EVSE Installation, Info and Cost Comparison Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of you must be kidding. I can't be the only shloemoe that knows how to call up a company and get a quote, right? It was the least expensive model offered by clippercreek that quoted $3,000. BTW, here's an email note (name redacted) I received from another Leaf wait list person, up in L.A. county:

"... We did the AV EVSE site assessment process a few weeks ago. Garage is pre-wired with a TAL currently installed. I told the AV rep that I would remove the TAL so that the AV unit could simply be hooked up in its place.

Quote came back $721.12 for the charge dock, $49.95 shipping and $649.85 for
installation.

I called Nissan today and was put through to AV. I said the installation cost seemed excessive, and was told that pre-wired install quotes were running about half the average "complete" install quote and would probably not go lower.

Then I was told that if I wanted I could "opt out" of the AV installation process and just purchase the charge dock for the $721.12 plus shipping. They said a waiver for installation-related liability will be required, and the 3 year warranty will only apply to the charge dock itself and will not include free onsite service.

I am now on the "cash and carry" list with AV.

That was easy.

EDIT:
Now, for the other 2 quotes around two grand (oh btw, trying to look out for peoples interest, and since we have a tax exempt/resellers license w/ the BOE, We asked for quotes in quantities of 10 ... so good luck dreaming it'll be less than this :D ) ... one was with coulomb ... & the other ... I'm still looking up ... so I'll do another edit as time permits.

EDIT #2:
Blink - that's the 3rd quote ... sheesh, the goofy name, and it was the hardest to remember. It too, in quantity, was over two grand.

The clipper creek unit is a far better quality unit but that aside I don't understand the big deal. CC unites are not marketed to consumers but they have new units on the way that will be. I wired mine and I'll buy an EVSE for under $600, total cost before credits will be about $700 since I wired it. If I hired an electrician the labor and materials would be about $500 so a total of $1100. The AV box is really worth about $250 retail IMO and they won't be getting my business if it were priced at that. Why would you buy a clipper creek model at that price when there are far less expensive models. Even converting a Tesla unit that would be 80A would be less with a new cord.

Unless I'm mistaken the AV dock install video has been edited to no longer show the inside of the dock and reveal the few parts inside, when you see the inside you may laugh if you know electronics. Talk about margin. The old video clearly showed the connections and parts inside.

I had a RAV4-EV, so the electric wiring was all in place. I figure it was a 60 minute install - including the time to "train" me. Got a quote for over $2400. After multiple calls, was able to get a "custom" quote:

product/service description quantity unit price line total

charging dock, wall mount 25' cable * 1 721.12 721.12

custom installation 1 670.03 670.03

shipping and delivery 1 49.95 49.95

installation permit and processing 1 0.02 0.02

sales tax * US$70.31

total US$1,511.43

Still seems crazy to me to pay $670 for an hour of work.

josh said:
I had a RAV4-EV, so the electric wiring was all in place. I figure it was a 60 minute install - including the time to "train" me. Got a quote for over $2400. After multiple calls, was able to get a "custom" quote:

custom installation 1 670.03 670.03

installation permit and processing 1 0.02 0.02

sales tax * US$70.31

total US$1,511.43

Still seems crazy to me to pay $670 for an hour of work.

If you are still wired why don't you install it yourself or pay an electrician $200 max to do it.

A few screws to mount and 3 wires to connect.
Apparently no permit required.

What Breaker size is installed on that circuit now?

CAUTIONS:
1. Even though power is OFF, handle the wires AS IF power is ON.
2. If you are not confident that you UNDERSTAND completely what to do, STOP and get competent help.
3. If you are not completely confident that you ARE ABLE to do the next step safely, STOP and get competent help.

So, I might be able to drive up there to help you connect, if you cannot get somebody local or do it completely yourself.

Approximate DIY Steps:
1. Identify and check Breaker, power off, and check no voltage and wire size.
2. Clean old wires, power on, test voltage.
3. Power off, check for no voltage, "cap" and feed wires through the mounting bracket (or into the new unit) and fasten bracket (or new unit) to the wall, "hanging" the new unit.
4. Extend wires if necessary, and connect in 3 places. Might require 3 big wire nuts and some proper-gauge wire.
5. Power on, measure voltages, power off, close up the new unit.
6. Power back on, check unit operation with "Faux-EV", measuring voltages.

