How much do you pay for insurance for your LEAF?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i was pretty surprised at how reasonable the insurance was. i replaced a 14 year old car, so i expected a huge jump. yes, it was significant, but not beyond what any new car at that price range would have been.

there is a lot of work going on by first responders on how to train personnel when they approach an accident scene involving an EV. law enforcement is very concerned that police, fire, ambulance, etc., personnel will be at risk of injury to themselves or to those involved in an accident if they do not treat the battery with healthy respect. they are creating training to make sure that they can safely respond to an accident.

My renewal with Electric Insurance (yes, really) is up a bit to $530/year from $478/year when I bought the LEAF. That's with $1000 deductible and 250k/500k/100k liability plus multi-car and auto/house discounts.

However, I also pay $185/year for a $1 million umbrella policy, which I bought when the lawyers in the state legislature threw out our perfectly good no-fault insurance system in favor of "sue 'em 'til they drop" style auto insurance. I consider the umbrella part of my car insurance protection.

To Valdamar, I loved my tribeca but I averaged 17.1 MPH and it had a tiny gas tank. I am a Tech Geek and the Leaf appealed to me.

At this stage in my life I can live with the Leaf's mileage limitations.

On Sat I went to the TRW swap meet 38 miles from here. I started out with 100% and used the cruse control to drive 57 indicated or near 55. When I got to the swap meet I had about 55 miles on the guess meter.

I drove home like a teenager and I had 9 miles showing. I can live with the miles per charge.

I'm a 45yr old male with a pretty safe driving record (no speeding tickets, parking tickets, or accidents in the last 10+ years) living near the bay area of California and driving ~12000mi/yr. My policy ($2500 deductible covering collision and liability etc) is through Geico, and costs $343 per 6 months, which seemed not unreasonable to me.

The 2011 Sonata turbo and 2005 Mustang GT both come in under 500, so clearly the cost is principally driven by price to replace/repair more so than inherent risk of the vehicle to be driven in such a way as to cause damage.

All EV owners should get a premium break as EVs are as near to impossible to steal as one can get. No hot wiring my Leaf!

My insurance is basically same as 8 yr old Prius insurance, slightly higher. Surprisingly little difference.

But 2 people with clean records will pay differently in 2 different cities.

DesertDenizen said:
All EV owners should get a premium break as EVs are as near to impossible to steal as one can get. No hot wiring my Leaf!
Yes, but they are very expensive to repair when in an accident, as you can see from the several threads reporting damaged cars here. My insurance went up 15% after the first 6-month policy term because Allstate put the Leaf in the next higher rate class due to this, and they weren't the only company to do so.

There must be a half-dozen insurance threads on the forum already. Try these:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5769
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2020
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1943
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5159

It is nearly useless to compare insurance costs because balancing all the variables is difficult: location, coverage limits, driver record, multiple car discounts, etc., all effect costs on an individual basis. In my experience, the Leaf is an expensive car to insure (relatively), contrary to the happy talk I heard before I bought that EVs would get insurance discounts and be cheaper.

TT

my insurance is $1270 a year with $500 deductible and 200k-500k coverage.
this is my daily car going 14k a year for driving to work.
i consider it high.
I am a safe driver, with no accidents and no tickets, with education and multiple car discounts.
I am not a youngster, like some of you 50-year-olds.
we have an audi that is one year older for $1100 a year. scored for fewer miles driven.

this in no way compares to the driving habits of the typical audi owner.

Back