Help me create a table of 2013 charging options

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ObiQuiet

Hi! Considering a 2013 Leaf, and have been spending some hours trying to get my mind around the charging options... so I created a table based on the threads and sources I found here on the forum.

a) Is this correct? I'm pretty sure I haven't got it all right... I'm looking for corrections and suggestions.
b) I understand that there are additional options - like 240V at less than 30A, but I can add those later.

ScreenShot635.png

Thank you,
-ObiQuiet

In your profile, you have the option of listing where you live.

This can often make a difference. For example, in Canada 6.6kW is standard for all levels of trim and the 480V quick-charge port is standard on the SV and SL.

I think you need to correct the 480V column. In the USA, The DC quick-charger is standard with the SL and available as an option on the S and SL.

THe DC Fast Charge port (i.e. the place to plug in a public fast charger) is standard on the SL and optional on the S and SV. For the S it is part of the "Charge Package" that also gives you the 6.6kW onboard charger. For the SV it is part of a Headlight/Quick Charge package that also gives you LED headlights (which are also standard on the SL).

You can find all the facts about features and options on the following Nissan web page: 2013 Nissan LEAF Press Kit. Click on "Specs" at the top of that page.

Ray

P.S. Another angle to think about is that there are many public Level 2 EVSEs. You can use them with any LEAF model without having to buy any "after market" equipment. Nearly all of those are at least 30A, though many of them run at 208v rather than 240v, which slows them down a bit. This is where Berlino's comment becomes significant. If we knew where you were we would have a much better idea of what public charging options you have.

Thank you both for the corrections - that's the help I was hoping for! It wasn't clear to me exactly what the combinations meant.

You can find all the facts about features and options on the following Nissan web page: 2013 Nissan LEAF Press Kit. Click on "Specs" at the top of that page.

Thank you, Ray. If I'd found that myself earlier I wouldn't have troubled you.

(I'm in Texas, btw.)

Here is an updated table - hopefully I got it right - let me know.

I see now that one needs both the 6.6kW and an after-market EVSE to get the 4 hour charge time, and that there's only one combination that gets to 7-8 hours. Now that I have a better idea of the EVSE picture, I'd be happy to add additional columns if that's helpful.

ScreenShot636.png

-ObiQuiet

ObiQuiet said:
I see now that one needs both the 6.6kW and an after-market EVSE to get the 4 hour charge time, and that there's only one combination that gets to 7-8 hours.
If you are talking about four hour charging at home, then your statement about it is correct. But, as I said before, you don't need to buy your own EVSE in order to get four hour charging in public. Also, the other way to get 7 hour charging is to buy a 16A EVSE for use at home or to connect to a 240v 20A outlet anywhere. The cheapest way to do that, without building your own, is to have the Level 1 EVSE that comes with the car upgraded to Level 2. That will actually get you about 5-6 hour charging, because it can run at up to 20A.

And, really, the whole business of "four hour" vs. "seven hour" is overblown. It won't take that long unless your battery is nearly completely drained and you are charging it to 100%. The better way to think of it is that the slowest L2 charging gives you 10-15 miles of driving for each hour of charging, and the fastest L2 charging gives up to 25 miles of driving per charging hour. So if you are driving 30 miles/day, your charging time might be 1½ hours (fast L2) or 2½ hours (slow L2). Or 7-8 hours at L1.

Ray

planet4ever said:
P.S. Another angle to think about is that there are many public Level 2 EVSEs. You can use them with any LEAF model without having to buy any "after market" equipment. Nearly all of those are at least 30A, though many of them run at 208v rather than 240v, which slows them down a bit. This is where Berlino's comment becomes significant. If we knew where you were we would have a much better idea of what public charging options you have.
Yep.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=301972#p301972" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; may help the OP. I haven't read this thread carefully yet so I may be smeeking (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=smeek" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). And yes, I'm semi-active on TivoCommunity and we use the term smeek, some of the time.

planet4ever said:
But, as I said before, you don't need to buy your own EVSE in order to get four hour charging in public.
Yep, I understand that now.

planet4ever said:
Also, the other way to get 7 hour charging is to buy a 16A EVSE for use at home or to connect to a 240v 20A outlet anywhere.
Do you mean:
a) a 16A EVSE connected to 240V 20A with the 3.6kW?
or
b) a 16A EVSE connected to 240V 20A with the 6.6kW option?

planet4ever said:
The better way to think of it is that the slowest L2 charging gives you 10-15 miles of driving for each hour of charging, and the fastest L2 charging gives up to 25 miles of driving per charging hour.

I like that better, and am re-working my chart in terms of "miles of range per hour of charging".

Thank you,
-ObiQuiet

ObiQuiet said:
planet4ever said:
Also, the other way to get 7 hour charging is to buy a 16A EVSE for use at home or to connect to a 240v 20A outlet anywhere.
Do you mean:
a) a 16A EVSE connected to 240V 20A with the 3.6kW?
or
b) a 16A EVSE connected to 240V 20A with the 6.6kW option?
Yes. Either one. The charging rate you get will be the lower of the car's maximum charging rate and the EVSE's maximum charging rate. This is assuming you haven't violated the electrical code by hooking up, say, a 30A EVSE to a 20A circuit. More specifically, the code requires that the EVSE not be rated for more than 80% of the circuit capacity, so a 20A circuit can support only a 16A EVSE, a 20A EVSE must be installed on at least a 25A circuit, and a 30A EVSE requires a 40A circuit (actually 37.5A, but there is no such thing).

Ray

Back