Form Letter to "Opt Out" of the Nissan Class Action by Oct28

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Did you send in the "Opt-Out" letter?

• Yes I have sent it, as I do not wish to be part of this civil class action

Votes: 61 57.0%
  • No, I will remain in the class action

Votes: 46 43.0%

• Total voters
uwskier20 said:
I spoke with another owner in the Seattle area who had also opted out. When going in for service recently, his service adviser called attention to the fact that Nissan had removed the battery capacity warranty from his LEAF (it showed up on the service record). I was a bit surprised to see this happening (but perhaps shouldn't be), but haven't contacted my own dealer yet. Has anybody else who might have opted out observed this?

I am a bit concerned after reading this recent development. Is it all true?
I opted out as well, so should I be calling my dealer to see if my battery warranty was also removed?

mwalsh said:
QueenBee said:
I haven't had a chance to call Nissan yet to see what they say but I see three reasons: Sending in the opt out letter. Getting my 2nd year "EV Test"/battery check 9 months late. Random fluke/data error.

Specifically what the print out from "SERVICE-COMM" says is:
"VIN WARRANTY EXCLUSIONS ON PNC"
PNC: B0133
DESCRIPTION: NO EV BATT CAPACITY WARRANTY"

I have not been notified directly from Nissan about this and did not receive any response to my opt out letter.

My money is on the late battery check. How on earth did you manage to be 9 months late??? The window for getting it done is either one or two months either side of your anniversary.

The LEAF doesn't need much maintenance and I'm not particularly interested in going to the dealership for something that AFAIC is a waste of time and could be implemented so much better than requiring a visit to the dealership.... Thus I put it off until I had other stuff to do. Additionally, for the first one Nissan sent an email two weeks before and a week after my anniversary plus they played something through the car as a reminder (I think right? or was the alert through the car for one of the recalls?) They didn't do any of that for the 2nd anniversary so I assumed they had given up on pushing this annual battery check.

mxp said:
uwskier20 said:
I spoke with another owner in the Seattle area who had also opted out. When going in for service recently, his service adviser called attention to the fact that Nissan had removed the battery capacity warranty from his LEAF (it showed up on the service record). I was a bit surprised to see this happening (but perhaps shouldn't be), but haven't contacted my own dealer yet. Has anybody else who might have opted out observed this?

I opted out as well, so should I be calling my dealer to see if my battery warranty was also removed?

It is true but I have not confirmed the reason why. I'll try and contact Nissan tomorrow and see what they can tell me about it.

QueenBee said:
I haven't had a chance to call Nissan yet to see what they say but I see three reasons: Sending in the opt out letter. Getting my 2nd year "EV Test"/battery check 9 months late. Random fluke/data error.
My money is on being 9 months late on the 2nd year battery check. You won't need the warranty in Washington anyway.

QueenBee said:
mxp said:
uwskier20 said:

It is true but I have not confirmed the reason why. I'll try and contact Nissan tomorrow and see what they can tell me about it.

Good luck, the script readers there will likely give you two different incorrect answers. Should they not have the answer they will ask a supervisor who will make something up. I can't tell you how many times I have asked a question and got a ridiculous incorrect and fabricated response from their "call center". Hopefully they will have an official answer on the script. :lol: Good luck.

QueenBee said:
Thanks for taking the time to chime in. I hadn't even considered the other possibilities. I guess it's a bit too early to be sounding any alarms.

I'll be hitting 54K today, with 81% SOH remaining, so indeed the warranty will be useless to myself and others here in Western Washington. Glad I opted out, in any case.

TomT said:
+1

Stoaty said:
My money is on being 9 months late on the 2nd year battery check. You won't need the warranty in Washington anyway.

If this is indeed what happened it likely affects the 100k manufacturing defect warranty as well (or only), which I'd say should be a concern even if triggering the capacity warranty is not on the table.

Valdemar said:
TomT said:
+1

Stoaty said:

If this is indeed what happened it likely affects the 100k manufacturing defect warranty as well (or only), which I'd say should be a concern even if triggering the capacity warranty is not on the table.

The EV customer support person could not find this exclusion in their "more advanced" system and wanted me to bugger off because this is not an issue unless I'm trying to have the battery replaced. I pressed and recommended he look in "SERVICE COMM" which he was able to do and was able to see the exclusion. He wanted to just blame the lack of timely EV Check but I pressed more and he is going to do more research and get back to me. He had not heard of this happening...

Topic of Nissan removing capacity warranty based on filing Opt Out letter has spiraled off into a new thread.
See B0133 NO BATT CAPACITY WARRANTY at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=17045" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Mediation status update, see:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=18214&start=40#p394974" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back