Total time about 30 to 60 minutes, mostly for testing.

EVDRIVER said:
The clipper creek unit is a far better quality unit but that aside I don't understand the big deal. CC unites are not marketed to consumers but they have new units on the way that will be. I wired mine and I'll buy an EVSE for under $600, total cost before credits will be about $700 since I wired it. If I hired an electrician the labor and materials would be about $500 so a total of $1100. The AV box is really worth about $250 retail IMO and they won't be getting my business if it were priced at that. Why would you buy a clipper creek model at that price when there are far less expensive models. Even converting a Tesla unit that would be 80A would be less with a new cord.

If any or all all those "far less expensive models" are out there, yes ... why ARE we onto page 63.
That's only part of my inquiry. Just out of curiosity btw, "units not marketed to consumers" versus units that are marketed to consumers. Am I to understand that "units not marketed to consumers" is some kind of descriptive and rational reason why AV will sell to you or me for under $1,000 and "units not marketed to consumers" go for 2 to 3 times as much?

Then there is the illusive "way cheapr than AV", U.L. listed model that we all keep thinking is just around the corner (because it's "not marketed to consumers" :? ). I got PM a couple weeks ago, from one of those austensibly "low cost" companies. Attached below is their screen name. Last time I checked, they had ZERO posts:

Deltapowersystems

Below you'll see why they were PM'ing me ... quoted word for word:

What if I told I could get you a charger (level2) for you and have someone install it for you?

Jeremy Smith
Call me whacky, but if it was ME, and I wanted to direct YOU to my reputable EVSE business, I'd tell you all about why it is, that MY EVSE business is just what you were looking for ... and I'd answer all your questions if YOU wanted to know how MY system differs from clippercreek, and AV, and GE. But if you only got THIS as a response:

What do you mean? Who said GE? I am just trying to help.
Jeremy

What would YOU think. ... that maybe this was akin to one of those email we all get?
"Hi, I'm king Abdua ... please help me transfer $2,000,000 into the U.S. and I'll give you 10%.

Maybe there IS a $250 or $150 EVSE on the horizon ... and may be the $200,000 bank account transfer WILL take place some day. Maybe I'm to jaded to wait to find out ... I duno. It's certainly not my intent to sound testy ... or confrontational ... but until I see the cheep U.L. plug actually paid for & delivered (hopefully by a reputable/well established company)... there aint no such animal. It's just hopefull/wishfull talk.
I'd hope any others who get PM's or hear about a budget deal EVSE don't rush off headlong and wire transfer payment money too quickly.

Hill pretty much summed up what I have been able to find out about a retail purchace of a level 2 EVSE. After much research, I too can't find any EVSE manufacturer who will sell to the general public. Hope might get you elected to office, but it won't get you a level 2 EVSE.

HIll- I think people here are attempting to help you and you seem to be undecided. What is your goal?

Bob4017 said:
Hill pretty much summed up what I have been able to find out about a retail purchace of a level 2 EVSE. After much research, I too can't find any EVSE manufacturer who will sell to the general public. Hope might get you elected to office, but it won't get you a level 2 EVSE.

Perhaps because the retail sellers are not offering the product yet as it is a bit early and some like Leivton have set a target for Nov. Before Leaf orders even started I doubt they would have sold more than a few to early adopters. Some have stated Jan of next year and what is the rush, you can't even buy a AV one now. There is plenty of time to see what happens and there will be options.

EVDRIVER said:
Unless I'm mistaken the AV dock install video has been edited to no longer show the inside of the dock and reveal the few parts inside, when you see the inside you may laugh if you know electronics. Talk about margin. The old video clearly showed the connections and parts inside.
I really want to take advantage of the tax credit. However it will kill me if these things are $200 or less by next year. L1 might just be fine for a while ;)

smkettner said:
EVDRIVER said:
I really want to take advantage of the tax credit. However it will kill me if these things are $200 or less by next year. L1 might just be fine for a while ;)

I doubt that they will be by next year but perhaps $500. Regardless I prefer something better than the AV dock.

palmermd said:
bgj said:
It took them from July 19 till September 17 to give me an outrageous estimate of $3155.29. I just filled out a survey that Nissan sent about this company’s service. Needless to say I said it was the worst possible experience I could have had and it cost me a $100 to be insulted.

