Efficiency of Leaf at Bike speed (~10 mph)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
theaveng said:
I think this is a better chart, though it does have some flaws. For example it says a passenger train gets 70 p-mpg but Amtrak & the government's official figures are only 30 (because the trains are often half empty): http://truecostblog.com/2010/05/27/fuel-efficiency-modes-of-transportation-ranked-by-mpg/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EatsShootsandLeafs said:
AFAIK a gas car is most efficiently around 30 mph, but perhaps that's old data.
A gas or diesel car is most efficient in its top gear, and most top gears are unusable below 40 or 45, so that would be the most efficient point. I drove a Ford Fiesta last week and it got okay mileage at 30 and 5th gear, but the best mileage was at 40 and 6th gear (>60 MPG).

Yeah, my very first Efficiency Rally (42 miles) was with a 1980.VW Rabbit Diesel that got 55mpg hwy. At that time, I didn't know that 5th at 40mph would be best and drove in 4th at 35 which gave me 82mpg. I wonder what I could have gotten in 5th at 40?

It might not have been as much difference as you think... Diesels are not subject to pumping losses like gasoline engines and thus the difference would be smaller than for a gas vehicle.

LEAFfan said:
Yeah, my very first Efficiency Rally (42 miles) was with a 1980.VW Rabbit Diesel that got 55mpg hwy. At that time, I didn't know that 5th at 40mph would be best and drove in 4th at 35 which gave me 82mpg. I wonder what I could have gotten in 5th at 40?

theaveng said:
So if there a test track near L.A. that I can run a Leaf at 15mph & see the resulting range?

At that speed, I was at 9.1 after 15 miles so if you X by 21kW h (good BP) you should be able to go at least 191 miles. If you went just a little slower, probably at least 200 miles.

So does everyone still concur that 12 is the Leaf's most efficient speed?

It appears that the Toyota Prius is most efficient at 20:

calculated_MPG_Rev_B.jpg

theaveng said:
So does everyone still concur that 12 is the Leaf's most efficient speed?

I'm not sure, but I do know that at 15mph for one hour in a loop, I obtained 9.1m/kW h, but at around 25mph for about ten hours/188 miles, I only got 8.5m/kW h.

This is a great post and it got the gears turning. I get my leaf in the next month or so and I was thinking whether I will be able to use it in the following way. I am on the executive for a cycling club and we put a road race on every year. The last couple years I acted as a marshal in the races driving my car. I did about 220km driving the course last year with the racers and I was usually going a steady 30-40km/h. The race course is almost flat with some rollers. Total elevation gain is only 30m.

The only real opportunity I will have to charge is right after I get there and at the end of the races and only at L1. I will probably be there 1 hour before the races start and a couple hours after. Round trip to and from the course is 34km which I can do on back roads or highway. Time of year will mean I don't have to use the climate control at all.

Do you think this would be doable in a leaf? I think it would be good press for the club to do it in an all electric vehicle plus it will be fun to try.

You should try it, if you don't make it you can still use one of the 7 free tows to a Nissan Dedalership to charge.

Back