Florida

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spike09 said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
GCEAA meeting tomorrow in Delray.

http://www.goldcoasteaa.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm planning to attend, hope to see any other Leafers who can make it. Let me know if there is any other input to pass along.
I can not make it but please let them know I am enjoying every moment with my new car.
LTL, I'm coming to the meeting. See you shortly!

Another interesting GCEAA meeting with two Leaves in attendance, BrainDonor and myself. Passed along regards from the rest of the SFL MNL community.

There was considerable discussion about ICEing of charging spots, in both at the Banker's Row lot and in general. There seems to be little appetite for enforcement in public policy. One suggestion is to put parking meters on the charging spots, the rationale being that unlike reserving charging spots for EVs, metered parking is a well-recognized concept and people won't park in metered spots when free parking is adjacent.

A variety of other topics were discussed.

There is a car show scheduled for April 1st at the Festival Flea Market. GCEAA is planning a presence here, expecting about 10 EV's, and it would be great to boost that number with a big Leaf presence. For any S FL Leafers who haven't met the GCEAA group this is a great opportunity to get together with some true pioneers and spread the word about EVs in the community. Here is a link to the show info:

http://www.cruisinsouthflorida.com/2012/2012.04.01.Festival.htm

It's $25 if you register by the 26th, but that includes some perks including coffee/donuts/drinks/snacks, $10 voucher for the food court and either a $10 gas card (too funny) or a t-shirt.

If you think you can make it either post your intentions here on this thread or PM me and I'll pass the info along to the GCEAA folks so they reserve enough spaces for group.

So who was out in my neck of the woods in their white LEAF last night eating Asian food? We were stopped at a light on US-1 last night and I glimpsed over into the parking lot and there was a white LEAF outside Sushi Maki/Canton with that large zero emission sticker on the side. We were going to stop and pull my car next to it but couldn't navigate the traffic. :shock:

evenoelle said:
So who was out in my neck of the woods in their white LEAF last night eating Asian food? We were stopped at a light on US-1 last night and I glimpsed over into the parking lot and there was a white LEAF outside Sushi Maki/Canton with that large zero emission sticker on the side. We were going to stop and pull my car next to it but couldn't navigate the traffic. :shock:

My only sighting of a Leaf in the wild was a car fitting that description here in the Boca area. Maybe salesman taking the demos home at night because they don't have to buy gas for them?

I've seen three here in Coral Gable each a different color, red, white and blue. That's more Leafs then there are bike rack here! LOL.

electricD said:
I've seen three here in Coral Gable each a different color, red, white and blue. That's more Leafs then there are bike rack here! LOL.
Other than a recent sighting of a Volt in downtown Miami Shores (NE 2ND AVE) I have not seen any other Leafs in North East Dade or South Beach.

LTLFTcomposite said:
There is a car show scheduled for April 1st at the Festival Flea Market. GCEAA is planning a presence here, expecting about 10 EV's, and it would be great to boost that number with a big Leaf presence. For any S FL Leafers who haven't met the GCEAA group this is a great opportunity to get together with some true pioneers and spread the word about EVs in the community. Here is a link to the show info:

http://www.cruisinsouthflorida.com/2012/2012.04.01.Festival.htm

It's $25 if you register by the 26th, but that includes some perks including coffee/donuts/drinks/snacks, $10 voucher for the food court and either a $10 gas card (too funny) or a t-shirt.

If you think you can make it either post your intentions here on this thread or PM me and I'll pass the info along to the GCEAA folks so they reserve enough spaces for group.

The response has been underwhelming. I can hear crickets chirping. :)

N1ghtrider said:
electricD said:

And you haven't seen my silver Leaf? I live in Coral Gables and keep it parked in the driveway on Leonardo Street.

Keep driving it Roy, I'll see it. My son and I are great at spotting them. Also we are north of US1 so that might be another reason. So all we need to find is a black one and we have a full set here. Now if we could get a fast charging port on the Miracle Mile...Yeah, I know I'm dreaming.

electricD said:
N1ghtrider said:
electricD said:

And you haven't seen my silver Leaf? I live in Coral Gables and keep it parked in the driveway on Leonardo Street.

Keep driving it Roy, I'll see it. My son and I are great at spotting them. Also we are north of US1 so that might be another reason. So all we need to find is a black one and we have a full set here. Now if we could get a fast charging port on the Miracle Mile...Yeah, I know I'm dreaming.

We'll be in our black one in Coral Gables on Sunday. We're going to the matinee at Actor's Playhouse - then you'll have a full set :D

I think I may have sold a LEAF on Friday.

I decided to surprise my wife at the Publix where she was shopping on my way home from work. As I drove by our LEAF in the parking lot, there were two folks (man and his father-in-law, both engineers as it turned out) who were checking out the car. So I parked the SUV and started talking to them. Took them for a test drive. They were very impressed and plan to contact the dealer. They have a van with over 210K miles and a Beamer with 150K, so it's time for a new car. They had read about the LEAF but never saw one in person. When we got back to the parking lot we walked over to their van and exchanged business cards. At that time another "customer" approached the LEAF and did the walk-around...

