EVGo charges .35 per minute. How much charge should I expect in 10 minutes?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake14mw

Hi All,

My daughter will be commuting to college which is a one way trip of 35 miles next semester. I am thinking of having her use our 2014 Leaf. Battery SOH is currently around 87% according to Leafspy. The college has a few L2 chargers, so if she can charge there, there should be no range anxiety. If she can't for some reason, she would not be able to make a round trip most days. There is a 50kw EVGo Chademo charger about midway home. It says it charges 35 cents per minute. In order for her to need it, the car would have to be below 30%. I'm trying to figure out how expensive that would be. What is the rate of charge I should expect at a charger like that? Can I expect 20 miles of range in 10 minutes? Thanks.

The claim always made by Nissan (and it's accurate enough, from what I've read) is that the Gen I Leaf will charge from 0% to 80% in 30 minutes of QC. It will, however, start to taper somewhere between 80% and 95%. So assuming that she starts at 30%, she should get 1/3 of 80%, or about 27% of a full charge. Miles gained will depend on her driving efficiency.

By comparasion a corolla can get 35-40 mpg in freeway round trip at $3.20 per gallon thats $6.40, a nissan leaf at freeway speeds will get about 3.5 miles per khw, thats about 20 kw roundtrip, if you get the first charge at $0.10 per kwh thats $1.00 and to come back you need the fast charge or about 10 minutes thats $3.50, the round trip would be about $4.50, that is if it only needs about 10 minutes wich should get about 1/3 of charge or about 20 miles, which may no be very accurate, sometimes the charges are iced or non working, you have to keep in mind the weather and that if the day is too hot the battery may overheat and you wont be able to charge as fast, cold weather reduces range too, best thing to do is make a trip test and see if you can make it and how much would actually cost.

One other thing: as the battery degrades it takes less energy to fill it, so a more degraded pack will gain a higher percentage than a less degraded one. So she could see a 30% or more gain in charge, but it would be the same amount of energy, and thus the same number of miles of range added.

Thanks all. The alternative is a Mazda CX-9 that gets probably 19 mpg for that trip. Here in CT, gas is currently around $2.60 per gallon, and electricity at home is .20/kwh. I think the key is going to be how reliably she can charge at school.

jake14mw said:
Hi All,

My daughter will be commuting to college which is a one way trip of 35 miles next semester. I am thinking of having her use our 2014 Leaf. Battery SOH is currently around 87% according to Leafspy. The college has a few L2 chargers, so if she can charge there, there should be no range anxiety. If she can't for some reason, she would not be able to make a round trip most days. There is a 50kw EVGo Chademo charger about midway home. It says it charges 35 cents per minute. In order for her to need it, the car would have to be below 30%. I'm trying to figure out how expensive that would be. What is the rate of charge I should expect at a charger like that? Can I expect 20 miles of range in 10 minutes? Thanks.

Get the monthly subscription. Its only $8 and will lower your charging rate. Only need to stop there like 3-4 times for 10 mins each to make some money on costs. I find that charging stations at colleges are ICE'd frequently with near zero parking enforcement.

Depending on battery temperature and SoC, it will accept between 30 - 45 kW.
That means between 30 - 45 kWh an hour
There are 60 minutes in an hour
-> so each minute supplies 30/60 -- 45/60 kWh, 0.5 -- 0.75 kWh

If a minute costs 35 cents then a kWh costs as little as 35/0.75 or as much as 35/0.5 cents
That is quite expensive but she would only need 0 - 7.5 kWh supplement depending on the season.

I think the bigger obstacle (at least in the winter) she might run into is range anxiety to reach the charger if traffic, vehicle speed or her heating habits lead to high consumption. Is she capable of being an efficient driver ?

----
The two of you need to learn to think in kWh and to attach LeafSpy to get the value. Trying to translate to miles is an exercise in frustration

jake14mw said:
Hi All,

You should joint CHARGEPOINT... The are often at schools and are FREE or close to free...

