EVSE Installation, Info and Cost Comparison Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
marc said:
The recommendation I got from another blog was to get a charger from Clippercreek.net and have a local electrician wire it in. Already working on that. Plus, they have a 100A charger option.

LOL. Clippercreek.net have not even updated their website ...

Whatever your electric vehicle infrastructure needs, ClipperCreek, Inc. has your EV Charging Station (EVSE) ready to go. ClipperCreek's products are compatible with the BMW Mini E and The Tesla Roadster and all SAE compatible vehicles coming to market soon, including the Chevy Volt and the Nissan Cube Minicar.

Just a note on the $100 assessment fee. It IS applicable toward the install should you choose to move forward with AeroVironment.

I just got my assessment. I claim longest wait for a quote: Assessment on July 1, quote (after calling to bug them 3 times) on August 20. What is that, 51 days?

Anyway, I can't believe I'm saying this, but the quote appears to be reasonable: $2,636.
Custom Installation: $1,686.60
Charging Dock, Wall Mount, 25' Cable: $721.12
Installation Permit and Processing: $115
Shipping and Delivery: $49.95
Sales Tax: $63.41

Before you gasp and reach for your keyboards, here's why it's reasonable.

The parts and labor for the custom install are listed at $1,686.60.
The two quotes I have gotten from two local electricians to just install the correct breaker in my panel and run the conduit and wire (through an attic and an interior garden atrium) to the designated location in the garage and terminate at a J-box were $1,783 and $1,650. Those quotes do NOT include connection of the wiring to the EVSE, verification of proper operation AND the 3 year warranties that AV provides.

I'm pursuing the option of getting a TOU meter from my utility, SCE, which I believe has its own 40 amp breaker provided. I've asked Sarah at AV to check with the AV contracted electrician, Aliso, to see how much the $1,686 would be reduced if they don't have to provide and install a 40 amp breaker in my panel.

I've discovered that my panel is rated for only 20 breakers and it already has that many installed, so if I can't use the SCE two meter option, I'll have to upgrade my panel to a new 200 amp panel. My best quote so far is $2,050 for that upgrade.

Hi Boomer.
Hey that's great that AV gave you an estimate which appears to be correct. That is the only ONE I have heard of. Most of the other AV quotes I have read in our discussions have been over priced. Like I said, yours is the first AV quote that may be accurate! Lucky and glad for you.
Still don't like AV and I think they are price gouging 99% of the time!

Boomer23 said:
I just got my assessment. I claim longest wait for a quote: Assessment on July 1, quote (after calling to bug them 3 times) on August 20. What is that, 51 days?

Anyway, I can't believe I'm saying this, but the quote appears to be reasonable: $2,636.
Custom Installation: $1,686.60
Charging Dock, Wall Mount, 25' Cable: $721.12
Installation Permit and Processing: $115
Shipping and Delivery: $49.95
Sales Tax: $63.41

Before you gasp and reach for your keyboards, here's why it's reasonable.

The parts and labor for the custom install are listed at $1,686.60.
The two quotes I have gotten from two local electricians to just install the correct breaker in my panel and run the conduit and wire (through an attic and an interior garden atrium) to the designated location in the garage and terminate at a J-box were $1,783 and $1,650. Those quotes do NOT include connection of the wiring to the EVSE, verification of proper operation AND the 3 year warranties that AV provides.

I'm pursuing the option of getting a TOU meter from my utility, SCE, which I believe has its own 40 amp breaker provided. I've asked Sarah at AV to check with the AV contracted electrician, Aliso, to see how much the $1,686 would be reduced if they don't have to provide and install a 40 amp breaker in my panel.

I've discovered that my panel is rated for only 20 breakers and it already has that many installed, so if I can't use the SCE two meter option, I'll have to upgrade my panel to a new 200 amp panel. My best quote so far is $2,050 for that upgrade.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$2,050 to convert an old 80 or 100 amp to a 200 amp looks like a deal to me, based on myself paying $2,500 at one house (80 to 200 amp) and $3,000 and another house (100 to 200 amp). Both were fairly easy to take out the old panels and install the larger panels.

Your AV quote does look like a decent price compared to mine: (My AV quote was-Standard/simple install $1,296.68, 25' cable, etc= $2,318.06.

Plus, Nissan says you can roll the price of installation into the price of the Leaf, which is nice if you are going to finance or lease it.

I'll be getting a Leviton or Schneider.

gasmiser1 said:
$2,050 to convert an old 80 or 100 amp to a 200 amp looks like a deal to me, based on myself paying $2,500 at one house (80 to 200 amp) and $3,000 and another house (100 to 200 amp). Both were fairly easy to take out the old panels and install the larger panels.

Yep, I was impressed by the local electrician on that quote. He was running a special on panel upgrades.

That also includes the stucco repair, which he itemized at $300.

He'll probably extend it to others in the area: Jason Wakefield Electric in Orange County at 714-883-5064.

Great info.

Because of his good treatment of you, I will be sure to call him FIRST if I end up needing electrical work done (in Laguna Hills) ... which I suspect I will, perhaps a whole trenching and service upgrade, either soon, or eventually.

