newbie to this website, EV and to Leaf, a couple of questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
XLH said:

The day I brought my 2022 SL Plus home a couple of weeks ago, I had exactly the same problem. I had this NSF-type shelf and with a couple of zipties it is working like it was a custom installation! :D

This is a great idea! Thanks. I will try this out. Thanks for posting your photo of your setup.

Thanks,
--jan

goldbrick said:
Or use the holder that comes with the EVSE to attach it to the wall.

An excellent option for all but us renters who try to drill as few holes in walls as possible... or say goodbye to our security deposits. :D

XLH said:

The day I brought my 2022 SL Plus home a couple of weeks ago, I had exactly the same problem. I had this NSF-type shelf and with a couple of zipties it is working like it was a custom installation! :D

The short extension cord defeats the thermocouple in the EVSE plug that detects if your outlet is overheating (e.g., because it is poorly wired or the internal connections are worn). You might want to eliminate it.

jlv said:
The short extension cord defeats the thermocouple in the EVSE plug that detects if your outlet is overheating (e.g., because it is poorly wired or the internal connections are worn). You might want to eliminate it.

Thanks for the suggestion but it runs counter to this advice:

alozzy said:
If it was me, I would place the EVSE (charger) on top of the short concrete wall and use a 2' or 3' 12 GA extension cord up to the 120V receptacle. Something like this:
https://amzn.to/3ISgfJD

Latest development: Home Depot $10 100% rubber stair tread placed upside down, perfect fit!

I agree with jlv. If the outlet or the end of the yellow cord overheats, there's nothing to detect that and cut power. You could have outlet melting or an outlet fire.

cwerdna said:
I agree with jlv. If the outlet or the end of the yellow cord overheats, there's nothing to detect that and cut power. You could have outlet melting or an outlet fire.

That is definitely a concern but I don't have any other way of attaching the plug to the socket without it drooping, so we may be stuck.

It's only a concern if the outlet might be old/worn or poorly wired, and the continuous load of charging a car could cause it to overheat.

The owner's manual for the car says to not use an extension cord for the EVSE for this reason, since it defeats the thermal check.

Lots of people have ignored the manual and used extensions without causing a fire. But you might want to check the outlet.

XLH said:
Thanks for the suggestion but it runs counter to this advice:
You can follow the owner's manual or the advice given on the Internet.

XLH said:
cwerdna said:

That is definitely a concern but I don't have any other way of attaching the plug to the socket without it drooping, so we may be stuck.

I would strongly suggest replacing the outlet if it is unable to hold the plug in it, that is a safety hazard, and it does NOT cost very much to replace the outlet, I would suggest using a Isolated ground outlet like what is pictured below, extension cords while useable are not a good idea especially when your charger can pull a solid 12A from the wall. I replaced the outlet that I plan to use as the dedicated charging outlet until I can get a dedicated L2 charger system in which case I will upgrade the outlet to the correct connector style when I need it. Remember safety first when dealing with electrical in any way shape or form.

49YZ10_1

https://www.grainger.com/product/BRYANT-Receptacle-20-A-Amps-Plugs-49YZ10 (image from this site)

I agree a high quality 'spec grade' receptacle is a good idea but unless the wiring behind the wall is updated an isolated ground receptacle isn't going to add anything. There are almost certainly only 3 wires to the receptacle box so there is no way to add an isolated ground.

There is no need nor benefit to an isolated ground receptacle for EV charging. Personally, I think the little table to support the EVSE is a great idea and there is really no need for the rubber mat. I would eliminate the extension cord by attaching the EVSE to the top shelf of the table vertically and adjusting the height of the top shelf so that the plug of the EVSE lines up with the receptacle. This would be like using the mounting bracket of the EVSE without drilling holes in the wall. You could even mount the bracket to the table and put the EVSE in the bracket.

GerryAZ said:
There is no need nor benefit to an isolated ground receptacle for EV charging. Personally, I think the little table to support the EVSE is a great idea and there is really no need for the rubber mat. I would eliminate the extension cord by attaching the EVSE to the top shelf of the table vertically and adjusting the height of the top shelf so that the plug of the EVSE lines up with the receptacle. This would be like using the mounting bracket of the EVSE without drilling holes in the wall. You could even mount the bracket to the table and put the EVSE in the bracket.

Thanks GerryAZ!

Back