I would never pay by the minute... they are trying to charge you 2-3 of what gas costs...

More like 5 times the price of gasoline:
50 kW * (1/60 hours) = 0.833 kWh
$0.35 / 0.833 kWh = $0.42 / kWh
$0.42 / kWh * 33.7 kWh / gallon = $14.15 / gallon equivalent.

Though at $0.20/ kWh for home electricity, the DCFC is only charging you about double (maybe 2.5 x considering a Leaf will max out at 45 kW or so and the effective price per kWh will be a bit higher), so using it for about 25% of your charging isn't terrible.

EVs don't look so attractive in places with expensive electricity and cheap gasoline, do they. In Alberta, we pay $0.11 / kWh for electricity and $1.00 to $1.20 / liter ($3.80 to $4.50 / gallon) for gasoline, so the cost is about the same on an energy equivalent basis and all of the increased efficiency of electric drive translates into operating cost savings.

Titanium48 said:
apples to oranges.
You do not care about cost per source energy btu, you care about cost per mile. The drivetrain efficiencies have to be considered.

LEAF:
About 4 miles per kWh,
So about 10 cents a mile.

ICE:
OP has a 19 mpg car (that may get less in actual driving) so petrol would have to be less than $1.90 a gallon to be cheaper. If petrol is $2.85 a gallon the cost is 15 cents a mile

Titanium48 said:

Though at $0.20/ kWh for home electricity, the DCFC is only charging you about double (maybe 2.5 x considering a Leaf will max out at 45 kW or so and the effective price per kWh will be a bit higher), so using it for about 25% of your charging isn't terrible.

EVs don't look so attractive in places with expensive electricity and cheap gasoline, do they. In Alberta, we pay $0.11 / kWh for electricity and $1.00 to $1.20 / liter ($3.80 to $4.50 / gallon) for gasoline, so the cost is about the same on an energy equivalent basis and all of the increased efficiency of electric drive translates into operating cost savings.
33.7 KWH at 4 mi /KWH = 134 MPGE. if your car got 30 MPG then you would use 4.5 gal of gas. At local So CAL prices $3.399/gal that's $15.30. So it would still be cheaper even if you did all your charging at a public station. If 75% of your charging was done at home, the numbers get even more lopsided. If you can charge with PV power like I do then costs plummet. My PV array generates power at cost of 2.1 cents a KWH based on a 25yr life which is probably on the low side.

Using energy equivalence isn't valid anyway because you lose 2/3 of the energy value in gasoline to heat losses. Electric is about 85% efficient wall to tires. Heat losses in an EV are so low you need aux heaters for the passengers.

johnlocke said:
Using energy equivalence isn't valid anyway because you lose 2/3 of the energy value in gasoline to heat losses. Electric is about 85% efficient wall to tires. Heat losses in an EV are so low you need aux heaters for the passengers.
Which translates into substantial operational savings with an EV when electricity and gasoline are priced similarly on an energy content basis, because the greatly increased efficiency means the EV uses much less fuel, helping to justify paying the substantial price premium of an EV compared to a gas car. That gets more difficult when the operational savings shrink because gas is cheap and electricity is expensive in your location. The economics also get worse in winter when ICE waste heat is not all wasted. I only got about 3.2 km/kWh (2 mi/kWh, 67 MPGe) when it was really cold (below -20°C) in February. That's still at least twice the efficiency of any gas car in those conditions so I was still saving 50% on fuel cost at my local prices, but my Leaf would have cost more to run than a similar gas car if my electricity cost $0.20 / kWh ($6.74 / gallon equivalent) and gasoline cost only $0.70 / L ($2.60 / gallon).

Titanium48 said:

:lol:

I am fine supporting the chargers when needed as 95% of the time I am charging at home, and am happy to pay a bit when I need to drive beyond range of my car.

Even if at a price the same or slightly higher then the $3.20/gallon at the local pump here in Chicago.

Back