EVSEUpgrade high power OR ClipperCreek HCS-40 30a

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

co2lol

EVSEUpgrade high power OR ClipperCreek HCS-40 30a

I can wire up the CC unit with no issue and minimal cost, so with that out of the equation I am trying to decide between the two...which one and why have, or would, you choose? Cost difference is a factor, but not a huge one to me. More wondering about speed of charging and ease of use. Thoughts?

If cost isn't a factor get the CC and leave the Panasonic in the car so you have two and full speed charging.

Another option: for about $30 more than the EVSE Upgrade, get the OpenEVSE unit from GlennD who builds them as a hobby

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=16663" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In this way, you have TWO units and you can leave the Nissan EVSE in the car.

The EVSE Upgrade is adjustable if needed, can run on any 240V outlet with adapters for portable use, and is 120/240V. I keep my upgraded unit in the car 24/7 with four 240V adapters and a quick 220 just in case:)

The EVSEupgrade high power will only go up to 20A max while the ClipperCreek goes up to 30A. If you have a 2013 or later LEAF that has the 6KW charger, the CC will charge faster.

But the EVSEupgrade high power is current adjustable and works with either 120V or 240V, so it's more versatile. Also, in terms of reliability, I'd hedge my bet on the Panasonic being more reliable.

EVSEupgrade is offering some open box higher power Panasonic unit for only $650. So another option would be to buy this open box instead of sending yours in for an upgrade. Then you keep your original Panasonic in the LEAF for emergency and use the high power one at home. But now you also have the option of taking your high power one with you in case you can do 240V charging at a friend or family's house from their dryer or stove outlet. Add a Quick220 (or build one) then you have even more versatility of doing 240V charging on the run.

Back