EV Charging at Military Bases

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebill3

JBLM (Joint Base Lewis McChord)(former McChord AFB and Fort Lewis) is a huge military installation vicinity Tacoma WA. I thought it would be great if the installation could provide charging stations at the Exchanges, Commissaries, Theaters, and the like. Not gonna happen. Following is a response to my suggestion:

Mr. (Me),

You submitted a comment through the JBLM ICE system in reference to charging stations for plug in electric vehicles.

Plug in electric vehicles are indeed here, and JBLM has four of these vehicles (three GM Volts and one Nissan Leaf) on lease through GSA. To meet the power requirements for these vehicles, charging stations have been installed at their primary “garage” sites; two at the Directorate of Public Works and two at the Directorate of Logistics.

These charging stations are specifically for the use of government vehicles only. It is unfortunate that we are not able to provide a means for privately owned PHEVs to plug in while on JBLM. Our Staff Judge Advocate Office (lawyers) has advised that government paid resources (such as electricity for vehicle fuel) cannot be provided for free for personal use.

Perhaps in the future, a means of providing this service will be developed (charging meters and policy/law change) to encourage the use of PHEVs by the public both on the installation and in the community.

Ms. (Name deleted)
Pollution Prevention Program Manager/
Installation Sustainability Coordinator
Environmental Division, Public Works
Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA

Guess I'll try the Army and Air Force Exchange system. They operate with non-appropriated funds.

Maybe suggest one of the ChargePoint units so folks can pay for the electrons?

Thanks for doing this! Good luck!

2 things, the going to the exchange management is a good idea and suggesting the chargepoint folks, they can either have them installed so that the POV owners pay for the charge or could even offer the charge for free, with the exchange absorbing the extra cost as a marketing expense.

the second thing is to go to your congressional representative (and also the one that represents the district in which the base is in). The reason why the JAG couldn't legally do this is that there is no law allowing the base to do this. A congressman or senator could introduce such a law. Just a thought.

I received basically the same response to my query regarding Coast Guard bases... They won't even allow the use of an outlet for charging...

ebill3 said:
These charging stations are specifically for the use of government vehicles only. It is unfortunate that we are not able to provide a means for privately owned PHEVs to plug in while on JBLM. Our Staff Judge Advocate Office (lawyers) has advised that government paid resources (such as electricity for vehicle fuel) cannot be provided for free for personal use.

Back when I lived on post in family housing, utilities were provided at no cost. Assuming it is now the same, I suspect some military folk are home charging at no cost. Fine with me.

Yes, I think the Exchange route is the way to go. Their purpose is to provide a service for military personnel and to generate profits for use in morale and welfare activities. Letter to the Exchange Service headquarters on the way.

Well, I finally received a response to my letter to the Army and Air Force Exchnge System (Army PX, Air Force BX).

They are studying all alternative fuels, including EV charging stations. One of the problems is that military bases apparently are under a mandate to strictly control electrical usage and charging stations must be factored into the overall base electrical pan. Also, if they sell electricity, it must be sold as a comodity, which will increase the price.

I don't quite understand that last statement, but in any event it looks like charging at a military base will be a long time in coming.

This is where the President should step in and make it happen. At least to use existing infrastructure.
We need a real leader in the White House.

smkettner said:
This is where the President should step in and make it happen. At least to use existing infrastructure.

You mean the $100 million to Ecotality from three years ago wasn't enough ? Or the $1.9 billion to Nissan? Couple hundred million to Tesla? Yep, nothing done.

smkettner said:
The President can't override acts of Congress. But to whatever extent he can enable charging on military bases and indeed on other federal properties, he should do so. And for the rest he should work with a few representatives to draft a bill to fully enable charging. After all, when the federal government has a goal to put a million EV's on the road it should be leading the infrastructure, not following far behind. And for military bases in particular, those men and women put their lives on the line to defend us, and to defend our access to foreign oil which our economy desperately needs since we don't have a million EV's on the road. Providing them and civilian support employees with car charging is the least we can do.

smkettner said:
Yeah, because if he can't get charging for your EV at military bases he must be a real loser. :roll:

Contrary to political rhetoric, military bases and the rest of the Federal government are normally the FIRST adopters of alternate fuels - precisely because they are under Federal control. For example - there have been CNG and biodiesel vehicles running around military bases for years. The Federal government does put their 'money where their mouth is' when it comes to promoting alternatives.

