Form Letter to "Opt Out" of the Nissan Class Action by Oct28

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Did you send in the "Opt-Out" letter?

• Yes I have sent it, as I do not wish to be part of this civil class action

Votes: 61 57.0%
  • No, I will remain in the class action

Votes: 46 43.0%

• Total voters
I've said it before and I'll say it again...Sedgwick LLP sued for the wrong thing.

Capacity loss in these cars is primarily due to heat. It is occurring because (and it's clear now, even if it wasn't then) the battery pack cells are under-engineered against it. Did Nissan and/or Polypore know about this? Well, Polypore had been using ceramic separators in battery cells for at least a decade before it began building them for the LEAF, just for these reasons; and GM had been using ceramic coated separators in the Volt's cells all along. So I'm guessing that someone along the line must have suggested them to Nissan, or at least asked if they wanted to go that route. And I suspect that this is the smoking gun in this case from a discovery point of view, had the job been done properly.

To put it clearly...Nissan built a bad pack, and the losses that are occurring should be covered under the materials and workmanship clause in the existing 8 year/100,000 mile warranty. Not a new warranty featuring a set of terms that end up being the most beneficial to Nissan.

Now with respect to Sedgwick's rebutal of Judge Kozinksi's objection, there are a couple of things I take issue with, some of which have already been mentioned by other posters:

1) The use of the phrase "high ambient temperatures" on the first page make it appear that only very hot states are having this issue. We all know that even cars in what I personally would term "moderately hot" regions (warm really) are experiencing vastly accelerated capacity loss. And the worst part of the Nissan new warranty offer is the appearance that it may have been engineered to exclude those in "moderately hot" regions, who will still not get the serviceable lifespan "promised" (or suggested, if you think the term promised is unfair) by Nissan executives, but will not qualify for the new warranty because they will reach the required threshold outside of the warranty period.

2) On page four they suggest that this suit is "not a product liability case or one about vehicle design. It was a failure to disclose action related to misrepresentations and omissions by NNA concerning the LEAF's driving range and battery capacity". PRECISELY...YOU SUED FOR THE WRONG THING. And this is why many of us opted out.

3) Later in that same paragraph they talk about how NNA "provided customers with a bounty of accurate information about this vehicles and what they could expect from their batteries". What a minute...am I reading a filing from the plaintiffs' council or the defendants? Or does it simply not matter to Sedgwick, so long as they get their cut of the settlement? In any event, statements on the record were made with respect how long battery packs should last, WITHOUT any reference to there being a geographical or meteorological caveat. These statements turned out to be categorically wrong in all instances with the exception of vehicles residing in the Pacific Northwest.

4) Still on page four..."If widespread range or capacity issues existed, Plaintiffs’ counsel would have known of it. As NNA reported publicly, and as the data discussed below confirms, reduced battery capacity complaints were focused in the hot weather state of Arizona." Well, they may have been in early 2012, but a lot of hot weather has gone under the bridge since then. Is counsel trying to tell us that they haven't bothered doing any more discovery on this issue since the case was first filed? That doesn't seem very professional to me!

5) Page six..."NNA used the consideration in this case - the enhanced warranty - to demonstrate commitment to customer satisfaction and confidence in the battery. These have been good outcomes for LEAF owners and for NNA." I'll refer you back to point one - good for NNA; good for some owners on the extremes; bad for owners that are destined to just miss out.

6) Page seven..."Despite the above facts, there is no doubt that Objectors’ papers voice dissatisfaction with Nissan and their LEAF. However, they make no allegation - and NNA records do not reflect - that they ever contacted Nissan to complain about (1) the range they were getting with their LEAF, (2) any charging limitations, (3) any battery capacity loss or (4) any concern that the disclosures they signed were inadequate or incomplete." Perhaps the objectors did not contact Nissan to complain about range issues, but Sedgwick would find no shortage of other owners that had voiced complaints to Nissan on these issues.

7) Page eight. As has already been pointed out, the inclusion of a statement of satisfaction from a LEAF owner in the PNW (and thanks for that, BTW, Mr. Silvan! :evil: ) is completely disingenuous (bordering deceitful) and out of context when it comes to the thrux of the issue.

8) Page nine. Don't even get me started on the redacted stuff!

9) Also page nine and into page ten. The quotation from the disclosure we signed. OK, so it supposedly talks about the reduced time frame of 5 years to 80%. Now I'm going to have to go back through my records and look at exactly what I signed (was the 5 year language in the disclosure for the very first cars delivered?). But the fact remains that a) my car is down to 80% in under 3 years, not 5. I haven't exposed the car to "very high temperatures for extended periods of time" (and I remember the manual talks about 24 hours as being an "extended period of time"); my car has only had 8 quick charges in those 3 years; and I have driven it quite moderately. We have also seen those who have babied their packs lose capacity in a not dissimilar way to those who have been less than careful. So whatever the magic is...clearly none of us in a warm to hot climate has been able to master it.

