First unexplained charge failure

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabio

This morning (thankfully a Saturday) I unplugged my charge cord and headed off for some errands when, 5 minutes after I left, I noticed that the car had only 4 bars -- same as last night when I plugged it in.
I've owned my LEAF since March, and I plug it in every night using a 80% timer (usually, although sometimes I charge it to 100) that starts at 12:10 am. My charger is the Blink.
The car was plugged in, the Blink did not reboot (it has been up for 3 days, since it got its latest upgrade) and I got an carwings email of charging stopped at 12:10am (the same time charging was supposed to start).
I think it is a LEAF bug this time, not sure what combination of events caused it.
Has anyone else seen this before?

My Blink failed to charge one time a month or so ago, and stayed that way until I rebooted it. Hasn't happened again since.

When I plugged the car today (having disabled the car times), after returning from the errands, the car started to charge with no problems.
This is why this time I lean towards the car being the culprit (part of my job is fixing bugs in a complex SW environment, and I usually guess right).

The other time the car was empty in the morning, the Blink had crashed (1.3xx). In that case finding the culprit was easy as the Blink had still .. "blood on its hands"
DeaneG said:
My Blink failed to charge one time a month or so ago, and stayed that way until I rebooted it. Hasn't happened again since.

I had this happen once almost exactly as you describe it, with the immediate charge stopped email after the timer had started. My daughter had not fully plugged in the J1772...when I checked it by pushing on the J1772, it "clicked" it into place. Luckily, I'm usually up that late and caught the notification before I went to bed.

So, if this happens, can you check for it dependably based on the three charging lights? When I plug in I always stand there for the five seconds or so it takes until I see the lights start cycling. But that assumes you are using the LEAF timer. I guess if you were using the Blink timer there wouldn't be any lights flashing at all in the car.

Ray

I wait for the blink's "clank" sound and the flashing lights. I am not 100% sure (it was friday night) that the lights were on.
No issues on Sat night's 80% charge, I'll be crossing my fingers for tonight
planet4ever said:
So, if this happens, can you check for it dependably based on the three charging lights? When I plug in I always stand there for the five seconds or so it takes until I see the lights start cycling. But that assumes you are using the LEAF timer. I guess if you were using the Blink timer there wouldn't be any lights flashing at all in the car.

Ray

davewill said:
I had this happen once almost exactly as you describe it, with the immediate charge stopped email after the timer had started. My daughter had not fully plugged in the J1772...when I checked it by pushing on the J1772, it "clicked" it into place. Luckily, I'm usually up that late and caught the notification before I went to bed.
Exact same here. I was also up that night, but luckily I can make my commute without charging daily. I also usually check my email in the morning to see when the "Charging stopped" email comes in so I would have noticed then, too which would give me a couple hours to get a bit of charge should I need it.

ericsf said:
6 month with the AV. Charging daily on the 80% timer @ 12:15am. Never had a charging issue.
Just saying.
My first AV was DOA. The replacement failed to charge the very first night with a "nuisance trip" and the trouble light on. But it's been perfectly fine ever since then.

Fabio said:
I wait for the blink's "clank" sound and the flashing lights. I am not 100% sure (it was friday night) that the lights were on.
/quote]

I always wait for the double beep to confirm charging has begun.

Only had the LEAF a month and it is charging flawlessly with the Blink.

ericsf said:
6 month with the AV. Charging daily on the 80% timer @ 12:15am. Never had a charging issue.
Just saying.
Me too, except one user error right after I got the car. I forgot to plug it in. That was before I setup the car wings notifications.

planet4ever said:

Ray

2nd that. but when i plug in i can immediately hear breakers closing to make the connection to start the charge process. only once have i had it when it did not charge (car was on. did not realize it had to be off to start charging)

so i could hear the breakers close, but then heard a sound and the lights went off immediately so easy to see that no charge was happening

Wanted to notify you that my blink crashed last night, failed to charge my car and then failed to charge it again when I returned home from teaching this afternoon. I've had the charger 4 months.

This afternoon, I had to cut power to the Blink and reboot it in order for it to charge. Usually when the machine malfunctions, at least it still charges. Not this time.

I was not happy to find out I only had half power this morning for my commute to work. On the way home, I had to take city streets to conserve power and arrived home with 1 1/2 bars.

If this continues to be a problem, I will be very upset. I need this to be my reliable commuter car.

SharonaLA said:
Wanted to notify you that my blink crashed last night, failed to charge my car and then failed to charge it again when I returned home from teaching this afternoon.

Hi Sharon. Did you call Blink to tell them of your problem? They have 24/7 customer support at 888 998 2546. I know that I previously almost never thought of this obvious response. I just added the number to my own cell phone so I could call them from the garage if I have a problem. I did have to have the connector replaced not long after I got it, and their contractor did it quickly. I haven't had charging issues, but I know some have after firmware updates. Anyway, hope that helps! :)

Back