But they cannot extend that mandate to private citizens for a number of reasons. And that means that even when I was in uniform, I couldn't purchase biodiesel blends from the motorpool. Because the fuel isn't 'sold' to military vehicles (it's figured into the annual budget process), there's nothing built into the system to 'sell' it to anyone. (Think of an apartment complex where electricity and water is 'free' to all tenants.) To dispense fuel into my private vehicle is theft, or at least falls under 'fraud, waste, or abuse' - a Federal offense either way. And yes - that's a good thing from a budgetary and integrity point of view.

No change on a military base happens quickly. The power requirement for an EVSE must be reviewed, infrastructure evaluated, a price assigned to required upgrades, and the upgrade money put into the next year's budget process. If money is tight, something else must be cut from the budget to make the EVSE happen. It could take 1-2 years even if all goes smoothly.

It doesn't matter who's in the Oval Office.

There is a Chargepoint at the VA in La Jolla (San Diego) for a GSA owned Volt.

The Chargepoint was "open to the public" for about 3 months - even though the Volt was always parked in the one spot the cord would reach. Now, there is a sign that says "not for public use."

Sounds like the federal government is indeed moving towards alternative fuel sources - they just are not using Federal sites to push for public charging infrastructure.

TomT said:
I received basically the same response to my query regarding Coast Guard bases... They won't even allow the use of an outlet for charging...

ebill3 said:

Thats dumb! Im at a Military/Governemnt Installation in the DC area, and i plug in 120V here in our parking garage. If they ever come back and say anything (my wires are neatly along the wall and is by no means ANY hazard) That my trickle charge during the day for 7-8hrs at (high rate for this area) .12kWh = $1.63 (1.7kWh x 8hrs = 13.6kWh x.12 = $1.63 at most) When my 4 computers, and personal desk fan from home burns more than that in 30mins they have nothing to fight against. Im even going to suggest for the few EV owners we have (few VOLTS and my Leaf) to have 2 dedicated spots where we could eventually get a L2 charger supplied by the ECOtality program or at the endofyear budget spend down.

We waste 5,000 for a stinkin POS computer, but we cant spend $2000 on a piece of equipment which will benefit the government personnel and push alternate transportation/fuel methods?

This country definately does not have any priorities in line (as we know)

mazdaboi said:
Thats dumb! Im at a Military/Governemnt Installation in the DC area, and i plug in 120V here in our parking garage.
Sorry boi - what you're describing is called theft. Aside from the basic integrity issue, do you really want to give the appearance that EVers are a group not happy with taxpayer rebates, but have to steal taxpayer-provided electricity to boot?

Not a good way to make friends and/or influence people...

AndyH said:
mazdaboi said:
Thats dumb! Im at a Military/Governemnt Installation in the DC area, and i plug in 120V here in our parking garage.
Sorry boi - what you're describing is called theft. Aside from the basic integrity issue, do you really want to give the appearance that EVers are a group not happy with taxpayer rebates, but have to steal taxpayer-provided electricity to boot?

Not a good way to make friends and/or influence people...

No you may of gotten the wrong impression my friend. I being a government employee support the government and their efforts to search for alternative energy sources and renewable energy. There are specific DOE funded programs which re-emburse facilities who allow employees to charge while at work. Specifically the US Naval Academy has a full site which has implemented a $5 month paid usage for EV charging both bikes and cars. (WHICH IS AWESOME) they adopted the program when people were riding electric bikes to work and needed a charge. There are many installations which do not know or are educated on the Department of Energy's standing on pushing more Electric Vehicles and their low cost of usage. I am looking to push the same policy and guidance the Navy put forward on their installation, on the compound I'm working at as well as others in the area. There are plenty of non used Coffee Pots, Fridges, and fans on peoples desks, individuals charging media devices and phones, even bringing in their own laptops or tablets (they are plugged into the wall....are they not?!?) but never been policed until now. Since its a car, its automatically stealing?! Depending on which way you look at it, I can side with you there. Simply my installment does not have the knowledge yet (which is why i replied in the first place, and why I'm searching for all the answers) or knows how to handle such a request. By no means am I objecting to the $5 month charging plan which can help fund MWR or other programs within the facility. (or repay back the EVSE if they choose to purchase it).

