Exhaust Tip On A LEAF??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ELROY

So when I was leaving my local dealership this morning I did a double take when I saw an exhaust tip on a LEAF that was charging there.
At first I thought, why??? Is this some kind of a joke?
Then I thought, I wonder how dual exhaust tips would look. It might actually add some masculinity to the homely/meek rear end of the LEAF?
Is the owner on this forum? How is the assembly attached to the underside. The tip actually looks like it came from a factory exhaust system.

r0i5.jpg

Levenkay said:
Sacrilege! Unless, of course, the pictured pipe is the output port of a soap-bubble-blowing machine.

At least the exhaust tips will never turn black!
I really think one tip on each side would balance out the high, bland, rear bumper. Perhaps someone can photo shop one on the other side, and show us the results.

ELROY said:
I really think one tip on each side would balance out the high, bland, rear bumper.

Dual exhausts always look more "performance-y." Perhaps someone should put double exhaust tips in the middle, like some performance cars have now :lol:

RonDawg said:
ELROY said:
I really think one tip on each side would balance out the high, bland, rear bumper.

Dual exhausts always look more "performance-y." Perhaps someone should put double exhaust tips in the middle, like some performance cars have now :lol:

Yup, like this Hyundai. Actually not a bad looking car. If Hyundai can do it, you would figure Nissan can make the LEAF a little more handsome/sportier looking.

2hl9.jpg

sayz.jpg

ELROY said:
Yup, like this Hyundai. Actually not a bad looking car. If Hyundai can do it, you would figure Nissan can make the LEAF a little more handsome/sportier looking.

2hl9.jpg

The Veloster looks good from some angles (like the one in the photo) and just downright weird from other angles.

Oh and try to get into the back seat without hitting your head on the roof. I'm not tall but even I had a hard time getting into the back seat, and of course you can only do so from the right side. The Leaf may look homely, but it's an easier car to get in and out of.

LeftieBiker said:
Why go just halfway? How about dual exhaust tips in the rear and the front?

The whole point is that of every well executed exotic car...etc..the exhaust tips are a prominent design element. They could make the exhaust tips hidden (ala 2002-2008 7 series, S class, etc)..but for sportiness..they are proudly displayed. And beyond a doubt the LEAF can use a little more sportiness in the rear...not necessarily from exhaust tips..but something would be nice. As much as people laugh at the idea...take away the exhaust outlets from a new Ferrari, Corvette, LFA, etc...changes the whole character of the car.

Similar discussion can be had about whether an EV needs to have a grille to look normal. Volt has one, so does tesla, they were showing one on the LE concept, rather blingy as I recall.

How about some flashing LEDs in those EV exhaust tips? Thumbs up or down?

Well, you still need an air intake for air conditioning, system cooling, and the like...

LTLFTcomposite said:
Similar discussion can be had about whether an EV needs to have a grille to look normal. Volt has one, so does tesla, they were showing one on the LE concept, rather blingy as I recall.

ELROY said:
The whole point is that of every well executed exotic car...etc..the exhaust tips are a prominent design element. They could make the exhaust tips hidden (ala 2002-2008 7 series, S class, etc)..but for sportiness..they are proudly displayed. And beyond a doubt the LEAF can use a little more sportiness in the rear...not necessarily from exhaust tips..but something would be nice. As much as people laugh at the idea...take away the exhaust outlets from a new Ferrari, Corvette, LFA, etc...changes the whole character of the car.
I don't think the Leaf should have any exhaust tips for a couple of reasons:

1) In general, for efficiency, form should follow function. Since the Leaf doesn't have an exhaust, it shouldn't have exhaust tips.

2) The Leaf isn't an exotic -performance- car. (I might argue the Leaf is an exotic car.) Since it isn't a performance car, it -really- doesn't need tarted up tips.

All that being said, I complete agree about the rear needing help. I'm sort of okay with the straight on rear view (the vertical lights are okay...) but the rear quarter panels need a redesign.

LeftieBiker said:
Why go just halfway? How about dual exhaust tips in the rear and the front?

Let's not be shy. After all, nothing says "sporty" like multiple pollution ports!

C18.jpg

^ Ah yes, the extremely rare C450AMG boasting AMG's hand-built 43-liter V68, making an impressive 4200 horsepower while managing 6 gpm (that's gallons per mile).

But seriously, putting exhaust tips on a Leaf is stupid. Not burning fossil fuel is the point of the car.

jhm614 said:
ELROY said:
I don't think the Leaf should have any exhaust tips for a couple of reasons:

1) In general, for efficiency, form should follow function. Since the Leaf doesn't have an exhaust, it shouldn't have exhaust tips.

2) The Leaf isn't an exotic -performance- car. (I might argue the Leaf is an exotic car.) Since it isn't a performance car, it -really- doesn't need tarted up tips.

All that being said, I complete agree about the rear needing help. I'm sort of okay with the straight on rear view (the vertical lights are okay...) but the rear quarter panels need a redesign.

You are right. That rear quarter arch view is horrendous. Surprised they sell as many LEAFs as they do. Soon as a mainstream good looking EV comes out in the LEAFs price range with performance to match, the LEAF will be in trouble. I'm surprised more people haven't purchased the Focus EV with its new pricing. My coworker just got one. and it is gorgeous inside, looks normal on the outside. But I did beat him in 5 straight races from 0-40mph.

Actually, I wouldn't mind the way the LEAF looks if it was extraordinarily fast. There is nothing like a understated vehicle that moves. Doesn't attract the attention of the cops, and would be neat to see the looks of the V8 muscle car driver as you pull away from them. I mean, I already do that from most intersections with many cars I come across, but I'm not going to fool myself into thinking the car is faster than it is. And giving it throttle at 40mph, is barely noticeable.

Fog machine, bubbles, or pepper spray for tailgaters would be more practical than just putting an exhaust tip there for show. If they're trying to butch the car up, how about one of those plastic scrotums that some of the pickup trucks have? Geez... The only kind of mid-life crisis the Leaf should help with is "OMG I'm destroying the planet!". My global impact is the only thing I'm compensating for anyway.

LOL. I think a dual SS polished exhaust, if done right, would make the back end of the Leaf better.

But why stop there? Maybe someone can mod up an interfooler for the front. :D

Boourns said:
^ Ah yes, the extremely rare C450AMG boasting AMG's hand-built 43-liter V68, making an impressive 4200 horsepower while managing 6 gpm (that's gallons per mile).

But seriously, putting exhaust tips on a Leaf is stupid. Not burning fossil fuel is the point of the car.
+1. There you go; I agree 100%

Back