Does it make sense to add genset to Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Interleaf

Is there anyway to defeat the interlocking mechanism of the Leaf so it can be driven while a genset is charging through the L1 or L2 ports?

How about direct access to the battery DC terminals. Surely Nissan hasn't planned to defeat that? What is the voltage anyways? :D

Assuming you could even GET it to work, which is unlikely since Nissan has likely highly interlocked against such a thing, you would require one big ass generator to make it of any real value. Just to break even you would need about 15Kw. Frankly, you'd be better off buying a Volt.

Interleaf said:
Is there anyway to defeat the interlocking mechanism of the Leaf so it can be driven while a genset is charging through the L1 or L2 ports?

How about direct access to the battery DC terminals. Surely Nissan hasn't planned to defeat that? What is the voltage anyways? :D

smkettner said:
I think you are looking for a Volt

This. For steady highway driving you should need "only" ~16kW (~22HP) which is a pretty big generator. Plus, a proper automotive engine would have pollution controls galore on it - a gen set would have nothing but a tin-can muffler, thus completely defeating the purpose of driving an EV.
=Smidge=

mogur said:
Frankly, you'd be better off buying a Volt.
smkettner said:

Why would I want to carry a genset when I don't need it, like the Volt?

I would need the genset only for occasional LD driving. Probably once a vacation.

Otherwise there should be no point in taking extra heavy loads.

It really is academic as what you wish to do is not possible, at least not with the Leaf

Interleaf said:
mogur said:
smkettner said:

I would need the genset only for occasional LD driving. Probably once a vacation.

Interleaf said:

There was some discussion about Nissan offering a free or discounted rental car once a year for Leaf owners who wanted to go on a driving vacation and had no alternative to the Leaf in the garage. Not sure what the status of that effort is, but that sounds like it might meet your needs and be much less expensive then buying a generator and a trailer and a tow hitch.

LakeLeaf said:
Interleaf said:

There was some discussion about Nissan offering a free or discounted rental car once a year for Leaf owners who wanted to go on a driving vacation and had no alternative to the Leaf in the garage. Not sure what the status of that effort is, but that sounds like it might meet your needs and be much less expensive then buying a generator and a trailer and a tow hitch.

And at least 60 hours in labor, planning and making it work safely and properly. Until it is a factory option, doing this makes no sense and one is far better off renting a car.

mogur said:
It really is academic as what you wish to do is not possible, at least not with the Leaf.

Nothing at this level is impossible with a bunch of smart engineers with B.Sc. degrees - talking about academics.

Besides I dare say that connecting to the raw DC battery terminals directly cannot be defeated by Nissan, and if the computer figures something amiss, it can be shunted.

If DC is supplied to the raw terminals, it may confuse the battery charge counter, but I don't think it will result in refusal to drive.

And as far as the battery is concerned, it should not care whether the electrons come from the charger or a genset.

Also: I already own a genset.

ok so you want a realistic answer; yes of course. work at it hard enough and it can be done.

i should go now, but on a "longer" trip, it would seem space to be a primary concern. where would this generator go? how would it be powered and how would you carry the fuel to power it?

i can guess the answer to most above; illegally

Smidge204 said:
This. For steady highway driving you should need "only" ~16kW (~22HP) which is a pretty big generator. Plus, a proper automotive engine would have pollution controls galore on it - a gen set would have nothing but a tin-can muffler, thus completely defeating the purpose of driving an EV.
=Smidge=

Well, this is not correct. If you drive at 50 MPH on a side road, as the Leaf has 100 miles range, the 24 KWh battery is drained in 2 hours or at 12 KW.

Now, you start with a full battery and the point is that when you drive for 5 hours (and assuming there is no Level 3 charger on the road), you are done with driving for the day, or you are at destination. Therefore, you need to supply 3 hours of power over 5 hours, or 12 * 3 / 5 = 7.2 KW. Heck, I already own a 6 KW genset that can go on the roof or a small trailer - so much for noise and emissions.

Anyone here wants to bet there will be successfull entrepreneurs renting out trailers with 8 KW gensets who have figured how to defeat the Leaf?

