Ever Charged at Someone's Home Listed on Plugshare?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ranss12

I've been on Plugshare for over a year now and as of today no one has stopped by for a Level 2 (or Level 1) charge. I told my wife, who was a little hesitant to list our charger on Plugshare, that I would be surprised if we got more than 1 or two visitors a year. I may have overestimated the number of potential visitors! Have any of you fellow Plugsharers had any EVers drop in for a charge, or have you ever stopped in to charge at someone else's house? Maybe a poll is in order.

I'll stop by as soon as I can. :lol: Nope, sorry not enough people around here listed. I tried to contact someone once, but no reply.

I've been on plugshare nearly 2 years. And I'm in a prime location. What I mean by that is, my home pretty much fills a void in the area where there are no charging stations in 10 miles in pretty much any direction. So far, never had a call.

I suspect people would not use a home charger unless they literally could not make it to a public charger. And if we've learned anything over 2 years it is that Leaf owners tend to plan better than that in the first place. But I still keep my home listed because if anything it helps give new buyers a safety net until they realize they don't need it. In other words the sheer presence of my home on the network may do more good than anyone actually using it.

On the flip side, I've never asked to use anyone's home charger.

I've had four LEAFs over to my house for electrons. It's a convenient spot for people having dinner in Rockridge or with friends in the neighborhood. There are so many charging stations in the Bay Area now that I doubt that I'll have many visitors in the future.

I have my house listed, but I'm in a residential (suburban) area not really convenient to anything. Another issue I didn't originally consider: My J1772 is on the inside back wall of my garage - you can't charge outside. Unless I'm home, that's not available. I do have a 20A 120V on a lamppost that I'd be happy to share.

I did get one request from a Volt who was going to a business meeting at a corporation 4 miles from my house. it was when I turned his request down that I realized the access issues (and the kind of ridiculousness of a volt driver wanting to go through such lengths to charge...)

I remain listed as I would be willing to help in an emergency.

Still looking for someone with a Tesla, dual charger, model S, to try my 280volt 48amp, EVSES. Listed in plugshare, Philip C. West of lake Skinner.

I only had one taker. It was a couple who were testing out a LEAF by going on a 80-100 mile tour before buying. I enjoyed talking with them, and they left a very nice comment on PlugShare.

I'm a mile and a half from the freeway, and I made it clear that my EVSE is only 12A/240v, not 16A, so those things may have put people off. On the other side of the picture, my J1772 is hanging on a hose rack outside the corner of my garage (though the EVSE is permanently fastened behind a fence) and we have several restaurants within easy walking distance.

Actually, I am no longer shown on PlugShare. I'm not sure why, but I guess it is OK, since the local Ford dealer now has an L2 right at the freeway exit. There were no public EVSEs within ten miles until they got theirs recently.

Ray

I have been on PlugShare since it started. No charge site within 15 miles at the time. As others have said, home sites were always my last choice, and as a back up. There are now 5 charge sites within a mile, closer to the freeway, 24/7 available, and 3 of those are free. I will probably remove my site at some point.

As EV charge site aggregators PlugShare and Recargo are standouts. There are still places you cannot reach without using a PlugShare home site or RV park.

Hello,
Lets see........ I have had 3 different leafs charge at my home EVSE................ OK I'll confess, DarkStar and 2 Leafs from Nissan were over during my OBC failure tests (6/2011). Other than that, no takers and I've been on plugshare since I got my leaf.

ranss12 said:
I've been on Plugshare for over a year now and as of today no one has stopped by for a Level 2 (or Level 1) charge. I told my wife, who was a little hesitant to list our charger on Plugshare, that I would be surprised if we got more than 1 or two visitors a year. I may have overestimated the number of potential visitors! Have any of you fellow Plugsharers had any EVers drop in for a charge, or have you ever stopped in to charge at someone else's house? Maybe a poll is in order.

I've gone out of my way to scout out the local public charge stations, but I would only stop at someone's home if it was absolutely necessary to complete my journey. I haven't found myself in that predicament yet, but I'm appreciative of you and all the other locals on PlugShare because it's reassuring knowing that I can stop if I need to. I haven't had my LEAF long, though, so maybe one of these days I'll need to take a longer trip and try charging at someone's house-- heck, I may even venture south of Rochester one of these days.

I emailed an owner about charging at their location about a week before a trip last year. No reply. So, no, I've never charged at someone's home as listed on PlugShare.

