Driving over electric fence

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkelledy

I have an electric fence for my dog and the wire is buried in the lawn, but exposed crossing over my driveway. I've noticed that there is a strange, static noise when I drive my Leaf over the line. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

It's not really an electric fence, but a low power RF emitter that triggers an electric shock collar your dog wears. RF can easily get picked up by the car stereo. One common example is putting a cell phone next to your stereo. You'll often get little bursts of static gibberish when the phone is communicating with the cell network. It doesn't happen for all phones and all stereos, but certain combinations for sure.

GeekEV said:
It's not really an electric fence, but a low power RF emitter that triggers an electric shock collar your dog wears. RF can easily get picked up by the car stereo. One common example is putting a cell phone next to your stereo. You'll often get little bursts of static gibberish when the phone is communicating with the cell network. It doesn't happen for all phones and all stereos, but certain combinations for sure.

I've actually heard the bursts of static gibberish when CarWings is communicating with the network.

It's GSM 'chatter' for the phone/speaker issue. CDMA doesn't do that (Verizon non LTE, Sprint non LTE) as they don't use GSM technology but other carriers like AT&T (which is inside the car) and Tmobile use GSM.

wsbsteven said:
It's GSM 'chatter' for the phone/speaker issue. CDMA doesn't do that (Verizon non LTE, Sprint non LTE) as they don't use GSM technology but other carriers like AT&T (which is inside the car) and Tmobile use GSM.

iDEN also.
Caused someone on a bus to smash their discman because of the static he was hearing.

Back