Do you expect leather option in a $32K car?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, I do!

I'm not sure I would have opted for leather on the Leaf but I definitely would have opted for some of the very nice leatherettes that are available. They look and even smell like leather, wear better than leather, and are cheaper. I had a BMW with it some years ago and unless you knew, you'd never have suspected that it wasn't leather. And ten years later, it still looked almost like new. That said, I would have liked the option to pick leather if I so desired.

Herm said:
do you have a stroke if you get a door ding?

Why not, it's a mandatory option on an Elantra, Forte, and 2012 Ford Focus Titanium if your want the technology packages. All three cars are at least MSRP $7,000 below 32K.

electriclarry said:
Why not, it's a mandatory option on an Elantra, Forte, and 2012 Ford Focus Titanium if your want the technology packages. All three cars are at least MSRP $7,000 below 32K.
Sure, I'd like leather, but this just isn't a $32k car. Without the incentives, I just don't think they'd sell. The tech will have to get cheaper for these to be sold without incentives. Now, they may upgrade the car rather than lower the price, in which case we'll see leather, and lots of other goodies...but I really hope they maintain an EV model in the mid $20k range.

evnow said:
http://www.apteraforum.com/showthread.php?t=4151&page=13

Don't want to revisit leather. Let us just say some have objections to leather strong enough to make them not buy cars with leather seats.

Wow, that Aptera forum is a funny place. That car is more of a phantom than some of our Leafs.
Gotta get a kick and have a pause at the remark that asks:
Would you feel the same if the seat were made out of cat hide?

I have always had leather seats, with heat in the last three cars, and only once in a lighter color. They were all very durable. Haven't had a cloth seat except in a rental in years, so I cant really compare.

Talk about barbaric, a good neighbor is inviting us over for the roasting of a whole lamb. We don't do Easter, but we are bringing several bottles of Pinot Noir and this will be interesting.

TRONZ said:
On the other hand, I do respect that others are very sensitive to animal rights issues, are vegetarians, etc.
Most vegetarians I know have no problems with leather - you probably meant vegans.

I don't have any problems with leather per se - but don't like the way they skin the cattle alive to get the leather. Leather tanning is a really harmful and dirty process that can put any oil refinery to shame (except in scale). Infact most of the leather tanning is now done in countries with lax regulation / enforcement for this reason. So, I avoid buying leather.

I like the idea of the recycled fabric, but wish they could have somehow made it just a shade darker, to conceal stains. I think I will probably get the interior shampooed every now and then (they do it at our airport, which is nice), which should remedy the situation.

Also, I have always had a strict no food policy in my cars. Just coffee in my spill-proof commuter mug, and water. :)

I purchased some recycled aftermarket floor mats from Costco. Costco recently changed suppliers, and I noticed that these new ones smell less. They're hanging in my garage, next to the Blink, awaiting the car's arrival.

I have some philosophical gripes with leather, which have been noted by others above, which generally prohibit me from getting it in my car. But I agree that Nissan should consider it as a future option or trim package for those who like it. Or, maybe a more animal-friendly alternative? I'd go for that. I would like the car to be appealing to a broader audience. For me though, right now, I couldn't be happier to be getting this car in its current configuration. :mrgreen:

evnow said:
I don't have any problems with leather per se - but don't like the way they skin the cattle alive to get the leather.

It is disturbing but at least the cows are about to be turned into hamburger a few moments later, naugahyde is much worse, a machine makes an incision around the neck and paws, then they just squeeze until all you have left is the skin.. this is how you obtain seamless naugahyde

Herm said:
rainnw said:
I care less about the impact of leather on the environment, and more about my car being destroyed because light colored cloth seats are going to be a magnet for dirt, spills, etc.

Car destroyed?.. for gods sake, go get a set of cheap seat covers right now!.. do you have a stroke if you get a door ding?

You apparently don't have kids ... :lol: :lol: If it wasn't for leather interior in our current cars, we'd probably have to have it reupholstered weekly.

seat covers are tacky.

GroundLoop said:
I'd go for a leather option, but nothing compares to the soft plush drape of baby seal skin.

hmmm...good idea.

It's actually somewhat surprising Nissan doesn't have leather as an option (this isn't a Versa) - since they would obviously price the option to make a higher profit.

Give Nissan a year or two and I'll bet we'll see a leather / leatherette option. No sense in leaving money on the table when they could have it.

IBELEAF said:
Custom ones will do the trick without looking tacky
As opposed to, say that CONSOLE COVER..

Pass the eye beach, please.

images

GroundLoop said:
IBELEAF said:
Custom ones will do the trick without looking tacky
As opposed to, say that CONSOLE COVER..

Pass the eye beach, please.

images

With the covers and center appli-que? it's Christmas in Moscow, circa 1970 :shock: How many hot tubs or VW Things were recycled to get that color? At least the seat covers look like they won't absorb vomit too quickly :eek:

yeah, the color choice is um... interesting, but maybe we don't know the whole story. The point was to show the fit, not the color choices.

I dream of a Leaf with a bench seat and no center console, pushbutton gear selection on the dash.. and the seat back folds completely flat. Teenagers everywhere will love it.

If the car were $36K I would want snake skin on the dash and giraffe on the seats, at a minimum.

Back