Help! They can't seem to fix my Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 21: Still no Leaf in my driveway; dealership still unable to repair it. Called the Nissan complaint desk on Wednesday and had them open a file on the case. They're supposed to get back to me today. Looks like if it can't be fixed I'll have to deal with the Nissan dealer in Manassas that leased me the car. Hopefully that won't be too painful, but who knows. Starting to think about leasing a Fiat 500 or a Scion. Gas powered cars are looking pretty good these days.

BaldEagle said:
Day 21: Still no Leaf in my driveway; dealership still unable to repair it. Called the Nissan complaint desk on Wednesday and had them open a file on the case. They're supposed to get back to me today. Looks like if it can't be fixed I'll have to deal with the Nissan dealer in Manassas that leased me the car. Hopefully that won't be too painful, but who knows. Starting to think about leasing a Fiat 500 or a Scion. Gas powered cars are looking pretty good these days.

I think you need to be compensated by the dealer or go ahead and research your state's Lemon Law.

Sorry to hear this but, wish you the best.

Ian B

I guess I don't understand the thought process here and please feel free to jump down my throat, but why not take the loaner? Get it in writing that the miles driven in the loaner won't count towards your car and drive the heck out of it.

mhigley said:
I guess I don't understand the thought process here and please feel free to jump down my throat, but why not take the loaner? Get it in writing that the miles driven in the loaner won't count towards your car and drive the heck out of it.

Probably because he is making payments on a car that he can't drive till fixed. I would be pissed too and looking at Texas Lemon Law.

Ian B

I'm back! I guess I didn't take the loaner because Nissan would have paid, but it would be through a rental car company and I didn't want to hassle with them if I was in a fender bender. It would have been an added nuisance and I generally don't trust rental car companies. You seem to sign your life away every time you fill out those forms.
Anyway, I heard back from Customer Service today (Brenda) and she was great. Since Wednesday, she contacted both the dealer from whom I leased the Leaf (Sheehy) and the dealer who is working on it (Rosenthal). She had Sheehy call me about 1) ending the lease or 2) getting me in new car and they seemed both sympathetic to my situation and interested in resolving it. She also indicated that Rosenthal seems to have fixed the original problem, but now it won't accept a charge. So a new on board charger (or whatever it is) is being delivered and installed next Tuesday (2/19) and who knows, maybe it will solve the problem and I'll be on the road again, listening to the Grateful Dead channel on XM. I feel better about the situation now because it seems as if I will either have my Leaf fixed and ready next week, or I have the option to perhaps end the lease or get a new vehicle. I think Customer Service shook some trees, and the response I received was encouraging. Either that or I'm in the early stages of Stockholm Syndrome and I'm starting to like my captors.
Also, Nissan said they would compensate me for my lease payment for the month, along with what I'm paying in car insurance. And I didn't even have to ask. Things are looking up, perhaps. Maybe I won't get that Hummer after all.

Thanks for the update, very good to hear. Hopefully, you will be able to get a satisfactory resolution.
troubleshootmnl

Why wouldn't you take them up on the offer to bail on the lease and jump into a 2013 lease, probably at a lower price than you are paying now?

BaldEagle said:
I'm back! I guess I didn't take the loaner because Nissan would have paid, but it would be through a rental car company and I didn't want to hassle with them if I was in a fender bender. It would have been an added nuisance and I generally don't trust rental car companies. You seem to sign your life away every time you fill out those forms.
Anyway, I heard back from Customer Service today (Brenda) and she was great. Since Wednesday, she contacted both the dealer from whom I leased the Leaf (Sheehy) and the dealer who is working on it (Rosenthal). She had Sheehy call me about 1) ending the lease or 2) getting me in new car and they seemed both sympathetic to my situation and interested in resolving it. She also indicated that Rosenthal seems to have fixed the original problem, but now it won't accept a charge. So a new on board charger (or whatever it is) is being delivered and installed next Tuesday (2/19) and who knows, maybe it will solve the problem and I'll be on the road again, listening to the Grateful Dead channel on XM. I feel better about the situation now because it seems as if I will either have my Leaf fixed and ready next week, or I have the option to perhaps end the lease or get a new vehicle. I think Customer Service shook some trees, and the response I received was encouraging. Either that or I'm in the early stages of Stockholm Syndrome and I'm starting to like my captors.
Also, Nissan said they would compensate me for my lease payment for the month, along with what I'm paying in car insurance. And I didn't even have to ask. Things are looking up, perhaps. Maybe I won't get that Hummer after all.

Wow that is awesome customer service from Nissan. If car not ready next Tuesday, I would go w option to end lease and get a 2013.

Ian B

I just might get a 2013 lease if they can match the $169/month I'm paying now. It's a pretty great deal. Almost free when you consider what I don't spend on gas.

That's great!

I didn't realize that they were just going to pay for the rental gasser. I wouldn't have done that either.

The 2013s look pretty cool. I can't wait to see how much better the heater does on th

Day 30. Still not working. Replaced on-board charger twice. Maybe they'll know by Monday. Losing hope. Want my money (and time) back. A complete and utter drag.

BaldEagle said:
Day 30. Still not working. Replaced on-board charger twice. Maybe they'll know by Monday. Losing hope. Want my money (and time) back. A complete and utter drag.
Time to insist on ending the lease or getting a replacement Leaf. You are never going to trust this one even if they eventually fix it.

You also probably want to make an official Lemon Law claim, if your situation makes you eligible. There are dates involved that can affect the how much money you end up with. It will also make it clear that they can't stall you any more.

Somewhat parallels my experience from November to Mid-January. The original problem was the same but it morphed to a mechanical problem when the tow driver hooked onto the undercarriage instead of the approved tow pin. What I thought was a loaner turned out to be a charge to me and again no release of the auto until State Farm intervened. The car suddenly started working on its own amd the dealer was unable to find the codes that might describe what the issue was. This reoccurs from time to time, but turning it off and restarting it seems to cure it. Love the Leaf and difficult experiences are becomming less and less.

We had our bought back under the lemon law for them taking over 30 days to fix.

Check with the Governor's Office of Consumer Protection before you take them up on any deals. Once you make a deal with them, it can limit your ability to get the protection under the lemon law.

Patrick

I got my Leaf back! 7 weeks and countless phone calls later, I finally received a call from the dealer saying it was fixed and ready to pick up. I've been driving it for a week now (200+ miles) and so far so good (knock wood). Nissan also cut me a check for $500 for my troubles, so I'm pretty happy with that. Hopefully we won't have any more trouble like that during the course of the lease. All I can say is I am very happy that I leased and didn't buy. This technology may come good in a few years, or is perhaps a transition technology to something like hydrogen, but it's definitely a work in progress. If all goes well, I'll do another lease in a couple of years. Happy driving!

BaldEagle said:
I got my Leaf back! 7 weeks and countless phone calls later, I finally received a call from the dealer saying it was fixed and ready to pick up. I've been driving it for a week now (200+ miles) and so far so good (knock wood). Nissan also cut me a check for $500 for my troubles, so I'm pretty happy with that. Hopefully we won't have any more trouble like that during the course of the lease. All I can say is I am very happy that I leased and didn't buy. This technology may come good in a few years, or is perhaps a transition technology to something like hydrogen, but it's definitely a work in progress. If all goes well, I'll do another lease in a couple of years. Happy driving!
Please post again in a couple of weeks so we know if it is really fixed. Your case may serve as guidance for others in similar situations.

Back