Dual EVSE Install - Blink Success Story

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
avilent said:
The interesting thing is that the arrival of the chargers prompted many other residents in the condo to ask what steps they need to take to get an EV and an EVSE...
As a fellow Bay Arean, may I ask what in which city/county/areacode/zipcode/whateveryou'rewillingtoshare you live? I'm assuming you're happy with the work and would refer EVIS/Whiteaker for other nearby installs. Perhaps you'd like to join BayLeafs and come to our next meeting this coming Saturday. (PM me for details.)

Great job!

Glenn

Glenn said:
avilent said:
The interesting thing is that the arrival of the chargers prompted many other residents in the condo to ask what steps they need to take to get an EV and an EVSE...
As a fellow Bay Arean, may I ask what in which city/county/areacode/zipcode/whateveryou'rewillingtoshare you live? I'm assuming you're happy with the work and would refer EVIS/Whiteaker for other nearby installs. Perhaps you'd like to join BayLeafs and come to our next meeting this coming Saturday. (PM me for details.)

Great job!

Glenn

Hi Glen,

I'm in Burlingame, San Mateo Co., 94010. I'll invite Robert to the BayLeaf meet next weekend.

Cheers

Francois

Spies said:
I am curious about your metering as well. Did you get a separate meter for just the EVSE? What power provider are you with?

Hi Spies,

We bought a TED meter about 2 months ago and monitored our energy usage to determine when during the day/week we consume energy. Based on the findings we determined that the PG&E E9A (single meter - TOU) rate would actually lower our electricity costs. So we arranged for a single meter to feed the condo and the EVSE. This made the installation more challenging because it meant that the power feed between the electrical room where all meters are located and my unit on the third floor needed to be intercepted and a new panel inserted at the intercept point. The power wires between the meter and the new panel also needed to be changed to a bigger 125A rated cable. Robert and his team located the ideal location for the intercept and installed the new panel with provisions for other residents to do the same if/when they buy EVs.

The new wiring looks like this....

smkettner said:
Does the meter have a main breaker right at the meter? Or was the main breaker in the condo?

There are breakers at the meter (was 100A - now upgraded to 125A), in the new panel (125A) and in my condo's subpanel (100A).

avilent said:
smkettner said:
Does the meter have a main breaker right at the meter? Or was the main breaker in the condo?

There are breakers at the meter (was 100A - now upgraded to 125A), in the new panel (125A) and in my condo's subpanel (100A).

I have similar set up at some apartments each on a 40a circuit. Electrician just popped in a double 40a/30a breaker at the meter when adding a 30a circuit for central air conditioners installed. Might save adding the additional full panel in a few cases.

Really cool install! I would call this an install success story, not necessary a "Blink Success Story". If you put two AV's or two CC's I think it would have the same "coolness" factor.

Has anyone actually charged from the Blink? Has it crashed on them? I would call this a success until the EVSEs are proven reliable.

syntaxerror said:
Really cool install! I would call this an install success story, not necessary a "Blink Success Story". If you put two AV's or two CC's I think it would have the same "coolness" factor.

Has anyone actually charged from the Blink? Has it crashed on them? I would call this a success until the EVSEs are proven reliable.

No real charge have been performed, but both EVSEs performed a virtual charge using the special tester developed by Ecotality and provided to the installer. This device (size of a suitcase) simulates a charge load and allows to simulate various types of errors and problems. I'll post information on actual charging once we take delivery of the Leafs and perform real charging.

avilent said:
No real charge have been performed, but both EVSEs performed a virtual charge using the special tester developed by Ecotality and provided to the installer. This device (size of a suitcase) simulates a charge load and allows to simulate various types of errors and problems. I'll post information on actual charging once we take delivery of the Leafs and perform real charging.

My Blink passed all the CIB (Car In a Box) testing with the faults, etc., as well. But in reality, operation with an actual Leaf can be somewhat different.

My fingers are crossed that you have 2 Blinks that work just fine. ;)

Spies said:
IBELEAF said:
So BLink is pluggable into special outlet? With AV unit it is wired directly.
The Blink can be ordered with a standard NEMA 6-50 plug and used with a standard NEMA 6-50 receptacle. Mine was ordered and setup this way. The inspector for my town even prefers this method since the plug itself can be used as the service disconnect :)

Just checked with my installer and he said they are installing NEMA 6-50 plug and receptacle by default.

avilent said:
Fabio said:
how do you get network connectivity to the garage?
The entire building has internet shared between all residents. We have several wifi repeaters through out the building and the coverage is actually quite good in the garage. The Blinks picked up the wifi signal immediately and were able to upload new firmware versions.

I noticed that the Blink's setup menu initially didn't have all options (i.e. no setup rates, no setup PIN#), but those menus appeared on day 2 once the new FW was uploaded.
Does you happen to know if the Blink supports WPA-personal?

Back