Update from Charles Whalen on the charging station in Jupiter:

I've had several requests in the last few months to upgrade the charging
stations at the Bermudiana Shopping Center in Jupiter from the old Avcon to
the new J1772 connector/cable sets. Sorry for the delay. I finally got
around to doing the cable swap-out and upgrade today. Both charging
stations there now have the new J1772 connectors, which have been tested and
work fine. The address is:

Bermudiana Shopping Center
4575 Military Trail
Jupiter, FL 33458

The shopping center is on the east side of Military Trail, 0.7 mile north of
Donald Ross Rd. in Jupiter, just east of Abacoa. The two charging stations
are in the parking lot of the north side of the building. The voltage of
the charging stations is 208V. The maximum current delivery from the
charging stations to the EV is 32 Amps. Access is 24x7, and charging is
free. Restaurants in the shopping center include Carmines Italian Eatery,
CG Burgers, and Little Moir's Leftovers Cafe.

Charles Whalen

LTLFTcomposite said:
I've had several requests in the last few months to upgrade the charging
stations at the Bermudiana Shopping Center in Jupiter from the old Avcon to
the new J1772 connector/cable sets. Sorry for the delay. I finally got
around to doing the cable swap-out and upgrade today.

WooHoo!! :D Two charging stations now in Jupiter to choose from. We just ate at Leftovers last week, and I saw it was still AVCON. I may have to try CG Burgers this week.

Another communique from Charles:
Well, I guess this is my week for doing charging stations upgrades. A few
days ago it was Jupiter. Here's another one, this one our main downtown
Miami charging station. I did the cable swap-out and upgrade yesterday,
replacing the old Avcon with the new J1772 connector/cable sets. Here are
the updated details on the charging station:

Sun Electronics
511 NE 15th Street
Miami, FL 33132
Tel: 305-536-9917

Two Level-2 J1772 charging stations
Two Level-1 NEMA 5-15 charging outlets

Sun Electronics (http://www.sunelec.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) is the leading solar/photovoltaic
distributor in the Southeastern US. The EV charging station, at Sun
Electronics headquarters, is located in the heart of downtown Miami, right
next door to: Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay, DoubleTree by Hilton Grand Hotel
Biscayne Bay; directly across the street from: Hilton Miami Downtown;
Adrienne Arsht Metro Mover Station, Omni International Mall, Miami
International University of Art and Design; two blocks from: Adrienne Arsht
Center for the Performing Arts.

This is a solar-powered charging station, the largest solar-powered EV
charging station in the state of Florida.

Cost to charge: Free

Charging availability: During business hours, Mon-Fri 9am-5pm.

For charging after business hours, please call ahead and speak with Sun
Electronics President John Kimball to arrange for after-hours charging.

The charging stations are in the parking lot on the west side of the
building. Voltage of the charging stations is 240V. Maximum current
delivery from the charging stations to the EV is 32 Amps. Prior to
charging, turn on the breaker/circuit cut-off switch on the wall adjacent to
the charging station. Upon charge completion, please turn the breaker back
off.

If the charging spaces are blocked, come inside the building and ask Sun
Electronics President John Kimball if he could please have one of the cars
moved that is blocking the charging stations.

Charles Whalen

Finally added "100% Electric" to both of my front doors using 2" black vinyl lettering. I had them custom made from an eBay seller called "1060-Graphics". The 24 letters only cost $8.63 and I got them in 4 days! They were real easy to apply with the transfer tape.

412860_10150612113211898_691786897_9815111_1254251927_o.jpg

My XM Radio trial subscription expired after 3 months on the exact day Sirius said it would! Also lost the NavTraffic feed. I hear from the XM blogs you can get an "unadvertised" rate of $77 a year (without NavTraffic) if you call their customer support.

It has been a week now without XM and I have adjusted to just having good old reliable AM/FM. Not to mention the CD player, Bluetooth audio and USB port that go unused even though I know how use them better than most. As far as traffic, I have a nice Garmin unit with lifetime traffic and maps updates to fall back on.

spike09 said:
My XM Radio trial subscription expired after 3 months on the exact day Sirius said it would! Also lost the NavTraffic feed. I hear from the XM blogs you can get an "unadvertised" rate of $77 a year (without NavTraffic) if you call their customer support.

It has been a week now without XM and I have adjusted to just having good old reliable AM/FM. Not to mention the CD player, Bluetooth audio and USB port that go unused even though I know how use them better than most. As far as traffic, I have a nice Garmin unit with lifetime traffic and maps updates to fall back on.

Ditto, ditto, and ditto. I found the XM was getting a bit repetitive, almost like it was just running a loop. It's OK, might pay a little to have it but not sure it's even worth $77.

As for traffic our commutes don't really involve much to worry about.

spike09 said:
Finally added "100% Electric" to both of my front doors using 2" black vinyl lettering. I had them custom made from an eBay seller called "1060-Graphics". The 24 letters only cost $8.63 and I got them in 4 days! They were real easy to apply with the transfer tape.

412860_10150612113211898_691786897_9815111_1254251927_o.jpg
WOW. Since I put the "100% Electric" decal on the doors just 3 days ago I have received more attention that the entire 3 months I have had the car!

Back