10) Page eleven...This page talks about how the new warranty doesn't negate the old warranty, and how it is "most likely to be used by those persons whose environment or driving habits do cause accelerated degradation of battery capacity." I guess the part of this that gets me (and again I'll refer you back to point one) is that it is likely to only cover a small percentage of those who have seen accelerated degradation of their battery packs. And a percentage that is, in my opinion, way too favorable for Nissan, given the circumstances.

11) Page twelve..."NNA did not ask to be sued, nor did it select its adversaries. Perhaps if it had been less vocal in communicating with its customers about issues of common concern, no action would have been filed at all." Hah! Dream on. One or more of us would have gotten tired of Nissan's stonewalling sooner or later.

12) Page twelve...."Nevertheless, NNA settled this case based on the same paradigm that many other motor vehicle class action lawsuits have been resolved: providing LEAF owners with assurance that they purchased an excellent vehicle on which they can count for years to come. Nissan has made good on its promises..." Oh yeah? What about that promise for a battery price? I won't be assured that I can count on my vehicle for years to come until I can buy a new battery pack for it. End of story!

Great post, Mike! In particular, I like the point you made that most of the folks who continue to be happy about their Leaf battery capacity seem to live in the PNW. That's a pretty small slice of North America!

I'm fascinated by apparent interactions between special interest forums and various legal organizations. We have Sedgwick LLP browsing MNL, for whatever purpose, and forum members like Mike, possibly communicating with Sedgwick LLP by posting to MNL. And then there's Tony Williams, who recently saw Toyota legal reps using his RAV4 EV forum postings as evidence to deny his request for lemon law relief during arbitration.

The main point I want to make is that many different people read our posts, and some them aren't our friends. For example, if you hope to take advantage of Nissan's enhanced battery capacity warranty, telling us online about the tricks you're using to lose the ninth capacity bar is NOT a good idea. Posting photos of your Leaf pulling a trailer or being towed with drive wheels on the ground, actions which Nissan says may void the warranty, are not smart, either.

On the other hand, I think that expressing our opinions about this pathetic class action suit are a great idea! I've learned so much...

-Karl

Does anyone have any insight as to how the formation of the class defaults to auto-opt-in, verses have to actually submit to opt-in? Most every class action I've been asked to join, and usually did so... So on this case, especially given the inadequate notice, how did the self-dealers at Captsone manage this?

JimSouCal said:
Does anyone have any insight as to how the formation of the class defaults to auto-opt-in, verses have to actually submit to opt-in? Most every class action I've been asked to join, and usually did so... So on this case, especially given the inadequate notice, how did the self-dealers at Captsone manage this?

Without getting too technical, this class was certified under Federal Rules of Civil Procedure 23(b)(3), which requires an affirmative opt-out:

(2) Notice.

(A) For (b)(1) or (b)(2) Classes. For any class certified under Rule 23(b)(1) or (b)(2), the court may direct appropriate notice to the class.

(B) For (b)(3) Classes. For any class certified under Rule 23(b)(3), the court must direct to class members the best notice that is practicable under the circumstances, including individual notice to all members who can be identified through reasonable effort. The notice must clearly and concisely state in plain, easily understood language:

(i) the nature of the action;

(ii) the definition of the class certified;

(iii) the class claims, issues, or defenses;

(iv) that a class member may enter an appearance through an attorney if the member so desires;

(v) that the court will exclude from the class any member who requests exclusion;

(vi) the time and manner for requesting exclusion; and

(vii) the binding effect of a class judgment on members under Rule 23(c)(3).

You can read Rule 23 in its entirety at:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/rules/frcp/rule_23

But understand that there is a huge body of case law interpreting Rule 23 spanning almost 50 years. In recent years, the Supreme Court has grown much more protective of corporations and ever more hostile toward class actions.

Title: High Profile Objection To Settlement On LEAF Battery Case – “Class Members Are Getting Absolutely Nothing Of Value”
2 hours ago by Jay Cole
http://insideevs.com/high-profile-objection-to-settlement-on-leaf-battery-case-class-members-are-getting-absolutely-nothing-of-value/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This discussion has been focused on the 60 month/60k mile aspect of this settlement. Those who are part of the class seem to have lost any claim after that except for sudden capacity loss or battery failure. Based on the battery's performance over two summers in Phoenix, what can we expect in the longer term? NNA stated capacity would be ~70% after 10 years. Will the batteries that survive the capacity warranty meet that standard?

Another item not mentioned is the effect of time on degradation of the battery. Is time or charging cycles more significant, and if so, by how much?

Increasing the level of concern is the lack of information on battery replacement, whether buying or leasing it.

