How much would you pay for a BMW i3?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sparky did several 0-60 runs and saw 9.17 seconds from the CAN-bus:

see this thread

Unscientifically I timed this video a few times and saw roughly 9.1 seconds which is in line with the above.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7SzVyMjBcM[/youtube]

TomMoloughney said:
... Before everyone gets all defensive about the 3.3kW being sufficient, I agree it is - for most people, just not me. ...
You won't hear that from me...I think it's the dumbest design decision Nissan made on the LEAF...yes even worse than the Carwings nag at start up. ;) I agree that 16a can be enough at home, but that's a reason to put in a 16a EVSE, not to limit the car to 3.3kW. That way folks could choose the charging speed that fits their lifestyle.

Most all the automotive magazines have been coming up with 0-60 times in the high 9 seconds for the Leaf...

TomMoloughney said:
Hey Tony, I did read the 90mph top speed(electronically governed) somewhere, but I'll take your word for it to be 94. The 0-60 time is definitely strange though.

davewill said:
TomMoloughney said:
... Before everyone gets all defensive about the 3.3kW being sufficient, I agree it is - for most people, just not me. ...
You won't hear that from me...I think it's the dumbest design decision Nissan made on the LEAF...

The Leaf does not have many mistakes designed into it, but this is the one that needs to be fixed ASAP.

At home and overnight the 3.3kw charger is fine, however when I am on the road and want to get to the next stop this is one is really bad.

The J1772 spec allows up to 80 amps and this should be the next option. If not 80 then at least do 50 amps. Every RV park I have been to in the last year has 50 amp outlet in every camp spot.

Oh yes and the price of the BMW i3 should be about half way between MSRP of the Leaf and the base Tesla. Any more than halfway and I would just save my money for the Model S instead.

KJD said:
Oh yes and the price of the BMW i3 should be about half way between MSRP of the Leaf and the base Tesla. Any more than halfway and I would just same my money for the Model S instead.

I pretty much think you hit the nail right on the head:

LEAF SL: $37,250; Model S 40kWh: $57,400; BMW i3: $45,000??

As much as I would like the i3, if it is $45,000 it just doesn't make sense for me.

gergg said:
As much as I would like the i3, if it is $45,000 it just doesn't make sense for me.
Indeed. I voted for under $40k, because I just can't see spending more than that (minus subsidies) for a car with limited range. But my driving needs are skewed almost totally to road trips of 100+ miles, so I'm an outlier. As to QC I wouldn't buy an EV without it, even though the infrastructure is still largely non-existent. I'm completely agnostic on CHaDeMo/SAE. But given the choice of what I'd spend my money on, more range has to take priority over just about everything else.

davewill said:
TomMoloughney said:
You won't hear that from me...I think it's the dumbest design decision Nissan made on the LEAF...yes even worse than the Carwings nag at start up. ;) I agree that 16a can be enough at home, but that's a reason to put in a 16a EVSE, not to limit the car to 3.3kW. That way folks could choose the charging speed that fits their lifestyle.
+1

On topic, base i3 may have a difficult time selling above low $40k without a 3 digit EPA range.

Back