Hello & Battery Question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddiebo924

Hello my name is Ed and I’m a potential Leaf buyer. I can’t read enough about it and am hoping it will work for me. I have a bit of a special situation. . .

About a year ago I was in a motorcycle accident and lost my right leg below the knee. Although I’m still waiting for it to grow back J, I’ve done really well with my recovery. Here’s my situation. In both of our vehicles I’ve had “left foot accelerators” installed and they work great. However I’m not sure if they’ll work with the leaf. Reason being is because in order for the installation, they need to install a mounting plate right below the brake pedal. My question for the group is. . . Is the battery directly under the foot pedals of the car or is it set back at all? Just wondering if you guys think there is a decent amount of clearance in the area.

Thanks Much!

I don't think it will be an issue. Almost every vehicle that's fuel injected uses electronic throttle control. This means the pedal does not actually control the throttle, but tells a computer how much it's pushed. The Leaf can only operate this way, as there is no actual throttle or gas flow. This means relocating should be fairly trivial.

The battery itself is actually below your seat. That's the main reason the Leaf feels so "tall" compared to other cars.

Sorry to hear about your motorcycle accident. I'm a fellow rider, and I'm still in the category of "will crash", in terms of "have crashed" and "will crash".

This cutaway gives an idea of where the leading edge of the battery pack is.

640px-2013_Nissan_Leaf_cutaway_(2).jpg

You guys ROCK! Thanks so much for the info. And the picture was EXACTLY what I was looking for.

Yes, I'll be checking with the dealer for sure. Just wanted to see what you guys thought and if I could get a pic.

ed

eddiebo924 said:
In both of our vehicles I’ve had “left foot accelerators” installed and they work great. However I’m not sure if they’ll work with the leaf. Reason being is because in order for the installation, they need to install a mounting plate right below the brake pedal. My question for the group is. . . Is the battery directly under the foot pedals of the car or is it set back at all? Just wondering if you guys think there is a decent amount of clearance in the area.

Thanks Much!
My grandfather had a left foot accelerator kit installed in his car. This was a surfaced mounted bracket on the floor and was simply screwed through the floorboard with sheetmetal screws. I recall they screwed it straight through the rubber floor mat. Assuming this is what you have in mind, should not be a problem. Probably a good idea to double check clearance to high voltage cables.

Back