It's a new technology, the education and awareness is just now coming to light, and thats why we are talking about this.

Not here to burn bridges, destroy the EV friendship world, etc. Just simple conversation.

On a side note, since this is all so new; I was asked today why I was plugged in, and they had no idea what it was doing. We proceeded to unplug my car and let me provide them information on how the charging works, usage and if any other facilities are in use for this purpose. Long story short, it doesn't seem like everyone is using the full benefit of the EV. Thats fine, because myself and the other EV'rs (4 Volts) will get together and come up with a similar policy to push the adoption and acceptance that some of us DONT use gas for commuting. No big deal i said, and this weekend will be a long process of research, analysis and producing a report.

Appologize to anyone who might of been offended, or turned away from the accusation of Theft, but if you think that way, remember dont bring home that notebook, pen or copy a paper at work for personal use. That can be considered as Theft as well :roll:

:geek:

I do understand what you're saying here - I was in uniform for a bit over 21 years and was involved in a number of division-level budget decisions/horror-fests before I retired.

While I can understand that some installations have a $5 electricity buy-in process, it's clear that your current parking lot does not.

Yes, sometimes people can justify it being easier to ask forgiveness rather than seek permission, while others realize that locks only keep honest people away. I never liked risking my career for petty theft (and my house doesn't contain any 'Skillcraft' pens). YMMV.

Andy, Thank you for your service.

Its not asking for forgiveness, in my case I had spoke with an individual when I started using the outlets, Other EV owners did not even look to use them, as most of the 120v outlets are OOC (typical). They said OK when I first asked about the outlets, so did the security personnel. But like I stated before, I'm not trying to steal, not trying to borrow, Just looking to get the information (as i have been for the past week) gathered up and submitted to push for specific EV charging spots. Its unfortunate in this case another individual (most likely) blew a cork and said a car plugged into the wall did not look right in this case and proposed the question. AS I'm glad it DID come to light and their awareness as this issue will keep coming up as more Volts, Leafs and other EV's are on the roads. I have found DOD(navy) and DOE articles pushing for alternative fuel solutions, trying to drive the program forward but no one has made policy to rectify or adopt its use...in most cases. The information is out there, just takes time for me to get confirmation and produce a report. The building im in said they would approve it, they just need proof first (so they can fall back on something) Paying to charge will be the answer because that is what my current findings are showing.

Again, no petty theft here, not asking for forgiveness as I was wrongly informed from the get go with being allowed to use the 120v in the parking garage. No Skillcraft junk pens here either. I think we both made our points. Time for us to move on and if there is a resolution, and/or if an outcome comes about this, i will gladly share.

We have quite a few hydropower facilities on the Columbia River. I know that at one of them there are attempts to install a L2 EVSE at the Visitor center. I am wondering if that is ever going to happen.

The electricity is produced there so the goverment does not pay for it, but there is still a cost with maintaining the almost 2000000 Kw installation and the 7.4kW drawn by the EVSE will need to be factor in. Some birocrat will spend a couple years working on the issue. Its pay alone would pay for EVSE continious operation for about 40 years or 2.5 GWh (at $0.04/kWh as they say).

Maybe if they work on a QCDC in the same time ....

mazdaboi said:
Its not asking for forgiveness, in my case I had spoke with an individual when I started using the outlets, Other EV owners did not even look to use them, as most of the 120v outlets are OOC (typical).
No worries - sounds like you're working the system. What came to mind first thing for me was the cocked eyebrow of the fire inspector while (s)he and the building manager did their quarterly walk-through. I haven't met a single one that had much of a sense of humor. ;)

Good luck!

Back