Let him know that he is getting some good press.

Update....

I believe AV is reading these blogs... or, Nissan passed on my evaluation which was not flattering. Who knows. Either way, I got a call back from EV today and they had revised my quote again. This time, $1591 total.

$721 for the dock, $700 for install, $50 for permit, $50 for S&H, rest is tax. Plus the guy was much nicer on the phone.
Still rather high for a 1 hour job, but the warranty benefits (not 100% sure what they are yet) may make the deal worth the premium.

I do not yet know what warranty issues Nissan has with using your own charger... this is the wild card.

Note that this is for wiring to a junction box 6" away that already has 100 AMPS of 240VAC in the garage, and the proper tandem circuit breakers in the electrical panel. When I say a 1 hour job, that assumes a 30 minute coffee break and a 20 minute lecture about how to stick the hose - err cable - into the car. :)

marc said:
Update....

I believe AV is reading these blogs... or, Nissan passed on my evaluation which was not flattering. Who knows. Either way, I got a call back from EV today and they had revised my quote again. This time, $1591 total.

$721 for the dock, $700 for install, $50 for permit, $50 for S&H, rest is tax. Plus the guy was much nicer on the phone.

Nissan is definitely reading.

IF AV is reading......you've seen my suggestion that my install (assuming the 3 year in-home warranty) should be ~$1700. I would welcome your rebid, and accept if it were.

good to see some movement on this issue. Being in
Florida there will be a number of choices by the time
that we get processed. I would like to simplify it all
by choosing AV but not at ridiculous cost.

hodad66 said:
Agreed. I cancelled my appointment to get a quote, but may reconsider in a couple of months if AV becomes more competitive. Since I have an order date of January, I am in no hurry.

marc said:

May be it is the poll - where a small % said they will take get it installed through AV. Something like 2 out of 40 yesterday. :lol:

Yes - hopefully there is a reasonable response.

However - the wrong response by Nissan would be to re-quote only those people who bitch about it. Do the right thing and offer to do the job at standard electrician rates for everyone, or I'll go elsewhere. The labor cost for a "standard" install should be in the neighborhood of $500 - not in the $1600 neighborhood.
Stoaty said:
hodad66 said:
Agreed. I cancelled my appointment to get a quote, but may reconsider in a couple of months if AV becomes more competitive. Since I have an order date of January, I am in no hurry.

I want to thank everyone for posting to this topic. It has been a BIG wake up call for me. I live in a sixty year old home with mostly fifty year old updated knob and tube wiring. Yes it does have circuit breakers and even two 220v ( NOT knob and tube!) plugs for a dryer and range. Now, I was willing to spend up to $2000.00 which would be a $1,000 after a tax credit.

I cancelled my estimate appointment after reading the postings in this section. If I received an estimate of only $4,000 I would be surprised. I was excited about the chance of owning an electric car, now I'm getting 'buyers' remorse' many months before I would have the chance to take delivery!

I hope Nissan reconsiders and allows 110W charging. I know it will cost me no more than $500 to have a new 120W 60hz 30A circuit installed. I do not drive more a 100 miles a month, I do not need a fancy charger. If it takes a day to charge the car, it's ok with me, I do not use my car everyday AND I have another car.

electriclarry said:
I hope Nissan reconsiders and allows 110W charging.

You can just call Nissan and ask for a waiver. You don't need to install the 220V EVSE. See the threads on ordering process.

electriclarry said:
I hope Nissan reconsiders and allows 110W charging. I know it will cost me no more than $500 to have a new 120W 60hz 30A circuit installed. I do not drive more a 100 miles a month, I do not need a fancy charger. If it takes a day to charge the car, it's ok with me, I do not use my car everyday AND I have another car.

Larry, do not despair or be remorseful, 110 Volt charging is a standard feature of the Leaf! It is called "trickle charging" and the connection cord comes standard with the car. The outlet should be a ground fault interrupter (GCFI) type, but that is simple for an electrician to install.

Your electric dreams are still alive.

marc said:
Update....

Still rather high for a 1 hour job, but the warranty benefits (not 100% sure what they are yet) may make the deal worth the premium.

I do not yet know what warranty issues Nissan has with using your own charger... this is the wild card.

Note that this is for wiring to a junction box 6" away that already has 100 AMPS of 240VAC in the garage, and the proper tandem circuit breakers in the electrical panel. When I say a 1 hour job, that assumes a 30 minute coffee break and a 20 minute lecture about how to stick the hose - err cable - into the car. :)

That seems like a reasonable estimate. Obviously, labor still looks a bit ($400-500) inflated for the work you're describing, but you have to assume some kind of profit split between AV and their contractor. I hope that my requested revised estimate looks something like this.

electriclarry said:
II hope Nissan reconsiders and allows 110W charging. I know it will cost me no more than $500 to have a new 120W 60hz 30A circuit installed.
You only need a 20A circuit - will be even cheaper.

Nissan allows 120v charging, and evev includes the L1 EVSE with the LEAF.

Actually, only a 15-amp breaker is needed. But, if you are adding a breaker, adding a 20-amp breaker is essentially the same cost.

Back