Does anyone else get "Leaf" foot?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knightarmor

It probably sounds weird but has anyone else experienced pain in their right foot/leg from driving the Leaf? For the first couple of months after purchasing the Leaf (purchased about a year ago from when I typing this) my foot was hurting pretty bad and I couldn't figure out why. I kept thinking it was because of something I was doing on my mountain bike but I've been riding mountain bikes for the past 10 years without issues. Eventually I found out it was from driving the Leaf and holding my foot a certain way when letting off the pedal to regenerate and whatnot. Eventually I changed my driving style for driving the Leaf and the pain went away but recently I've had foot and knee pains again, I thought it was from riding a new road bike I built but now I'm beginning to suspect it was from a new pair of sneakers I had been wearing while driving the Leaf (Nike Run Reax with the Shox style bridges in the heel), I have since stopped wearing those shoes when I drive the Leaf and actually stopped driving the Leaf for a few days and finally I'm getting better.

Also a couple of months ago I was out of town for a week and my wife was driving the Leaf everyday, surprisingly she texted a few days into my trip telling me she was getting "Leaf" foot. I found this hilarious because she thought I was crazy about blaming the Leaf for my foot and leg pain after we bought the car. We can't be the only people experiencing this.

Has anyone else experienced foot/leg pains since their Leaf ownership?

Well, now that you mention it, yes. I wouldn't say pain, maybe a mild discomfort from holding my foot off the pedal like that. More feathering than an ICE? I'm not in the car for very long normally, so it's not a problem. I just adjust my foot angle or shift positions if we're on the road for a while. Cruise control on the highway.

If everything is drive by wire, do we even need foot pedals? Why not thumb controls on the wheel? Or something like that. Wont be an issue when cars drive themselves.

Move your seat back. I have mine pretty much all the way back, and I'm only 5'9". If I have it close, my foot muscles get overworked and my knee and lower leg touches the bottom of the center stack. But that's true of any car. You just need to find the best seating position that puts minimal strain on your body.

kubel said:
Move your seat back. I have mine pretty much all the way back, and I'm only 5'9".
I'm 6'1" with somewhat long legs and cannot move the seat back far enough to be 100% comfortable. This is perhaps my biggest complaint about the LEAF and I feel that there is no excuse for it. If the normal driver's-seat range can't accommodate "someone like me", then they should design/allow it to go back farther into the back seating area. Especially given how much driving is done with only one or two people: i.e., it would only interfere with another passenger rarely (overall), if ever at all (in individual cases). Nissan, give us a little more leg room in the driver's seat... please!.

On the other hand, if leaf foot was an auto-correct typo for lead foot, I plead guilty and admit that it's all my doing. LOL

Well, come to think of it, it wasn't as much a problem before I got the Leaf, so maybe Nissan bears some responsibility here as well. :)

I feather the accelerator a lot of the time to coast while still in D or Eco, haven't noticed any foot pain. However, I did have some pain in one of my toes after backpacking 45 miles in the Sierra last week. :eek:

Yea, I am 6' 2" and the seat is all the way back. I also admit this is my one complaint about this vehicle, it's like riding in a mini van. I don't think Nissan did any Ergonomics checks when positioning the seat as high as it is.

Same type of product: http://extendmyseat.com/brands/Nissan.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd be happy with a whole new seat.

Pay attention Nissan. It's my one major complaint about the car.

In fact, I'm looking at a second EV and I think I'm going to relegate the leaf to my wife since she's about the right size for the leaf.

The seat is much to high. I have to duck down below the rear view mirror to see on right hand corners, especially on highway ramps.

The seat is also very uncomfortable because it feels like there's a ridge going across the middle of the seat side to side.

More leg room would be nice but I'm not sold on the after market extenders because moving the seat back 4" could create issues with the airbags ability to do their job correctly.

Another problem would be the sun-vizer. At present, its barely adequate and it needs an overhaul. Sitting further back would provide more sun glare from the left side. It would need an upgrade along with the seat. Also the seat belt might be to far forward. if I recall correctly, there's pre-tensioners in them.

Finally , as an addition to the safety/comfort issue, the distance between the console and the brake pedal could be increased about 1/2 inch. Its not a big issue unless I have my work boots on but its an issue none the less.

I'm 6'5 and I wear size 15 shoes. My son is 14 and he's as tall as I am and wears the same size shoes.
And there's plenty of other people in the same boat. No offence or anything, but if the Japanese would like to sell cars in North America, they'd best make the cockpits big enough.

Zurc

I am 6 5" and have no issues in the 2012

mbender said:
kubel said:
Move your seat back. I have mine pretty much all the way back, and I'm only 5'9".
I'm 6'1" with somewhat long legs and cannot move the seat back far enough to be 100% comfortable. This is perhaps my biggest complaint about the LEAF and I feel that there is no excuse for it. If the normal driver's-seat range can't accommodate "someone like me", then they should design/allow it to go back farther into the back seating area. Especially given how much driving is done with only one or two people: i.e., it would only interfere with another passenger rarely (overall), if ever at all (in individual cases). Nissan, give us a little more leg room in the driver's seat... please!.

My seat has a height adjustment. If yours has that, have you moved it to the lowest position? I find the driving position excellent, and I usually drive from full battery to low battery without stopping. 5' 11", 200 lb.

I think I may have experienced 'Leaf' foot just as OP describes. I would take a guess that the need to coast by feathering the pedal is the main reason. I blame the regen for that.

We would all be better off, and perhaps even get a better range if the Leaf simply simulates neutral when you get the foot off the pedal instead of doing regen, and do regen only when you press brakes.

This so called one pedal driving, drives me nuts.

it sounds like you want a zero regen option

mkjayakumar said:
I think I may have experienced
'Leaf' foot just as OP describes. I would take a guess that the need to coast by feathering the pedal is the main reason. I blame the regen for that.

We would all be better off, and perhaps even get a better range if the Leaf simply simulates neutral when you get the foot off the pedal instead of doing regen, and do regen only when you press brakes.

This so called one pedal driving, drives me nuts.

Stoaty said:
I feather the accelerator a lot of the time to coast while still in D or Eco, haven't noticed any foot pain. However, I did have some pain in one of my toes after backpacking 45 miles in the Sierra last week. :eek:
Some car's accelerators just have bad foot angles and/or overly strong springs for some people, but the OP should definitely try some of the seat rail extenders and other remedies mentioned.

OT - Whereabouts (in the Sierra, not your toes ;) )? I was planning on going up to the Tuolumne Meadows area and/or the east side a few weeks back, but the fire shut down 120 and in any case I hate to be working hard at altitude and breathing smoke. Then was going to go last weekend but some SOB busted the back window of my Forester last Tuesday while it was on my parking pad (even though there was obviously nothing in it), and the glass co. is having trouble getting the molding. I'm getting very antsy, because I prefer to avoid the Labor Day weekend if possible. OTOH, post-Labor Day is very nice, especially on the east side when all the aspens and cottonwoods start to change color. I used to go over on Columbus Day weekend to climb Mt. Ritter and/or Banner Peak, but haven't for some years.

Back