Florida

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
guessing that dealer sold their demo , or bought a car from another dealer to sell to this customer

doubt a florida dealer would have gotten anything but a 2011 demo car yet

Brightonuk said:
Wish I could get a 2011 without the bloody winter package!
Just heard on CNN it was the hotist summer in 75 years

Come on you don't think heated seats and a heated steering wheel will be nice on the ONE day in our "winter" when the temperature drops below 80? :lol:

I guess that when it's 40 up here it might feel good.....
we actually had 3 days of freeze here year before last.
My neighbor lost three coconut palms and I lost a few
travelers palm.......

still, if I could find a Tennessee orphan I would take the drive.

evenoelle said:
Brightonuk said:
Wish I could get a 2011 without the bloody winter package!
Just heard on CNN it was the hotist summer in 75 years

Come on you don't think heated seats and a heated steering wheel will be nice on the ONE day in our "winter" when the temperature drops below 80? :lol:

No I would just close the sunroof..........................Theres a thought...... electric sunroof or winter package for the Florida market wonder what would use more juice?

You guys see my point here, the news story shows a florida dealer delivering a Leaf ?

how could that be? when the first orders were processed at aug 28th in florida?

telling you its a false story , or they bought a car from a TN dealer to sell to the lady

or they sold the demo car !!!! :roll:

Probably Nissan allowed one of the 2011 demos to be sold in Tallahassee, since Tallahassee is the state capitol. I bet they did it as a PR effort to influence Florida legislators to provide more support for electric vehicles. Except for allowing EVs HOV lane access, there are no other incentives offered by the state.

hodad66 said:
since we don't pay state income taxes I'm not sure
what else we could gain. Do we need a sticker for HOV?

Yes - we need a sticker. It's $5 a year. We are eligible for them with our Civic hybrid but...we have had a problem getting them here in Miami. None of the offices ever have them.

Yea, California... the state that has gone bust... how many times?

Far be it for me to feel bad or jealous ( I leave that to the republicans)
but "What a deal!"... in my best eastern European, Yiddish accent... :mrgreen:

California has always had significant problems with air pollution, largely caused by all the cars and trucks driven in the state. I grew up in Southern California in the 60s and 70s and the smog was really bad, back then. Things have improved considerably over the past 30 years, but it's a constant battle to keep the air relatively clean as the population continues to grow. When it comes to incentives for alternative fuel vehicles, California is always going to lead the list, no matter what the cost.

I went by Weston Nissan this afternoon and they had one, 2011 demo available for test drives. This is the first time I'd seen the car in person, and I was pleasantly surprised at how attractive it was. Same color as the one I ordered - glacier pearl. Looked to be almost exactly the same size as my 2007 Prius, but much more attractive. No matter how much I like the technology, efficiency and reliability of my Prius, there's no question it is one ugly car.

As far as interior room is concerned, the back seats are positioned an inch or two forward from where they are in my Prius, so back seat passengers don't have quite as much room as they do in a Prius. Not a big deal for me, since I rarely have more than one passenger in my car.

On the test drive, the LEAF ride was more stable and acceleration smoother than the Prius. I'm already used to driving the Prius in electric mode, so the quiet ride of the LEAF wasn't a big shock, although I was a bit surprised when I got back in my Prius and noticed how noisy the gas-powered engine was. Prii are already pretty quiet, but nothing matches the quiet of a pure electric car.

As I expected, the sales rep, who went on the test drive with me, was friendly, but knew almost nothing about the car (didn't even know the difference between a L1 and L2 charger. I had to explain to him that the L1 was the one in the carrying case, sitting in the back of the car, and the L2 was the one on the post outside.). It seems like maybe one or two sales reps per dealership take the training course, and if you don't happen to catch that one person, you're on your own. The biggest thing I was curious about was how many orders they got for December 2011 delivery, and he didn't know. I also asked him what they were going to do with the 2011 demos when they were done with them, and he didn't know that, either.

I didn't bother discussing prices, since my final deal will be based on what they offer for my Prius three months from now, and whether I decide to lease or pay cash for the car.

Overall, it was a pleasant experience, but I think it's important not to expect any hand-holding when it comes to buying a LEAF in Florida. When I bought my Prius, the sales rep was clueless, too. It's pretty much what I expect as an "early adopter".

I test drove in Orlando, on the tour. What a pleasant vehicle,
with plenty of pep & decent looks. I have always driven manual
shift vehicles but the torque and silence of the Leaf thrilled me!

Weatherman - Everyone made fun of me for ordering this car without ever driving it. I'm glad to see that I was not the only one who took that blind leap of faith. Now having driven the car twice, I am sure that I will love it. (Plus I got the approval of my teenage daughter who is the only one who ever sits in the back of the car. Her only complaint? No cup holder in the back - LOL!) We drove the car at 2 different dealerships. At one we found the same as you did - that the sales rep did not know much about the car but at the other one, we felt that the sales rep was very knowledgable (which was a pleasant surprise!) We're going to trade in my gas guzzling Lexus SUV -- we asked them to give us a preliminary idea of what the trade-in value was and the value they gave us was exactly what the Kelly Blue Book value of the car is (another pleasant surprise.) Hope this is the same (or better) for you and your Prius!

I think once you've driven an electric car, even one that can only stay in electric mode below 42 mph and only for a short distance, you're hooked. Prius owners call it "stealth mode" and it's easy to sneak up on pedestrians in parking lots and scare the crap out of them (not that I made a habit out of doing that, of course). I guess the LEAF has some sound-effects, which prevent pure "stealth mode", although I don't recall hearing anything during my test drive.

Back