Driver's map light always on (dimly!) and no fast charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leafy2020

Hi all, my 2016 Gen 1 Leaf (30kWh Tekna) seems to have developed a few quirks in the last week or so. Both minor, but irritating and certainly enough to make me worry that it's going to require a trip to the dealership to resolve. Thank you in advance if anyone can advise!

So, I'm pretty sure I know how to turn the interior lights on/off... but the driver's side map light is always on when the Leaf is being used, albeit quite dimly. If you turn the map light on, it becomes much brighter (as normal), and turning it off simply causes it to become dim. It stays when the Leaf is switched off/locked, and will turn off after about 10 mins.

Would be grateful if anyone has any suggestions!

Perhaps related, I've tried at a few different rapid (CHAdeMO) chargers in the last week - none will connect to/acknowledge the Leaf any more? The normal 3/6kW charger works fine, and there are no warnings etc.

I've fitted a new 12v battery to see if it would help, but no change to the symptoms above.

There is a dim safety light that lets you see interior controls while driving. It's a pinhole-sized light near the map light, but separate. Are you sure that you aren't seeing that?

LeftieBiker said:
There is a dim safety light that lets you see interior controls while driving. It's a pinhole-sized light near the map light, but separate. Are you sure that you aren't seeing that?

Hi, thank you for getting back so quickly. I know the one you mean, and it's not that (although that is on too, which is normal). It' the small lens shaped light on the Driver side only

Thanks again

If the CHADEMO charging is no longer working, there should be diagnostic codes...

Post a Leafspy screenshot of the DTCs.

Interior lights aren't on a simple switch; they're controlled by the BCM. That's why there's a dimming sequence. Yours doesn't seem to be terminating normally. Given the other issue it's possible there's a common cause with something generating CAN bus errors

A shot in the dark, but have the map light bulbs been replaced at any time, perhaps with LED replacement bulbs?

The map lights, though, do use a mechanical switch - a push-in, push-out type, IIRC. It could be the BCM, it could be voltage leaking through the switch.

LeftieBiker said:
The map lights, though, do use a mechanical switch - a push-in, push-out type, IIRC. It could be the BCM, it could be voltage leaking through the switch.

Yeah I worded that poorly. It's not "just" on a simple switch... ;) But you're right, off should be off so your soft-short makes more sense. Probably a problem with the lamp assembly. I'd pull it and inspect the circuit board; maybe hit it with contact cleaner.

All, thank you for the replies - appreciate it. The car itself isn't throwing back any warning lights, and unfortunately my OBDII reader doesn't seem to be compatible with my phone any more, so can't do a scan or leafspy until new reader arrives...

I went for a drive yesterday and the light was off. Started up again and it was back on. I'll try and get into the housing and see what condition the connections are in. I bought it from Nissan at 2 years old - the lights look like factory LEDs, so will be surprised if they've been changed/tampered with.

Am I right in thinking that if it's a bad connection to the LED causing it to stay on (dimly) that this might create enough of a small current draw to cause the Leaf to not communicate with the CHAdeMO charger?

Poor connections usually result in less lighting, not more. Unless the light is dimmer than its mate when On, I don't think it's a bad connection - unless it's connected improperly. I'm guessing that the switch assembly is connected properly but is defective.

leafy2020 said:
All, thank you for the replies - appreciate it. The car itself isn't throwing back any warning lights, and unfortunately my OBDII reader doesn't seem to be compatible with my phone any more, so can't do a scan or leafspy until new reader arrives...

I went for a drive yesterday and the light was off. Started up again and it was back on. I'll try and get into the housing and see what condition the connections are in. I bought it from Nissan at 2 years old - the lights look like factory LEDs, so will be surprised if they've been changed/tampered with.

Am I right in thinking that if it's a bad connection to the LED causing it to stay on (dimly) that this might create enough of a small current draw to cause the Leaf to not communicate with the CHAdeMO charger?

Not certain but from looking at the service manual diagram it seems like the "power switch" is used to send a signal to the BCM rather than to interrupt current. If that's the case I still think the CAN bus could be a commonality. But I'm not sure if this also applies to the push-switches on the map light.

The overhead light switch lever has 3 positions, ON, OFF and "DOOR". Have you tried all the settings for that switch?

BNDwmHX.jpg

Back