How often have you charged away from home?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In about 7 weeks and ~2900 miles:

1x L2 Dixon CA heading on a 100mi round trip to Fairfield CA.
1x L2 CVS Pharmacy in Folsom CA
2x L2 Chargepoint Roseville Galleria - shopping and dinner both times
4x L2 Chargepoint Downtown Sacramento at Harv's metro car wash. My wife and I will go to Chipotle then get drinks at Starbucks and walk around
10x L1 charging at work on days I picked up carpool buddy that increases round trip to ~70mi
Also have stopped at 3-4 other chargers (mostly Chargepoint) to check them out and get them on the map.

Have had on many occasions people asking questions about the car and mentioning that they are surprised to see someone actually using the charger. Hopefully they see a lot more of this!

I can't get Blink to send me an RFID card. New charging stations are going in the Tucson area, but no cards are being issued or activated here as far as I can tell. Charging stations meanwhile gather dust.

my wife charges at work when she takes the car (tuesday and thursday). If she goes out to eat or goes to the store at lunch time she has to quick charge to get home (happens once every week on average).

Beyond that its only been a few times. Three or so QCs over the weekend, a couple of Level 2's at some restaurants (reasons for picking them) and once at a whole foods visiting my brother in law because the QCs weren't available yet.

Pipcecil said:
my wife charges at work when she takes the car (tuesday and thursday). If she goes out to eat or goes to the store at lunch time she has to quick charge to get home (happens once every week on average).

Beyond that its only been a few times. Three or so QCs over the weekend, a couple of Level 2's at some restaurants (reasons for picking them) and once at a whole foods visiting my brother in law because the QCs weren't available yet.

Must be nice to have access to a L3 charging station.

My longest trip was just under 400 miles roughly round trip in two days, requiring charging at two Chargepoint stations, two Nissan dealers, the Vallejo Ferry Terminal, and the Fairfield Transportation Center. The trip was more of an adventure, and served to confirm in my mind that the Leaf really isn't appropriate for road trips.

I have charged once away from home in 2,000 miles and 2 months of driving. I charged at a Charge Point Network Charger in Honolulu. I didnt need the charge, but wanted to find out how well it worked. It was quite easy to charge with my little card. - Well after I asked the truck parked in the ev spot if they wouldn't mind moving. We definitely need more charging infrastructure.

Randy3 said:
4 times at an RV park in Oakhurst for trips to Yosemite
Once at an RV park in Coarsegold (emergency -- I when too far enjoying the drive)
In a side question, I'd like to know how far away from home LEAFers have traveled. My record is 264 miles round trip.
Once, I traveled from home in Exeter to San Francisco via Santa Cruz. 280 miles one way :)
I topped up in Fresno, got a full charge in Los Banos, and charged while sleeping at a campground near Santa Cruz. The next morning I parked at Luscious Garage and let it top up while I attended the solar expo a couple blocks away.

When you go to Yosemite, do you charge in Yosemite Valley? Or is the charge in Oakhurst sufficient?
I hear there are a charging stations in Yosemite Valley, apparently they use them for their electric buses and they're available to the public if you call ahead, but I'd like to hear reports from anybody who has actually used them.

I've had the car since January. My charging patterns have been as follows:

* Every night at home
* About once a week at a 110 outlet at work
* A couple times at a friends house
* Once at babies-r-us with an extension cord and courtesy of the manager
* Numerous times at parking lot 110v christmas light outlets
* Once at a 110v outlet outside a hair salon
* Once at the Nissan Public event in Tampa (80 miles from home)
* Once at the local zoo
* Several times at the Buffalo Wild Wings chain of restaurants
* 3 times at the local Nissan dealership while picking up parts for my ICE
* Once at a Nissan dealership that was about 60 miles from home
* An uncountable number of times at public chargers around the city.

I just ordered a voltec charger to install at a friends house across town, so I can plug in whenever we stop by over there to visit.

10,245 miles, zero emissions.

ElectricVehicle said:
You might try working poiltely with some of the UPS corporate green types. I know in my area they do so some neighborhood deliveries in some open bed utility cart type vehicles to cut the oil consumption. With some of the progressive things they are doing for the fleet, it seems like a good time to enable their employees to use less oil getting to their jobs at and for UPS. Of course the oil expense of commuting to work doesn't come out of UPS' budget, so you have to help them see the value! If they're worried about employee perks, maybe it needs to be a networked charger with payment system via Blink, ChargePoint, whatever and they charge $0.50/hour. OR $1/hour, but any contribution from the employee will ease the "special perks" jealousy.

Offer them the use of the story in their annual stockholder report and annual green report / audit to boost their green cred based on real actions that help employees reduce oil consumption and carbon emissions getting to work. That's cheap advertising.

off topic, but here it the response....

Thanks for you comment. I reached out for our Sustainability team to get insights on your request and passed it on. Here’s what I learned. On the surface, offering charging stations may seem pretty simple but actually presents a variety of complexities. These include having an infrastructure of electric outlets that employees can easily access in a parketing lot and the level of electricity required and its associated costs. Also we need to think about issues around fairness for our employees to ensure we can offer it to all employees who want to “plug in”. With nearly 2000 operating facilities, it would be challening and expensive to scale this offering across our company. They’ve also had reports from other companies who have had issues with some of the equipment since installation. That said, it is good to hear that employees are thinking about how they can make a difference in this area. Thanks again.

Back