Interleaf said:
mogur said:
smkettner said:

Why modify the LEAF for an annual trip including voiding the warranty?
How about swap cars with a friend for the single trip? or fly? or rent?
Or maybe wait five years for a kit to accomplish what you want.
Basically what you want does not exist. The LEAF itself barely exists.
Otherwise get a vehicle that suits your needs and that may not be a LEAF.

DaveinOlyWA said:
where would this generator go? how would it be powered and how would you carry the fuel to power it? i can guess the answer to most above; illegally

Goes on the roof or a trailer. A genset comes wth its own tank. Then carry a gerrycan of gas. Last time I checked none of these components were illegal to carry.

ok i see where you are going. problem is, hauling a trailer is going to pretty much force you to use more power than normal like being on a perpetual hill climb.

so you need to determine how far you are going. keep in mind, any stop will allow you to "catch up". you would be similar to a Volt in operation but only when you needed it instead of 24/7 @ 40 mpg like the Volt.

well that idea is already been floated, but the cost of the trailer is prohibitively high. now on a rental basis? maybe. but i cant see their being a large enough market for this product. my Leaf will become the primary vehicle in our household. but for long trips, it will be parked and the Prius will be taken.

Interleaf said:
Smidge204 said:
=Smidge=

Well, this is not correct. If you drive at 50 MPH on a side road, as the Leaf has 100 miles range, the 24 KWh battery is drained in 2 hours or at 12 KW.

Now, you start with a full battery and the point is that when you drive for 5 hours (and assuming there is no Level 3 charger on the road), you are done with driving for the day, or you are at destination. Therefore, you need to supply 3 hours of power over 5 hours, or 12 * 3 / 5 = 7.2 KW. Heck, I already own a 6 KW genset that can go on the roof or a small trailer - so much for noise and emissions.

Anyone here wants to bet there will be successfull entrepreneurs renting out trailers with 8 KW gensets who have figured how to defeat the Leaf?

Mount one on your roof and let us know how it goes. I know I could easily make this work on the technical side and I also know it's a silly undertaking, at least from a practical standpoint. Make sure it is safely mounted, the cables are secure, etc, etc. People have done trailers on EVs but that does not mean it makes sense. To do this properly is going to cost a bit as well. How exactly does that mount to the roof?

EVDRIVER said:
Interleaf said:
Smidge204 said:
=Smidge=

Mount one on your roof and let us know how it goes. I know I could easily make this work on the technical side and I also know it's a silly undertaking, at least from a practical standpoint. Make sure it is safely mounted, the cables are secure, etc, etc. People have done trailers on EVs but that does not mean it makes sense. To do this properly is going to cost a bit as well. How exactly does that mount to the roof?

the roof option i am gonna have to guess would be a huge hit on wind resistance along with limited storage.

actually what you should do is the trailer option (will have to have some sort of quick hitch invention as well). there is already a company doing the trailer, but their cost is astronomical. do it and sell it cheap?

but then again, what would cheap be. even at a few grand, it would only be worth it if you were taking long trips VERY frequently

This was done for the RAV4EV. Toyota commissioned AC Propulsion to come up with a prototype. It apparently worked really well. Here are some details: http://www.evnut.com/rav_longranger.htm

rav_longranger01.jpg

If I were a company thinking of developing this commercially, I would offer it with a small amount of additional storage space and make it available for rent through U-Haul.

Meanwhile, you are probably producing many times the level of pollution of a modern ICE car. I'm sorry, but it just seems brain-dead to me. It's like using a sledge hammer to drive a finishing nail - use the right tool for the job.

Devin said:
This was done for the RAV4EV. Toyota commissioned AC Propulsion to come up with a prototype. It apparently worked really well.

Devin said:
This was done for the RAV4EV. Toyota commissioned AC Propulsion to come up with a prototype. It apparently worked really well.

Actually thought of this:

hybrid-944-pusher.jpg

Though the Rav4EV trailer thing is just a generator and that kludge is actually pushing the car attached to it.

The main point being that a full car engine setup has pollution control equipment which makes it measurably less obnoxious than a simple gen set.
=Smidge=

Interleaf said:
Smidge204 said:
=Smidge=

A gasoline powered generator on the roof of your Leaf?? Surely you jest. :lol:

Back