Fines for ICEing in WA [Passed by Senate & House, Gov!]

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
we do have an EV friendly governor should its pretty much a done deal!

According to the Seattle Times, the governor signed it yesterday: http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2020845414_electricfinesxml.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not sure how long it takes after passing a law like this for it to come into effect, though.

For the life of me I don't understand why this problem isn't readily solved with parking meters. It's a universally understood concept that doesn't require a bunch of stupid legislation, and it settles the question of "who's paying for that?"

LTLFTcomposite said:
For the life of me I don't understand why this problem isn't readily solved with parking meters. It's a universally understood concept that doesn't require a bunch of stupid legislation, and it settles the question of "who's paying for that?"

easy question. most of the stations are not in paid parking areas. Who pays for parking at a stand alone department store like Walmart, Target or Fred Meyer?

other than the downtown area of a major city, I have never seen it.

FYI; there is very little that is universally understood around my neighborhood.

DaveinOlyWA said:
easy question. most of the stations are not in paid parking areas. Who pays for parking at a stand alone department store like Walmart, Target or Fred Meyer?

FYI; there is very little that is universally understood around my neighborhood.
That's exactly my point, you make the EV spots paid parking, in places where parking is generally free. Who's going to put a quarter in a parking meter to park a gas car in an EV charging spot at Walmart when there's 12 more rows of parking spaces right next to it that are free? (although I will grant you another essential element to icing avoidance is that the charging spots shouldn't be in the most preferred locations, i.e. closest to the store, which they often are)

LTLFTcomposite said:
That's exactly my point, you make the EV spots paid parking, in places where parking is generally free. Who's going to put a quarter in a parking meter to park a gas car in an EV charging spot at Walmart when there's 12 more rows of parking spaces right next to it that are free?
Do police ticket parking meters on private property? If not, then people will just ignore the meter.

Also, doesn't this unnecessarily complicate things for EVs in case there is a fee for charging? Then you will have to both pay to park AND pay to charge.

Matt A Seattle Area EV owner Did Anexperiment When He Hung A Sign Advising of fines For ICEing In An Area That Was Always ICEd And The ICEing Sropped Immediately. He Actually Saw A Fewcars Ark In The Charging Spot Then Pull Out And Move On. When The Sign Was Removed, The ICEing Resumed Immediately.

Trust Me, The Law Was needed

DaveinOlyWA said:
Matt A Seattle Area EV owner Did Anexperiment When He Hung A Sign Advising of fines For ICEing In An Area That Was Always ICEd And The ICEing Sropped Immediately. He Actually Saw A Fewcars Ark In The Charging Spot Then Pull Out And Move On. When The Sign Was Removed, The ICEing Resumed Immediately.

Trust Me, The Law Was needed
Gee, Dave, I used to wonder why you always avoided upper case letters. But capitalizing every word? ;)

I think it is a needed addition to the regulations, but I wonder if it will be enforced, and if commercial entities will go to the trouble of painting the slot green and installing signs. We have a new medical facility a stones throw from my residence that has five dual port ChargePoint J1772 stations - zero signs.

LTLFTcomposite said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

That's exactly my point, you make the EV spots paid parking, in places where parking is generally free. Who's going to put a quarter in a parking meter to park a gas car in an EV charging spot at Walmart when there's 12 more rows of parking spaces right next to it that are free? (although I will grant you another essential element to icing avoidance is that the charging spots shouldn't be in the most preferred locations, i.e. closest to the store, which they often are)
The city can not make a private parking lot paid parking. Further, the new law has some requirements that must be met for a parking space to be considered protected from ICE vehicles. If a store owner doesn't want his EV charging stations to be EV only he only need not meet the requirements. I.E. Don't put up the proper signs and/or don't mark the stalls in green.

ebill3 said:
I think it is a needed addition to the regulations, but I wonder if it will be enforced, and if commercial entities will go to the trouble of painting the slot green and installing signs. We have a new medical facility a stones throw from my residence that has five dual port ChargePoint J1772 stations - zero signs.
I'm sure not all businesses will bother to do so unless enough of their customers complain and being that very few of their customer's drive EVs....

But all in all I like the law except that my car can't lock the plug to prevent some jerk from unplugging me. I saw a plastic port cover that would allow some plugs that fit properly to be locked in place but it cost over $300.00 and wouldn't work with all plugs.

I wonder how much it would cost to manufacture something like that?

Luft said:
ebill3 said:
I'm sure not all businesses will bother to do so unless enough of their customers complain and being that very few of their customer's drive EVs....

But all in all I like the law except that my car can't lock the plug to prevent some jerk from unplugging me. I saw a plastic port cover that would allow some plugs that fit properly to be locked in place but it cost over $300.00 and wouldn't work with all plugs.

I wonder how much it would cost to manufacture something like that?

Cant put nothing past Human Nature but all charging stations keep records. It would be easy to use those to fight your ticket. My Car sends me alerts when the charging is stopped so it "could" be a short period of time before the charging was resumed.

ebill3 said:
Gee, Dave, I used to wonder why you always avoided upper case letters. But capitalizing every word?

ya, that is only part of the irritation. This only happens from my phone and only on this website. I just upgraded my droid software and have dug thru all the settings and cant find anything to change to resolve this. I post on FB, its fine. PC, its fine. text, email, etc... no worries. Its just here. whats worse, if I make a mistake and backspace to correct something in the middle of the word, it will erase the previous letter in the word and capitalize the first corrected letter... so to correct anything, I have to redo the entire word.

*sigh* I think its the phone gods telling me to upgrade my phone (upgrade date is May 9th...)

Back