Electric Smart Car - CNET Review

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the uninformed regen comment about perpetual motion, he is wrong on both counts.

What about the incentives not counting for leases? I'm leasing my LEAF and I received the $7,500 fed tax credit and a $5k CA grant.

EVDRIVER said:
I like the uninformed regen comment about perpetual motion, he is wrong on both counts.
That's actually not what he says: "This car can regen to a maximum strength of 10kw but can power itself to 30. Obviously regen is not equal to its ability to re-power itself, that would be almost a perpetual motion machine."

He did mis-state the facts with regard to credits vs. leasing, however. Overall, I agree with BC3, sure makes the LEAF look good by comparison.

BC3 said:
What about the incentives not counting for leases? I'm leasing my LEAF and I received the $7,500 fed tax credit and a $5k CA grant.
Well, we only "get" the fed credit on our lease because Nissan takes it and credits it to us before calculating the lease. If Smart doesn't do that (or did and it just doesn't show in the ridiculous $600 lease price) most people wouldn't really "feel" the tax credit. As far as the CA rebate goes, it's a generic review and there probably ARE incentives out there it wouldn't qualify for.

Seems the Smart ED is CVRP eligible for $4,000 as long as the lease is a full three years from what I understand. Since it is offered for lease only and you can't buy it is up to Smart how to handle any Federal incentives on the vehicle since it goes to them. I don't think one has the option to buy at the end of these leases on this version of the vehicle either. Do we even know what length lease they will offer?

Never mind, according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_electric_drive:
A total of 250 units are available for leasing at a price of US$599 per month for a period of 48 months and 60,000 kilometres (37,282 mi), plus US$2,500 due at signing.

Back