I had a Plugshare call last Thanksgiving. I was in Vermont and the LEAF was at LAX so the driveway access to the EVSE was wide open.
I said "charge as long as you need", and let the house-sitter know someone might stop by.
Worked out great, seems they were really low on charge and dropped the car off for several hours while they did the turkey thing; the caller was very appreciative.

not on plugshare because I am 5 miles from the freeway and one would pass a half dozen public chargers all with 24/7 access on the way to my house.

i also only have EVSE upgrade which means my ONLY charging option that is completely portable and its inside soooo.

but i do try to network with people in my area. they can text me to their heart's delight because if they are in the area and need a charge, they can charge with me or I am willing to taxi them from a charging spot to a local meeting or whatever and have done that once with a MiEV owner

have had one other contact but was at work so couldnt help with charging but was able to tell them about a charger near them that they did not know about but this was back when the online charging list was not as complete as it is now

we are considering putting in 240 to the post lite and listing on plug share. I have never used plug share but I have to say, all those homes listed all over the Seattle Metro area do provide peace of mind, and for that I am very grateful! thanks to everyone who participates!!

I'm not on Plugshare. Sunnyvale Nissan is about the same distance from the nearest freeway exit, so it's unlikely anyone would need it, and there are several residential chargers listed there closer than that from any direction. I did sign up on the BayLeafs private charging network back when I first got the Leaf, but no one has contacted me through that either. I did charge at another Bayleafs' member home once, though. We had arranged a joint activity in her Leaf in the East Bay so I left mine charging at her house while we took hers. I don't know if hers is now listed on Plugshare.

I have been on plugshare for 20 months, and no users as far as I know. As my Blink is on the side of my house I suppose someone could have charged without me knowing. This is unlikely as I work from home and don't travel all that much lately thanks to my infirm dog.

We've had several LEAFs, a prototype RAV4 EV, a Mini-E, and a Tesla Roadster come by our PlugShare-listed home. All but the Roadster charged here. We've had a dearth of visitors lately (though we had one recent inquiry), but that will likely change if/when Fontana Nissan installs a Quick Charger, as we're in a good location on the way to SoCal's largest mountain resort (Big Bear Lake).

While on a LEAF road trip to California's Central Coast region, we made use of one PlugShare-listed EVSE. :)

If someone in PlugShare happens to have an EVSE that's very close to a destination not served by public charging, I'd have no qualms asking to use it. If there were more PlugShare listings, perhaps that would happen more often.

We're listed as a business spot on plugshare - and still, no one. On the other hand, one time we traveled 60+ miles to an all day family event, north up to the Glendale foothills, starting from deep down in south OC. We tried to stop in L.A. to use the multiple Q.C.'s. Bad luck, NEITHER were working. We arrived with only around 10 miles left, so we called ahead to a Plugshare listed residence about 2 miles away. The guy answered his cel, from his location back on the East coast. He said, "I"m not home, but no problem! ... the nozzle is hanging alongside the garage ... help your self". Another family member drove over with me (in their own car) ... we left the Leaf at the Plugshare listed home for the next 5 hours, then after the family event ended ... back to the house to pick up the Leaf, and on home. Whew! Life saver. Left a very appreciative "THANKS!" on the plugshare comments page.

Here in Berkeley, I've had about 15 people use our 30A EVSE. We are within short walking distance of lots shopping including Berkeley Bowl, so that may have something to do with it's popularity.

-Phil

hill said:
We're listed as a business spot on plugshare - and still, no one. On the other hand, one time we traveled 60+ miles to an all day family event, north up to the Glendale foothills, starting from deep down in south OC. We tried to stop in L.A. to use the multiple Q.C.'s. Bad luck, NEITHER were working. We arrived with only around 10 miles left, so we called ahead to a Plugshare listed residence about 2 miles away. The guy answered his cel, from his location back on the East coast. He said, "I"m not home, but no problem! ... the nozzle is hanging alongside the garage ... help your self". Another family member drove over with me (in their own car) ... we left the Leaf at the Plugshare listed home for the next 5 hours, then after the family event ended ... back to the house to pick up the Leaf, and on home. Whew! Life saver. Left a very appreciative "THANKS!" on the plugshare comments page.

was this at Thanksgiving?? did you read "Sparky's" post?

I had a Plugshare call last Thanksgiving. I was in Vermont and the LEAF was at LAX so the driveway access to the EVSE was wide open.
I said "charge as long as you need", and let the house-sitter know someone might stop by.
Worked out great, seems they were really low on charge and dropped the car off for several hours while they did the turkey thing; the caller was very appreciative.

Back