Does charging to 80% give you 80% of the current capacity?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garylai

Apologies if this question has been answered before, but I cannot find this discussed. Understanding that the maximum energy storage capacity of the Leaf battery degrades over time, if I set my Leaf charging timer to 80%, does it charge the battery to 80% of whatever the current maximum capacity is, or 80% of the original capacity?

Put another way, if I always set my timer to charge the Leaf to 80%, should I reliably always get the same potential range (assuming similar driving conditions) until the total maximum capacity of the battery degrades below 80%?

garylai said:
Apologies if this question has been answered before, but I cannot find this discussed. Understanding that the maximum energy storage capacity of the Leaf battery degrades over time, if I set my Leaf charging timer to 80%, does it charge the battery to 80% of whatever the current maximum capacity is, or 80% of the original capacity?
80% of the current maximum capacity.

I wish there was a way to set the charging timer to some intermediate value between 80-100% then. Basically, when I first got the car which I consistently charge to 80%, my normal commute would end at 2-3 bars remaining depending on outside temperature. Now I've had the car for about 20,000 miles, and I noticed I'm ending with more like 2 bars on cold days, and occasionally 1 bar. It looks like I'll have to jump straight to 100% charge on the timer in the winter. Another workaround is I've started to do is to turn off the charging timer about 20 minutes before leaving for work, just to give myself a little boost past 80%.

80% of capacity - in fact that is one of the problems with the LEAF - as you lose capacity, you are "forced" to charge to 100% more often to be able to make reasonable use of the car - which, in effect, hastens further capacity loss. And, as you lose more capacity bc you were charging to 100% and draining to near zero, you further hasten more battery loss, which makes you charge to 100% more often... etc...

Back