How do Factory Orders Work?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michapok

I put in an order (VPP if that makes a difference) at a dealership here in NY back on March 31. At the time they said it should be about 6-8 weeks for the Leaf to come in. It's now eight weeks later and they say they still don't have a 'purchase order'. My main question is, how does this usually work? Should it be taking this long?

I was told it takes 6 months, that's why I searched around and the first one I found that was close to what I wanted I bought.

I wanted an SL with all options, the one I found was missing one option.

michapok said:
I put in an order (VPP if that makes a difference) at a dealership here in NY back on March 31. At the time they said it should be about 6-8 weeks for the Leaf to come in. It's now eight weeks later and they say they still don't have a 'purchase order'. My main question is, how does this usually work? Should it be taking this long?
that doesn't sound good at all, why do you need to have one specially made for you?

apvbguy said:
that doesn't sound good at all, why do you need to have one specially made for you?

I've been looking through autotrader.com and there are only about three Metallic Slate SV's East of the Rockies, and of those none are the premium package. So, had to put in an order.

I "put in an order" for my '13 Leaf SV+Prem+QC, because we didn't want to bend on packages or color. The dealership did try to explain to me why it's a complicated process, and it sounded awfully convoluted to me. Basically they get a monthly allocation (of which they can't guarantee when that will occur), and after they get allocated a Leaf, they can go in the system and customize it. Then it gets built and shipped to them. Most of those "allocations" get typical or default configurations, and they go on the lot. They were willing to request one the way I wanted, as long as I was willing to wait for it. I placed the "order" the first week of April, they confirmed that they got their allocation & configured it later in April, and told me to expect it in June. No actual date yet. You'd think they'd have a better process... but then again, from their perspective they'd rather sell the cars on the lot.

One is definitely swimming upstream with a factory order, or at least that's been my experience. But I'm kind of stubborn once I know what I want. The LEAF was my first car that I *didn't* special-order, in 30 years. There weren't that many variations, and they had just the one I wanted sitting on the lot with the plastic film still on it. :p

Hey Poughkeepsie...
Wappingers here. We placed our order for a Metallic Slate SV back on April 20th over at Poughkeepsie Nissan. I figured it took them close to a week to place the actual order, so I'm only out 5 weeks so far. It's been very quiet however...I thought I'd at least receive some sort of letter confirmation from Nissan that the order was received. I guess I should be in no rush to install that charger I purchased.
michapok said:
apvbguy said:

I've been looking through autotrader.com and there are only about three Metallic Slate SV's East of the Rockies, and of those none are the premium package. So, had to put in an order.

Sounds like we'll be twins with our Slate SVs! :D

As 'iluvmacs' said, it takes a while to even get an allocation of a leaf, and then a while longer for Nissan to confirm that they received the customization. According to my sales guy it then takes a few weeks before they get a delivery date (where we are now). I'll let you know when I hear anything else.

Thanks! I'd appreciate the updates.
michapok said:
Sounds like we'll be twins with our Slate SVs! :D

As 'iluvmacs' said, it takes a while to even get an allocation of a leaf, and then a while longer for Nissan to confirm that they received the customization. According to my sales guy it then takes a few weeks before they get a delivery date (where we are now). I'll let you know when I hear anything else.

Hope you don't mind, but I'm checking your're posts regularly to see if you received a delivery date...
We placed our order on April 20th. We were told that it would take close to a week to formally place the order with Nissan, and then it would be 8-10 weeks. The last I heard was that it "would definitely be in July"...I probably won't even call the dealer again until you have received a delivery date on yours. I figure I'll have a solid month lag behind you.

Fred

michapok said:
I call about once a week to check in but no luck so far - 10.5 weeks so far and still waiting on a delivery date.

No problem. I checked again on Monday and no news yet. As my salesman told me 'Don't hesitate to call anytime to check in' so I've been making it a fairly regular weekly phone call. We'll see what happens with the June sales whether they're having some serious supply/quality issues I suppose.

Unfortunately I'm pretty picky when it comes to color/package and there's only one Metallic Slate (and it's an SL, not SV+premium). I've looked thru the listings every so often, even tried calling some dealers to find out exactly the package that's on their cars when the listing isn't detailed enough but have never been successful.

None of this is to say that my dealer isn't stalling me for some other reason, but I'm kind of at their mercy until Nissan institutes a Tesla-like buying experience (fat chance of that)

Just browsing the web during lunch...I found a Metalic Slate SV with the premium package in Newburgh. You probably saw it already, but I wanted to forward you the link just in case...

http://www.newburghnissan.com/car/197221/2013_Nissan_LEAF_SV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looks like it comes with the floor mats & splash guards.

michapok said:
Unfortunately I'm pretty picky when it comes to color/package and there's only one Metallic Slate (and it's an SL, not SV+premium). I've looked thru the listings every so often, even tried calling some dealers to find out exactly the package that's on their cars when the listing isn't detailed enough but have never been successful.

None of this is to say that my dealer isn't stalling me for some other reason, but I'm kind of at their mercy until Nissan institutes a Tesla-like buying experience (fat chance of that)

Well, heard today that they can't do the swap so I'm back to waiting on the delivery from TN. Maybe it's not a bad thing as they work the kinks out of the Smyrna line. Still, it's now been three months since we put our deposit down.

Sorry to hear that. It's not fair that it's so close & they can't work out something.

Last week I actually received a call from my dealer over at Poughkeepsie Nissan. He said that the car is scheduled for delivery "The week of July 5th". He even gave me a VIN number...but I'll believe it when I see it. I know that all mfg plants cycle through production of cars with certain specs, but I placed my order a solid month after you placed yours.

All that phone call really did was force me to spend my entire weekend in the garage...working on the installation of a home charging station.

michapok said:
Well, heard today that they can't do the swap so I'm back to waiting on the delivery from TN. Maybe it's not a bad thing as they work the kinks out of the Smyrna line. Still, it's now been three months since we put our deposit down.

Back