Help, need navigation while driving

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drmanny3

So anyone out there figure out how we can bypass the system to use our navigation while driving. It was done for the Prius. At first it was a software change. Everytime you started the car you could access the software and then defeat the system. Then Prius change the system. So someone came up with a fix that was plug and play. It automatically goes through the screen approving the use of the navigation. You then have x number of seconds to input your info. The screen then goes blank as it searches for its location. It comes back on and you can continue filling in your info. Once done you can then tell it to take you there. So it is a work around but is so much better than having to stop to input. I think what they did was electronically dis connect the speed sensor wire. We need someone to work on this. Also I want access to the phone system during driving. In the prius this was possible by inserting a switch for a wire unique to the phone. When activated the phone works as if the car is stopped. You can swith it back easily. It did stop the wheels from turning in the graphic display, but seems not to have impacted anything of importance. So who is going to look into this stuff. We need help.
Manny

http://www.evnut.com/prius_speed_wire.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.coastaletech.com/lockpick3.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hey, that second picture is one I took in my 2006 Prius! HeHe! :D I was also the one who created the "Anytime Backup Camera Video" mod, and Daryll asked my permission to publish it.
I'm sure that the mod on a Leaf is probably very similar, just temporarily removing the VSS signal from the NAV, so it thinks you aren't moving. There was another post on this same subject recently, and I believe someone even posted the pin number of the harness connector you need to cut. Do a search. I won't have my Leaf until December, otherwise I'd try it for you.

Wow. If someone can help with this that would be amazing. It would be nice if the range was better, the car was cheaper, etc. but the only thing that makes me want to put my fist through the display is this navigation locking! :evil:

The only time we ever seem to need the navigation is while I am with my wife and we change our minds and want to try a new restraunt or something like this. In this case we are always already moving AND my wife is sitting in the passenger seat with her seat belt on trying to enter a new address in short bursts everytime we get to a stop sign!?!

-Mike

Both of those Prius mods should work for the LEAF too. As you say, it's just a matter of finding the pins. They're pretty easy to identify in the service manual, but I haven't gotten around to trying them on my LEAF yet (I did do them in my Prius though).

Good Afternoon,

Here is a response to my inquiry with the company that did the Prius.

Thank you so much for your inquiry. Unfortunately at this time your Nissan Leaf is not on the approved list of vehicles that work with the LockPick product. However, we are always adding new makes and models to the lineup. I would recommend checking back with us within a couple of months to ensure compatibility with your particular vehicle. Thanks again and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

--

Please let me know if I may assist you further.
Ransom
Coastal Electronics
[email protected]
http://www.CoastalEtech.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1-800-507-2234

I did a search and did not find the reference to the wire location. If you can recall the post, I am willing to cut my wires.
Manny

This is what I gather from the service manual, I've not tried it, so you're on your own. Make sure you have a way to reconnect the wire if it doesn't do what you want. :shock:

There's another thread (one of the audio upgrade threads I think) where someone details how to take out the radio.

On the back of the AV control unit there's a wide, thin connector on the right hand side (as you look at the back). The schematic says wire 28 is the vehicle speed signal. That's the bottom row, fourth pin from the right as you look at the socket on the radio (fourth pin from the left if you unplug it and have the plug facing you).

Good luck! Do let us know if it works!

This is one of the 2 complaints I had about the LEAF after renting the Hertz LEAF from NYC. I set the nav system for Jersey City to get me through the tunnel and out of Manhattan. Once I passed Jersey City I didn't need navigation help, but the nav would keep saying "Ding! Make a legal U-turn" until I eventually stopped at a traffic light where it let me silence it. My other complaint, of course, is the "Accept" screen for Carwings...

I hope no one is planning to set destinations, especially by address, while driving. Have your passenger do it if you find a workaround. Doing it while driving is worse than driving drunk. There are many studies that came to that same conclusion. Better to stop the car for a few seconds than to injure yourself or someone else. Just sayin'.

