the convention of the wiring diagrams, it's also on the downstream side of the 10A fuse.

Am I right to interpret that signal as going to the inverter? It's only a 22 gauge wire so it can't be doing a whole lot other than convey that the ignition relay is energized? Or am I way off base on that? It also looks like there is a vacant fuse slot adjacent to the one used for pin 57 (going to the unused pin 59). So, I wonder if another solution would be use that fuse position with an Add A Circuit tap (select the 3 Amp fuse) and crimp the DRL leads into that?

Yes, I think it's just a signal line. I'm not sure there's enough room in there for one of those add a circuits, but you could try it... I didn't know those existed when I did mine.

OK, I took a careful look at the schematics and the distribution box, and pin 57 is definitely fed from the relay contact closure and is protected by a 10 amp fuse. So, no worries.

GeekEV said:
Yes, I think it's just a signal line. I'm not sure there's enough room in there for one of those add a circuits, but you could try it... I didn't know those existed when I did mine.
Too late. I already did it the same way you did yours (but I only fed 1 DRL power lead into the PDM and using a red fast tap).

GeekEV said:

Hey guys. I've got my lights and I'm digging around in the "engine compartment" to try and hook them up... Sorry to be dense here, but where "exactly" is this wire 57? Or is the wire that you used easier to get to, GeekEV?

Go back and read the original post. I've got step by step directions with pictures. That should answer your questions. :D

des anyone know how to use the fog lights as daaylight running lights? Thank You Jim Tubbs Nashville

Back