BTW-How many batteries could be replaced instead of spending the money on this action? :( Very inefficient.

91040 said:
BTW-How many batteries could be replaced instead of spending the money on this action? :( Very inefficient.

The settlement is costing Nissan about $2 Million. If you assume that a battery replacement costs $5,000, that's about 400. There are almost 20,000 cars covered by the settlement, so it's a good deal for Nissan.

Im certain I wasnt notified of this lawsuit. Is there any way to opt out now? Has anyone done that after the deadline?

I was following the FB group and had hoped someone would post important updates such as this one.

91040 said:
Another item not mentioned is the effect of time on degradation of the battery. Is time or charging cycles more significant, and if so, by how much?
To try to answer that question, read up on the Battery Aging Model (link in my signature).

BTW, the UK is getting the same battery warranty, and Nissan wasn't even sued there:

http://www.nissan.co.uk/GB/en/vehicle/electric-vehicles/leaf/discover/owner-benefits.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

trojanm50 said:
Im certain I wasnt notified of this lawsuit. Is there any way to opt out now? Has anyone done that after the deadline?

I was following the FB group and had hoped someone would post important updates such as this one.

You can't opt out now, but if you're certain that you didn't receive notice, then you're not in the class. Did your address change since you bought your 2011-2012 LEAF? If so, did you notify Nissan of your new address? You can check with the plaintiff's law firm and ask if they have any record of mailing the class notice to you.

oakwcj said:
trojanm50 said:

You can't opt out now, but if you're certain that you didn't receive notice, then you're not in the class. Did your address change since you bought your 2011-2012 LEAF? If so, did you notify Nissan of your new address? You can check with the plaintiff's law firm and ask if they have any record of mailing the class notice to you.

No address change since I bought the car. Apparently Nissan informed people thrice, I never received even one notification. I contacted the counsels office and they sent a note to their administrator. Either way, good or bad, seems like Im stuck with this settlement?

trojanm50 said:
oakwcj said:
trojanm50 said:

No address change since I bought the car. Apparently Nissan informed people thrice, I never received even one notification. I contacted the counsels office and they sent a note to their administrator. Either way, good or bad, seems like Im stuck with this settlement?
Does anyone know if it makes any sense to atleast file an objection.

I opted out of this class action suit. I plan to sell my LEAF next month, either to a dealer or private party. Am I required to disclose this suit and my opting out when I sell the car? (BTW, I live in California.)

Thanks in advance!

Not a huge surprise, I guess, but the second judge in the case has now recused herself, because of Kozinski's position:

"Before the Court is the parties’ Motion for Final Approval of Class Action Settlement and
Motion for Attorneys’ Fees. (Dkt. Nos. 66, 46). On November 18, 2013, the parties appeared
before the Court seeking final approval of their negotiated settlement. In addition, an objector to the settlement appeared, after having previously filed a brief objecting to the settlement. The Objector, although appearing in his personal capacity serves as the Chief Judge of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. In his professional capacity, the Objector sits on panels that decide appeals from this court, makes decisions regarding sitting by designation on the court of appeals, and reviews complaints of judicial misconduct involving district judges within the circuit. See 28 U.S.C. §§ 292, 352. The Objector has filed briefs and appeared in court, objecting to the proposed settlement. The question arises whether this Court should recuse itself.

Canon 3C(1) of the Code of Conduct for United States Judges requires a judge to recuse
herself “in a proceeding in which the judge’s impartiality might reasonably be questioned.”
Canon 3C’s language mirrors the language of the recusal statute, 28 U.S.C. § 455. The Court
concludes that a reasonable person might question this Court’s impartiality in deciding the issue. For example, if the Court were to disapprove the settlement, a reasonable person might question whether the Court’s actions were a result of the Objector’s participation in the lawsuit. If the Court were to approve the final settlement, a reasonable person might question whether the Court was favoring the other side. This, as a result, implicates Canon 3C. Accordingly, the
Court hereby RECUSES itself."

The case will now be reassigned to another judge, although it may have to go to a judge outside of the jurisdiction of the Ninth Circuit. In any event, the settlement isn't going to be approved --or rejected -- anytime soon.

Maybe it will go to the US Supreme Court. :) They don't recuse themselves even when they have the most blatant conflicts of interest.

This judge acted professionally and honorably.

oakwcj said:
The case will now be reassigned to another judge, although it may have to go to a judge outside of the jurisdiction of the Ninth Circuit. In any event, the settlement isn't going to be approved --or rejected -- anytime soon.
If it can't be heard in the Ninth Circuit due to conflict of interest, because the Ninth Circuit chief judge is an objector, what is the process / procedure for reassignment to a different Circuit?
Do the parties in the action have to concur on which Circuit it is reassigned to?
Or do they put all the other Circuits on pieces of paper in a hat and randomly draw one, like in Golf?

Back