I'm still waiting for my insult to arrive (since Aug 9). I'm already preparing to send my nasty response. For some reason, I keep getting this small thought in the back of my mind that they might send me a reasonable quote. Every time I see a response here like yours, I realize that it is not going to happen.

It finally arrived today. Just as everyone else has shown, they sent a "standard" quotation even thought they send out somebody to take measurements for a custom installation.
standard installation 1 1,296.68 1,296.68
installation permit and processing 1 250.00 250.00

sales tax * US$64.90

total US$2,382.65
expires on 12/31/2010

palmermd said:
palmermd said:
bgj said:
It took them from July 19 till September 17 to give me an outrageous estimate of $3155.29. I just filled out a survey that Nissan sent about this company’s service. Needless to say I said it was the worst possible experience I could have had and it cost me a $100 to be insulted.

I'm still waiting for my insult to arrive (since Aug 9). I'm already preparing to send my nasty response. For some reason, I keep getting this small thought in the back of my mind that they might send me a reasonable quote. Every time I see a response here like yours, I realize that it is not going to happen.

It finally arrived today. Just as everyone else has shown, they sent a "standard" quotation even thought they send out somebody to take measurements for a custom installation.
standard installation 1 1,296.68 1,296.68
installation permit and processing 1 250.00 250.00

sales tax * US$64.90

total US$2,382.65
expires on 12/31/2010

This shows their level of competence and people are going to trust them to service their EVSE in a timely manner? The lowest labor for a pre-wired home is $750 as per AV.

EVDRIVER said:
HIll- I think people here are attempting to help you and you seem to be undecided. What is your goal?

Oh no ... We're very decided. WE'd love to have our EVSE up and running already by buying the Blink, or clippercreek or coulomb, but they're too expensive. And since we're already set up for an EVSE (breaker, 8 gauge wire ... junction box ... even mounted some 3/4" plywood !), We're going to make AV EARN their 2 grand. We're considering having SCE (our utility co.) add a TOU meter for the EV, and have AV "do it all" to the new connection ... which is more complex then if they'd simply hook into the existing set up we already have. Hey, if they want to bid two grand as a cookie cutter bid ... fine ... that's how we'll make 'em earn it. Oh yea ... we definately have a plan.
;)

Know why this is especially cool (besides being kind of spite driven)? Because the TOU comes right off the utility wires ... rather than running through our existing 225 amp service panel. So ... that leaves ALL of our existing empty breaker spots for later use, rather than using a chunk for the EVSE.

Your AV-bid for your minimal but "standard" job would get the "contracted" installer only $500, including materials, I was told.

However, this "different" job might need another non-standard quote, right?

hill said:
EVDRIVER said:

Oh no ... We're very decided. WE'd love to have our EVSE up and running already by buying the Blink, or clippercreek or coulomb, but they're too expensive. And since we're already set up for an EVSE (breaker, 8 gauge wire ... junction box ... even mounted some 3/4" plywood !), We're going to make AV EARN their 2 grand. We're considering having SCE (our utility co.) add a TOU meter for the EV, and have AV "do it all" to the new connection ... which is more complex then if they'd simply hook into the existing set up we already have. Hey, if they want to bid two grand as a cookie cutter bid ... fine ... that's how we'll make 'em earn it. Oh yea ... we definately have a plan.
;)

Know why this is especially cool (besides being kind of spite driven)? Because the TOU comes right of the utility wires ... rather than running through our existing 225 amp service panel. So ... that leaves ALL of our existing empty breaker spots for later use, rather than using a chunk for the EVSE.

Good luck, unless it's in the bid they won't be doing it.

After looking at what Leviton is doing with their EVSE products I'm impressed to see the 10 year warranty on all their EVSE components. I wish the 7.2 kw EVSE were available this year like the 3.8kw model as that is the one I'm interested in getting. In the meantime I will make another temp solution but I don't think I will invest in a 3.3 kw EVSE as I know I will end up with a higher power charger at some point or another EV and I'm not going to buy a product from a company that does not have a proven record of support and stability.

Perhaps it will be easy to "reset" the 3.8 kW model to make it do 7.2 kW charging?

Quite possibly, there are only a very few changes needed.

Really, IMO, they should be selling only one model, the physically smaller one, with (at least) three max-current settings.

Back