Feeding trough

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was at the Palo Alto City Hall garage a few days ago and noticed that the charging stations were taken up by a Leaf and a Volt. Was a bit annoyed to see that the Volt was only pretending to charge (the car charger had NOT been activated though they plugged in the j1772). I was tempted to unplug it to actually charge my car, but noticed the signs about towing if not charging and decided not to be a jerk about it, despite the fact that I could have used the additional charge.

waitingforaleaf said:
Was at the Palo Alto City Hall garage a few days ago and noticed that the charging stations were taken up by a Leaf and a Volt. Was a bit annoyed to see that the Volt was only pretending to charge (the car charger had NOT been activated though they plugged in the j1772). I was tempted to unplug it to actually charge my car, but noticed the signs about towing if not charging and decided not to be a jerk about it, despite the fact that I could have used the additional charge.

Very admirable of you. And very evidential as to why AB475 is bad legislation.

waitingforaleaf said:

Ha! In my second picture (RWC), the Volt wasn't going to charge either! He didn't have a ChargePoint/ChargePass card. I helped out and swiped my card to activate for him. He seemed interested in getting a card, so perhaps next time.
By the way, the Nissan dealer was passing out free ChargePoint cards when I got my car. I guess the local GM dealer didn't do that for the Volt customers.

It really would help if these charging spots weren't in a prime area (aka near the garage entrance). They would be less likely to be abused by a person not charging (or ICE'd) if they required people to walk FARTHER away (the second level parking had PLENTY of empty parking spaces).

waitingforaleaf said:
It really would help if these charging spots weren't in a prime area (aka near the garage entrance). They would be less likely to be abused by a person not charging (or ICE'd) if they required people to walk FARTHER away (the second level parking had PLENTY of empty parking spaces).

Yes, true, and suggested by many... But:

There are apparently ADA guidelines which say that some % of the EV charge spots need to be handicap accessible, in places which end up being "prime". For instance, in that RWC picture, there is a 4th spot, EV & handicap only all the way to the right that can share the right ChargePoint station.
(Look at the lower right edge of the picture.)
rwcev.jpg

I think people have come to accept that handicap reserved spots tends to be "right in front", and have learned that they "better not park in them unless permitted." Perhaps EV spots can share the same consideration, although there is less reason for all EV spots to be so close to the facility entrance.

Another consideration - the wiring distance. Many of those prime EV spots tend to be next to power feed coming to the building. If you wanted to put them in the back of the parking lot you would have to spend money (and do more construction) to get the power lines fed further away.
(In front of that white Tesla is a door labeled "Electrical Room".)

Back