FYI: First Electric Cars, Now Price War on EV Charging Equip

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apvbguy

http://www.plugincars.com/first-electric-cars-now-price-war-ev-charging-equipment-129068.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I saw the guts of an EVSE about 3 years ago, and was "shocked" (not really, ha) about how few components were inside... I'd think the price will go even lower for the EVSE. What I'd like really like to see are inexpensive quick chargers but it seems unless I build my own as others here are trailblazing, it's not in the near future cards...

Eventually they might be $99.00

JimSouCal said:
I saw the guts of an EVSE about 3 years ago, and was "shocked" (not really, ha) about how few components were inside... I'd think the price will go even lower for the EVSE. What I'd like really like to see are inexpensive quick chargers but it seems unless I build my own as others here are trailblazing, it's not in the near future cards...

The main cost is the J1772 cable. Both Chris's unit and the JuiceBox are very cheap without the cables.

Just like a ladder hidden costs like UL approval or insurance make up very large hidden cost.

GlennD said:
The main cost is the J1772 cable. Both Chris's unit and the JuiceBox are very cheap without the cables.

Just like a ladder hidden costs like UL approval or insurance make up very large hidden cost.
Economy of scale will bring prices down as quantity goes up. It will happen.

tps said:
GlennD said:

Absolutely, the price will go down. Ingineer said UL approval costs over 25K. Today that cost is spread out over a small base.

GlennD said:
tps said:
GlennD said:

Absolutely, the price will go down. Ingineer said UL approval costs over 25K. Today that cost is spread out over a small base.

Correct. We were quoted 3-4 months and $20-30K. We think that having a sub-$1,000 commercial charging station will easily result in 10x explosion of public charging. So we are going for it. $25K spread over 10,000 units is just $2-3 per unit...

Back