How many miles before you need new tires?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Volusiano

Not sure if I've seen a thread on this yet, so I figure I'd start one.

I went to have my second (15K miles) free tire rotation done at Discount Tire last weekend and they told me that my tires are pretty much worn out. They said that maybe I can get one more rotation out of it, but will probably need to get new tires at around 20K miles. They said OEM tires almost always never last very long.

Since the Leaf's been out for a while now and many people are using up their OEM tires, I'm curious to do a poll to see how many miles people got out of their OEM tires before needing replacement, and which tires they replaced them with, for how much (out the door for set of 4), and where? Thanks.

I just reached 20,000 miles and my tires are down to about 1/8th of an inch. I live in the foothills and the roads really eat tires. I figure I'll need new ones in another 5000 or so miles. May get some of those Michelin tires that are suppose to save you a 100 gallons of gasoline over their life. I figure it would help on the rolling efficiency and give a better overall tire life.

Mine were complete crap by 13,000 miles (I tend to drive somewhat aggressively - I love curves and the twisties) with chunking and a number of other issues not directly related to tread wear. Even if they hadn't been, I would have ditched them anyway for a variety of reasons as they were miserable and fragile tires even brand new! I run 40psi cold by the way.

After much research, I replaced them with Michelin Primacy MXV4 LLRs. It is a night and day difference in handling, braking, ride and performance, even compared to when the Ecrapias were new! I've seen no statistically significant difference in range. I got them at Costco with the Road Hazard Warranty, out the door for about $535 with the rebate. I have never had such poor performance and mileage out of an OEM tire before on any vehicle!

Volusiano said:
Since the Leaf's been out for a while now and many people are using up their OEM tires, I'm curious to do a poll to see how many miles people got out of their OEM tires before needing replacement, and which tires they replaced them with, for how much (out the door for set of 4), and where? Thanks.

I am also at 15K with shot tires. Looking at three but am now leaning towards the Pirelli Cinturato P7 LRR.

It is an Ultra Performance summer tire, LRR, very light at 18lbs and has a wear rating only a bit less than stock at a stock tire price. If I can get 10K out of a high performance LRR tire, I will be happy. Ordering next week.

I really want to replace the tires (probably with the Michelins) but what to do with the stock ones? Just throw them away? Save them to put back on at lease end? Never leased a car before, so don't know what matters about tires when you turn it in.

Thoughts?

I'm just at 16,000 miles and think my tires have plenty left in them. I don't have a tire gauge but I should be able to get a depth measurement with my digital caliper. Stay tuned.

Edit: I'm at a pretty consistent 6mm left on each tire but the passenger side front, which comes in at a little over 5mm left.

Edit 2: Minimum legal tread depth in CA appears to be 4/32, or 3.18mm in new money

Edit 3: Tires had 7.94mm depth when new. So mine are only 25% gone.

Edit 4: Assuming the same rate of wear, these tires should last me 40,000 miles before they're "legally" wore out.

Electric4Me said:
I'm at 21k and the uneven wear is what will kill me first. Too much fun in the clover leafs... :lol:
You know, some nice new summer tires will make those clover leafs even more fun. ;)

There's a couple corners on my commute I like to toss the LEAF around on a bit. Makes me wish the suspension were a bit firmer and and the tires just a bit more grippy. Anyone figure out how to get a swaybar on the rear of the car yet?

At 11k mine look like they will last another 10-15k at least. I tend to drive conservatively in corners with the Leaf as I just don't feel safe pushing it, 0 steering feedback is about the only thing I hate about the car. Almost hit the curb once on exit from a 90-degree turn as the car went a much steeper trajectory than I expected. Overall the car is well-balanced it is just I don't find it predictable (and enjoyable) at the limits.

TomT said:
After much research, I replaced them with Michelin Primacy MXV4 LLRs. It is a night and day difference in handling, braking, ride and performance, even compared to when the Ecrapias were new! I've seen no statistically significant difference in range. I got them at Costco with the Road Hazard Warranty, out the door for about $535 with the rebate.
I think I'm going to go with these from Costco, too, when the time comes for me.

Holy sheep dip batman! Am I just that easy on tires or are there serious things I need to know about Leaf tires. In last new cars I bought, tires (even those stupid firestone ones) lasted well over 50,000 miles. Has something changed in last 10 years (how long it's been since i bought)?

btw, i agree with earlier post, when it comes to replacing, will catch the 'fuel max' version from goodyear.

Has anyone considered the run flat tires? Extra $400 for the set but then no spare worries.
Otherwise I probably will go with Fuel Max from GY. 65,000 mile warranty I plan to hold them to it.

smkettner said:
Has anyone considered the run flat tires? Extra $400 for the set but then no spare worries.
Otherwise I probably will go with Fuel Max from GY. 65,000 mile warranty I plan to hold them to it.

Heavy (typically 24-26lbs each) and right at the perimeter where it will hit you the most. Would be nice if you got a flat though.

I have just over 11,000 miles on my LEAF and had the tires rotated at 7,500, just as recommended. They show very little wear. I inflate them to 38psi and then top them back up when they drop to 36.

At 14,000 miles our tires are toast from mountain roads - lots of shoulder wear, with the sub-tread layer starting to show in that area. Finally getting them replaced this week with Kumho Solus KR-22 Eco tires. Based on our experience with the KR-21 tires on the Prius, we're expecting 30-40K miles out of them.

kovalb said:
I inflate them to 38psi and then top them back up when they drop to 36.

I got alot of edge wear running mid 30s. A sign of under inflation. I am currently running 50psi to work on the middle more but honestly, they are toast!

TRONZ said:
I got alot of edge wear running mid 30s. A sign of under inflation. I am currently running 50psi to work on the middle more but honestly, they are toast!

Perhaps, but also could be due to aggressive driving (not talking about mountain roads), do you guys accelerate going around a curve or do you coast?. OEM tires are notorious for not having a long life, many suspect its due to the manufacturer wanting a lighter tire to get better EPA numbers.

I've been running 44 psi for 23,000 miles now, rotated every 7,500 miles. Wear is extremely even across all tires and I haven't even gone through half the tread. I'll probably replace them next Spring/Summer.

Back