first long-distance leaf trip

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nerys

I plan to buy first long distance trip this weekend I'm traveling from Levittown Pennsylvania to Centreville Maryland about a hundred and thirty miles

I drove a little over 60 miles to sheridan nissan with a side trip to Harbor Freight to exchange my new inverter generator that broke on the first day I tried it no problem exchanging 2500 watt inverter generator

I pulled the pull cord a little too hard

I went to get some resistors and all 5 radio shacks I tried don't exist anymore whoops so Amazon prime and $9 dollars later and I got a hundred of them coming to my hotel room tomorrow

after sleeping in the car for five and a half hours at Sheridan I finished the last 62 miles to the hotel

the hotel saved a spot for me with a 110 volt outlet the car is feeding just fine.

probably won't get a full charge tonight but definitely tomorrow night as the field is only 16 miles away

so 60 miles back to Sheridan on Sunday but not quite as I leave from the field Not The hotel total trip distance 70 miles in warm weather no problem but it will be chilly Sunday so I am concerned hence the generator 5 hours of trickle charging will ensure I have enough power to make it to Sheraton five and a half hours they're charging and I go home they promised me they would leave the power on so I could charge sunday afternoon I will call them Saturday night to remind them

So far so good

You can check out rocketrylive.com in a few day for pics and video.

Probably tuesday night.

well I made it :)

No problem charging L1 at the hotel. got nearly a full charge the first night and a full charge the second 2 nights.

I was concerned about having enough power to get back to sheridan nissan (and thanks to those folks for remembering to leave the power on to the charging stations!!)

60 miles. no problem. 70 miles with the detour to the flying field.

the resistors came in so I made the plug for the second outlet and bingo. works perfectly. charged no problem off the 2200watt inverter predator generator on the hitch cargo carrier.

so I was able to leave the field with a full charge. 54 miles to sheridan no problem. had 25 miles left when I got their. (it was warmer than anticipated)

charged up for 4 hours and drove the 60 miles home.

all in all a good experience. in the future I will probably just take the ICE as the sitting in the car for 4 or 5 hours each way kind of sucks. (nothing really for me to "go do" while waiting to charge nothing nearby etc..)

it was fun though and nice to know "I CAN" do it if I need too.

Glad you got to do the trip. We did the same when our Leaf was about 6 weeks old. Out trip was 115 miles each way, and took us 10 hours of slow driving and charging. It could have been all freeway so with our ICE the driving would have been about 3 hours and no stops for gas.

What we got from the trip was that we love our Leaf, but it is just for local driving. As it is with only about 10 miles each way, 100 miles per week commute, we still drive it about 300 miles per week, all with only using the L-2 in our garage at home. Since it costs extra to drive over the 15,000 miles per year on the lease, our driving will just about balance with the lease so we do not want to use it for any of our trips.

If i had a leaf with a 100% battery i could probably make the 130mile trip without stopping to charge.

Alas i am down to 88% or 89% or something like that so optimally about 85 miles max. Maybe stop for an hour lunch to l1 charge a little from the genny.

I dont mind bending a little just to be able to use the leaf and no gas well almost no gas.

2 stop layover? No thanks. 1 stop is my limit for sure. Tha car is comfy but tight for napping. :)

In the next two days i will hit 15,000 miles since september 11th. :) makes me a happy critter knowing i used no gas in that time or about $3500 in gas.

The resistors? Worked perfectly but they were 500 not 100. No odea what i will do with them all :)

Back