EV Conversion of a 1970 Ford Bronco - resource suggestions?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCBNJB

My husband has Leaf-envy and is very interested in converting his 1970 Classic Bronco to electric. Given the impressive knowledge and expertise on this Forum, we thought we'd start here. Any suggestions for specific resources, web sites, info, contacts would be much appreciated.

The Odd Couple ;)

img2635a.jpg

Thanks,

JC

JCBNJB said:
My husband has Leaf-envy and is very interested in converting his 1970 Classic Bronco to electric. Given the impressive knowledge and expertise on this Forum, we thought we'd start here. Any suggestions for specific resources, web sites, info, contacts would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

JC
http://www.evparts.com/

http://visforvoltage.org/

http://www.electroauto.com/index.html

http://www.acpropulsion.com/

http://www.electricmotorsport.com/store/index.php

http://www.evaosc.org/

:)

AC propulsion will be too costly and I would suggest avoiding electro auto as they are as slow as heck to do anything and VERY old school. A conversion is a big project and time commitment, more so then most people EVER consider and even admit. I suggest speaking to some people who have done conversions from start to finish and ask them to be realistic about range and time, total time:). Although this is a lower weight car it is only a good candidate for a lower speed conversion. Do some searches on the EV album as I know a few of these vehicles have been done. My suggestion is to find a better candidate or wait and buy a second factory EV unless you have a bunch of EV geeks that want to give you parts and help you build a very low range EV. Doing a conversion is a great experience and helping on a project is a good way to get your feet wet. The EVDL had very knowledgable people with real experience but it has been a while since I have been on there.

I talked to a guy once who did an EV conversion. He says he will never do it again :D

Not that there is anything wrong with the end product, they simply are a major time and money sink.

JCBNJB said:

The Odd Couple ;)
Thanks,

JC

I have a 68 Bronco as well. Fantastic vehicle. I would not convert it to electric. As noted earlier, conversions take a lot of time and money. If you do it, you'll be doing it for the experience of working on your car and getting to know every nut and bolt (and wire) in the vehicle, not because you'll ever have the car "pay for itself"....it wont. I converted a vehicle 15 years ago and it was a fantastic experience. I still love to drive it. Not nearly as refined as the Leaf, but I like that I built it. If I were you and I wanted to do a conversion, I'd choose a simpler vehicle. I'd do something that has been done many times before so that you can draw on the experience of other converters. Porsche 914, Chevy S10 or some other common conversion. Ev album is a good resource to see whats been done, and there are yahoo and google groups for many of these conversions.

I agree with the comments posted earlier. The early Bronco is too heavy of a vehicle to convert with any kind of range in mind. Wilde Evolution did a conversion to a Land Rover Series II and that was a lighter truck to begin with. I have a 1977 Toyota FJ40 along with my LEAF and I just consider I save enough fuel driving the LEAF to allow me to justify the FJ40's existence. :lol:

Thanks for the great info and suggestions… I think we are a bit more reality based, given the caution indicated here (ok, and the outright "don't do it" comments!!).

Will do a little research to determine how crazy it might be.. and then may just return the Bronco to it's rightful place next to the Leaf in the garage and continue to use it as our fun "occasional use" vehicle while we await the coming of the first mass produced EV suv/minivan. ;)

JCBNJB said:
Thanks for the great info and suggestions… I think we are a bit more reality based, given the caution indicated here (ok, and the outright "don't do it" comments!!).

Will do a little research to determine how crazy it might be.. and then may just return the Bronco to it's rightful place next to the Leaf in the garage and continue to use it as our fun "occasional use" vehicle while we await the coming of the first mass produced EV suv/minivan. ;)

If the person doing the conversion is mechanically inclined, can weld, knows electronics, etc, count on 200 hours plus for your first conversion including ALL the time involved not just build time. This is for something you will consider driving and keeping and will likely be repairing and tinkering on. If you are building your own pack you will trash the first one out of experience or you can spend a small fortune on a properly built advanced pack with full BMS and an expensive charger, you will wish you bought a factory EV. Besides, the Bronco is not a good candidate for an EV as it will have VERY poor efficiency.

I wanted to do a Jeep. I thought it would make a great rock crawler. I'm in your neighborhood, so if you decide to do it, I might be able to help out.

I have welders !!!

A jeep would be fun. A friend of mechanic friend of mine has an old WWII Jeep we joked about turning into an EV. The engine needs to be completely rebuilt/replaced.

He has access to a full machine shop (he fabs random parts for his other vehicles), but i really wonder if this would be a big time sink even for a seasoned mechanic!

rainnw said:
He has access to a full machine shop (he fabs random parts for his other vehicles), but i really wonder if this would be a big time sink even for a seasoned mechanic!
My understanding is the key to doing one of these successfully is to tap into experience. Both by connecting with local folks who have experience and by collecting info from anyone you can find who has converted the same vehicle you are.

Back