EV Charging Locations links/maps

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SPI, LPI, AVC, TSL, DCQ, J1772, OC -- Are we all expected to know what all these acronyms mean?

I recognize J1772 (that's us, probably at 240v) and can guess that DCQ means DC Quick-charge (probably CHAdeMO, but square or round?). Is TSL perhaps Tesla? I guess AVC must mean Avcon, which I have seen reference to, but I don't really know what it means. Is that the old EV-1 paddle? Or are there small and large paddles, SPI and LPI? And how many of these are even usable, with available adapters, for a Leaf?

It looks like I need some more education before my Leaf arrives.

gasmiser1 said:
http://www.evchargernews.com/#regions

iPhone has a free app: ev charger finder

This may be quite useful for us when we finally get the Leaf :)

Hmm, Atlanta's down, so it looks like I'll have to schlep all the way over to Nashville to charge, 560 mi from here. Dang the extra 40 miles! :)

Yes, EVChargerNews (and EVChargerMaps) is definitely left-coast (California/Arizona) centric ... but that's because it's where the last generation of EVs roamed (EV1, RAV4, etc) based on 1990s California Air Resources Board mandate. These locations have been in use for a decade+. The website needs updating, and some of the locations are no longer in operation. Nevertheless it's a good start.

Many of the Avcons were built by the predecessor company to Clipper Creek. And now there's a project to upgrade (replace) many of the old Avcon locations to J1772-2010.

LEAFer said:
Yes, EVChargerNews (and EVChargerMaps) is definitely left-coast (California/Arizona) centric ... but that's because it's where the last generation of EVs roamed (EV1, RAV4, etc) based on 1990s California Air Resources Board mandate. These locations have been in use for a decade+. The website needs updating, and some of the locations are no longer in operation. Nevertheless it's a good start.

Many of the Avcons were built by the predecessor company to Clipper Creek. And now there's a project to upgrade (replace) many of the old Avcon locations to J1772-2010.

Exactly, and if you had an EV in CA you knew these sites well. I used three of them weekly.

I think they need to add more categories, and better descriptions would help a lot.

There is a lot of difference between a Level 1 and a Level 2 (J1772, new style) EVSE.

"Other Conductive" includes 120v and 240v, with 15A to 50A circuits? Better descriptions are needed, including the socket type.

The three at the Ontario International Airport (Ontario, CA) are unpowered, with no apparent, unkocked way to turn them on.

The EVCN (N=News) site includes more detailed descriptions. Here's an example for Diamond Bar:

EVCM (M=Maps): http://www.evchargermaps.com/?SiteID=91765_1&Want=SPI%20LPI%20AVC%20OC&Zoom=12

It lists
6 SPI, 4 Avcon, 14 Other.
The details are here: http://www.evchargernews.com/regions/91765_1.htm
6 - Small paddle
4 - Avcon
14 - Other
Other types: 14x5-20 110v & 14x14-30 208/240v.
It's also an example where the "14-30" (meaning NEMA14-30, or new dryer type outlets with 30A breakers) is in error, or at least there are also 14-50s there (RV or Oven 50A types), as reported by some users via EVCM.

And Level 1 EVSE's would not be separately listed. If J1772 is listed it would be Level 2 with a 208 or 240 voltage shown in the details. In order to use Level 1 J1772 EVSE you'd just plug into a 5-15 or 5-20 (NEMA 5-xx, being regular household outlets with 15 or 20A breakers).

Don't forget to get a ZEV parking sticker when using these chargers to avoid getting towed:

http://www.evchargernews.com/miscfiles/evparkinglaw.htm

Now with all the EVs about to be on the road in the next few years they may start enforcing this.

Most charging spaces are not marked for ZEV use, but just for EV Charging.
ZEV would not allow the Volt.

1. If the space is marked for EV/ZEV AND Handicapped use,
does one need to be Handicapped AND park/charge an EV?

2. If an EV/ZEV is parked, but NOT charging, is that OK use of the space?

gasmiser1 said:
http://www.evchargernews.com/#regions

iPhone has a free app: ev charger finder

This may be quite useful for us when we finally get the LEAF :)

Maybe more useful after your CarWings subscription runs out. ;)

Does anyone know if there is a thread discussing conversion of avcon and/or other charging standards to J1772?

Does anyone know about the overall accuracy of that map? I was clicking around some of the locations near me. For three of them, I know for certain the EV charging has either been disabled or actually removed. The good news is that presumably this new generation of chargers could be quickly installed in there place to the existing wiring.

I do see there are user comments on the right, if you click on a flag. Many of the user report indicate the charger is broken.

smkettner said:
Do any of the aftermarket navigation such as Garmin have EV charge points listed?

You mean in 3 years time ? Who knows ...

BTW, here is a place where you could get collaborated POI data .... so, even if Garmin doesn't have - one could be created if there is enough demand.

http://poidirectory.com/forum/garmin.html

LEAFer said:
< cut >

the Nissan LEAF.

@LEAFer:
Can you describe more about the "project" to upgrade the old AVCON location to J1772?
Where can you read more about these projects and their status?

There is currently an AVCON charger very close to my residence and I plan to use it. Trouble is, I don't know if this is being targeted for upgrade.

And, what is the best L2 charger to get that is also compatible with AVCON. Does such a device exist? I recall reading/participating in a older thread about an AVCON adapter to J1772.... Not sure if this still is the only method to charge a Nissan LEAF with the old AVCON charging stations.

Thx

@mxp: Here's a link to one of the news stories: http://evconnect.com/newsdetail.php?newsID=24

I don't have more specific station-by-station info myself. You could try to get hold of Clipper Creek and ask direct.

Another method would be to jump over to EVChargerNews.com, select the station near your residence via the "add a comment"/"EVChargerMap" link. There add a comment suggesting the particular station for priority upgrade as part of the project.

On EVChargerNews.com you can find instructions to add yourself to the mailing list so that you automatically receive such comments made to the mapping site, all consolidated in one daily email. Part of those instructions also give an email address (info@...) which is another way of asking about "your" nearby station. (Don't know what their response time might be.)

Unless you are located in a low-traffic area whereby new J1772 stations will not be installed near you, and that Avcon station near your residence is your only choice ... then at this stage of the game I don't suggest investing in an Avcon-to-J1772 converter. It's an expense for an item that will be short lived.

If you are not going to install a Level 2 EVSE at home (or are unable for some reason), even though Level 1 (120V) is slow, it might be more convenient to charge at home at half the speed than a nearby Avcon with converter, but with more inconvenience.

If you tell us more about your particular situation ... we on this forum can give you more help/suggestions. :)

Hope this helps ...

LEAFer said:
@mxp: Here's a link to one of the news stories: http://evconnect.com/newsdetail.php?newsID=24

I don't have more specific station-by-station info myself. You could try to get hold of Clipper Creek and ask direct.

< cut >
Hi LEAFer,

Many thanks for the links and suggestions. I have signed up on the evchargernews website, and tomorrow, I will try and contact Clipper Creek about the Costco upgrades. Hopefully, someone there might know more...

Incidently, suppose I go the route of obtaining the Tesla EVSE (??), will I be able to use the existing AVCON charging system to charge a LEAF? What else do I need to get... presumably a adapter cable for J1772?

Thanks.

Back