First Electric Bill - Full Billing Cycle w Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phatcat73

Received my first electric bill after owning my Leaf for over a month. My kW for the month increase by 240 over the previous, non-EV month.

Here's the best part: 1600 miles of EV ownership increased my electric bill by only $19. That's a little subsidized as I get free charging at work twice per week. That certainly beats my $250 / month gas bill the month prior from my Escape Hybrid.

Phatcat73 said:
Received my first electric bill after owning my Leaf for over a month. My kW for the month increase by 240 over the previous, non-EV month.

Here's the best part: 1600 miles of EV ownership increased my electric bill by only $19. That's a little subsidized as I get free charging at work twice per week. That certainly beats my $250 / month gas bill the month prior from my Escape Hybrid.

Great news, Mark. Spread the word. Some folks hesitate to even consider an EV because they are afraid of how high their electric bill will get. Comparisons like yours with your former gasoline bill will get people's attention for sure.

Enjoy your gas-free miles!

Thanks. At my 7 cent per kWh rate, I typically tell people it costs about $2 to drive a 100 miles in the EV and then ask them how far $2 takes them in their car.

That wakes them up!

My electric rate is higher than some, 13.76¢/kWh, so I've been running about 3.4¢/mile at that rate. But my solar panels cover all my LEAF mileage, and much of my household use, so I tell people I fuel it with "sunpower".

for me, i dont mention my power bill, only the # of free chargers within 10 miles of wherever I happen to be then I ask them the last time they got free gas.

DaveinOlyWA said:
for me, i dont mention my power bill, only the # of free chargers within 10 miles of wherever I happen to be then I ask them the last time they got free gas.
I'll pass on that approach, as free fuel tends to upset a lot of folks.

A little story. I belong to a model airplane flying club that has a site with power and several spots for RV parking. When I started plugging in the LEAF, I received several second hand reports of folks disgruntled with me getting free electricity. OTOH, in over 20 years, I never once heard any carping about a member plugging in an RV and running the AC continuously for a weekend or longer.

ebill3 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
I'll pass on that approach, as free fuel tends to upset a lot of folks.

A little story. I belong to a model airplane flying club that has a site with power and several spots for RV parking. When I started plugging in the LEAF, I received several second hand reports of folks disgruntled with me getting free electricity. OTOH, in over 20 years, I never once heard any carping about a member plugging in an RV and running the AC continuously for a weekend or longer.

ya, funny how that works aint it? for some reason your group admires the fact that someone has the money to get the RV and therefore "earned" the right to the free electricity thru their own "ingenuity"

but you as an EV owner is not looked at in the same way. obviously a mindset rooted in the familiar and something that WILL change. as for reactions to my free fuel comments? nothing but positive and actually feel "somewhat" responsible for moving people towards plugs (although the Volt is leading that race right now but with new LEAF pricing, I sense a comeback in the works)

I do emphasize that the free chargers are new and still working out their business model and will eventually be pay stations

Back