Fines for ICEing in WA [Passed by Senate & House, Gov!]

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DoxyLover said:
vrwl said:
Still not sure.... the salesman owns a 2012 LEAF, so he was well aware of the features of that model. We were talking about new features on the 2013 model at the time of that conversation, so I'm still wondering if there's something more than what we've already got on the 2011/2012 models.
The MY'2013 Leaf's J1772 inlet actually has a locking mechanism to grab and not release the J1772 handle! There're buttons, both on the dash and the fob, lock and unlock!

Seen it (at least the buttons) with my own eyes!

Are we sure that the buttons aren't to unlock the charge port cover though? Because I thought the Key Fob button was for that specifically, but I also thought there was some other sort of lock for the charger. Still not sure... We need someone who has taken delivery of the 2013 model to really confirm this.

Ok, here's the picture for the buttons on the inside of the car... Hmmm, DoxyLover may be right ... the 2nd button from the left looks like it might indicate a charge locking mechanism, whereas the button next to it on the right might be the charge port cover release?

2013SLWhite04.jpg

And here's the picture of the charge ports... see the white plastic piece above the orange port cover? I don't have that on my 2011 LEAF. Could that be the charge handle locking mechanism?

2013SLWhite15.jpg

vrwl said:
Ok, here's the picture for the buttons on the inside of the car... Hmmm, DoxyLover may be right ... the 2nd button from the left looks like it might indicate a charge locking mechanism, whereas the button next to it on the right might be the charge port cover release?

Yes, the 2013 manual says the buttons are "Charge connector lock switch" and "Charge port lid opener switch."

Manual said:
CHARGE CONNECTOR LOCK SWITCH
The normal or trickle charge connector can be locked to the normal charge port. The charge connector lock mode can be selected by using the charge connector lock switch, AUTO, LOCK and UNLOCK.
NOTE:
The charge connector lock can be activated when the shift lever is in the “P” position and the charge connector is connected. The charge connector lock will not be activated if the charge connector is not properly connected.
AUTO mode
To select AUTO mode, push the AUTO side 1 of the charge connector lock switch. The indicator light on the switch 3 will illuminate.
When AUTO mode is selected, the charge connector is locked while charging is in process. The charge connector will be unlocked automatically when charging is completed.
LOCK mode
To select the LOCK mode, push the LOCK side 2 of the charge connector lock switch. The indicator light on the switch 4 will illuminate.
When LOCK mode is selected, the charge connector will remain locked. The charge connector will be unlocked when UNLOCK mode is selected or temporary unlock operation is performed.
UNLOCK mode
To select UNLOCK mode, return the charge connector lock switch to the level position. Make sure the indicator light on the switch turns off.
When UNLOCK mode is selected, the charge connector will remain unlocked.
Temporary unlock position
When the charge connector lock switch is in the AUTO or LOCK position, the charge connector lock can be unlocked temporarily by using the Intelligent Key or the charge port lid opener switch
Unlock operation using Intelligent Key:
1. Push the charge connector unlock button on the Intelligent Key for more than 1 second.
2. The charging status indicator light flashes 3 times and a beep sounds 3 times. The charge connector lock is unlocked for 30 seconds.
3. After 30 seconds, the charge connector lock is locked.
Unlock operation using charge port lid opener switch:
1. Push the charge port lid opener switch.
2. The charging status indicator light flashes 3 times and a beep sounds 3 times. The charge connector lock is unlocked for 30 seconds.
3. After 30 seconds, the charge connector lock is locked.
NOTE:
• Depending on the charging station, the lock mechanism established by local standards may not be compatible with your vehicle. It may not be possible for the charge connector to lock to your vehicle.
• When the power source is cut off while charging in AUTO mode, the connector will be continuously locked for 5 minutes, then it will be released.
• When timer charging is set with AUTO mode, the connector will not lock until charging is started.
• In AUTO mode, the charge connector lock will only lock during normal charging.
When the following systems are operated individually or the 12-volt battery is being charged, the charging connector lock will not lock:
• Climate Ctrl. Timer
• Remote climate control (if so equipped)
• Li-ion battery warmer
IF THE CHARGE CONNECTOR CAN NOT BE UNLOCKED
1. Place power switch in the OFF position.
2. Open the hood.
3. Remove the jack rod from the tool set that is located in the cargo area. See “Tools” in the “In Case of Emergency” section.
4. Insert the suitable tool into the screw that is located on the front of hood lock.
5. Turn it clockwise to release the charge connector lock.
6. Remove the charge connector.

Just an update: The Washington State Senate Transportation Committee replaced the bill with a substitution that has a few minor modifications (full text), and unanimously decided to pass it to the Rules Committee which will decide if the bill will be read on the Senate floor.

So does the 2013 lock disengage when the charge is complete? I can see a lot of problems when your car get towed. Hey we towed your car and here is a $2,000 bill to fix the charger.

the WA state fine proposal looks like JUST the ticket needed.

an adventurous Seattle LEAFer tried something that worked like a charm!

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2013/03/tires-signs-and-fines.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DaveinOlyWA said:

I like it! It's probably a misdemeanor (or at least an infraction) with it's own fine on public property, but better than waiting on the powers that be.

DaveinOlyWA said:

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2013/03/tires-signs-and-fines.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice! LEAFers everywhere will be tempted to place those signs anywhere ICE-ing is problematic, in anticipation of the laws passing (do it under the cover of darkness, park away from cameras, wear a ski mask and gloves, "sign" it and run!). :lol:

Elephanthead said:
So does the 2013 lock disengage when the charge is complete? I can see a lot of problems when your car get towed. Hey we towed your car and here is a $2,000 bill to fix the charger.
I believe you can set it either way: "automatic" disengages when charging stops and "manual" requires the car owner to push a button to unlock.

Today the Washington State Senate passed SB 5849 (Substitute Bill 1, with an amendment), 43 in favor to 6 against. The amendment changed the fee to $124 instead of $250 for being parked in an EV charging station without being plugged in.

I presume it'll now go to the House and then the governor.

garygid said:
If the law does not handle the case where the EV was
unplugged by somebody, then the law will do more
to hurt EV's than to help them.
This would be a non-issue. CARWINGS retains all charging info. The citation time could be compared to the charging times to show that the car was charged and at which station. I would imagine other makers have similar logging.

Computerizer said:
The state House's Transportation committee has scheduled a public hearing for this at 3:30pm on March 26.

location? it would be great if we could get a caravan to oly for this one!

GaslessInSeattle said:
Computerizer said:
The state House's Transportation committee has scheduled a public hearing for this at 3:30pm on March 26.

location? it would be great if we could get a caravan to oly for this one!

Transportation - 03/26/13 3:30 pm
House Hearing Rm B
John L. O'Brien Building

Olympia, WA

The guy from the Seattle Electric Car Owners Association showed up at the House Transportation Committee hearing on Tuesday. They had a lot of questions which he answered. The Committee will discuss it tomorrow (28th) at 3:30pm.

Yesterday, April 12, this bill was also passed by the state House, 84-12. I'm disappointed that my particular representatives voted against it.

I presume this will now go to the governor to sign.

Computerizer said:
Yesterday, April 12, this bill was also passed by the state House, 84-12. I'm disappointed that my particular representatives voted against it.

I presume this will now go to the governor to sign.

that is exactly where its headed and we do have an EV friendly governor should its pretty much a done deal!

Back