It definitely seems like if they can lock it when moving over 5mph, they can unlock it when the passenger seat belt is buckled.

mikek said:
It definitely seems like if they can lock it when moving over 5mph, they can unlock it when the passenger seat belt is buckled.
And how do they determine that it is the passenger doing the data entry? I would echo kovalb's comments about distracted driving: "I hope no one is planning to set destinations, especially by address, while driving."

TT

ttweed said:
mikek said:
And how do they determine that it is the passenger doing the data entry? I would echo kovalb's comments about distracted driving: "I hope no one is planning to set destinations, especially by address, while driving."

TT

Here's a tidbit that the smart guys at Microsoft / Clarion overlooked. While stopped, I selected to edit my destination, since I didn't know the address, and it won't let you choose MAP from the MENU/DESTINATION page. So, I just pick anything in the general direction, and then edit with MAP.

I drove off before actually selecting the destination with MAP, and was surprised to learn that I could still move the map while driving. I couldn't select to EDIT the route over 5mph, but know that I had already selected MAP, I could get as distracted as I wanted.

I guess I should have found a loaded school bus to plow into and then sue !! The American Way !!!!

laalan said:
You can cancel navigation by MENU, ROUTE, CANCEL, YES while moving. I do it all the time
Whatever I tried to do did not work while I was moving, but as soon as I stopped, it let me cancel guidance immediately. I'm sure I'll understand better in 7 or 8 months when Nissan sees fit to let me have my own LEAF...

Entering a Nav-to address by voice in the Prius is easy. Simply push the "Voice Input" button (on the steering wheel) and speak:

Destination
Address
<city name>
<street name>
<address number>
Enter

Works quite well, and you can keep your eyes on the road ahead, except for a few fleeting glances at the screen. Both hands remain on the steering wheel the whole time.

Of course the simple backup to the nav system not working is to get my smart-phone out of my pocket and either enter the directions myself or explain to my wife how to do it (not sure which is less distracting). I don't have a good car mount, so the phone nav system requires a little more looking down to find the next turn.

garygid said:
Entering a Nav-to address by voice in the Prius is easy. Simply push the "Voice Input" button (on the steering wheel) and speak:

Destination
Address
<city name>
<street name>
<address number>
Enter

Works quite well, and you can keep your eyes on the road ahead, except for a few fleeting glances at the screen. Both hands remain on the steering wheel the whole time.

In the 2006 Prius trying to input a destination is a disaster in that it does not hear very well and makes a lot of mistakes. But if you are saying the Leaf's voice system is better then I will give it a try. The car should be quieter than the prius.
Manny

drmanny3 said:
garygid said:

Destination
Address
<city name>
<street name>
<address number>
Enter

In the 2006 Prius trying to input a destination is a disaster in that it does not hear very well and makes a lot of mistakes. But if you are saying the Leaf's voice system is better then I will give it a try. The car should be quieter than the prius.
Manny

The Leaf voice system is a pathetic joke. It has about 5 stupid commands. Why lock the user interface when driving if the voice commands are not there? A six year old Acura can easily voice command dozens of commands so why in a LEAF can I only say previous destinations and home for Navigation? Why bother with voice if the most important use of the technology is not used. Why not "find nearest charge station", "find Restaurants". I would love to be in a room with some of the idiots that designed this joke of a system, because it is a sad joke of a compromised product particularly for a 2011 Model Japanese car. And if you are going to make people touch "ok:' on a screen to get the unit on at least separate the buttons and make them larger, there is an entire page of space free on the screen for this and it is a moving car! I actually think Nissan has some of the worst product people in the industry that worked on all the LEAF interfaces, they are not oversights they are just outright stupid implementations. Has anyone noticed other Nissan models with NAV actually have many voice commands and the units are much better? How about a voice command that says "ok" on the first screen! :lol:

Back