Do you expect leather option in a $32K car?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. I expect environmentally responsible materials only.

Are you asking for Leaf or in general for any car ?

garygid said:
What is not environmentally responsible about using leather?

I agree. It's not so much an environmental thing....more an philosophical one. Actually, you should be actively working to rid the planet of cows to be environmentally responsible, because of that whole methane thing.

garygid said:
What is not environmentally responsible about using leather?

Whatever environmental irresponsibility there might be with a leather interior, I have to think building the car with a fabric interior, then ripping the brand new fabric out and throwing it in a dumpster and replacing it with leather would only be worse. Without a factory leather option you know that's what will happen.

Leather gets hot to the touch when the car is parked in the sun. That is thermal inertia that is transferred directly into the passenger. For that reason alone, I suspect it won't be an option at first, as anything that gets or feels hot will tend to increase use of AC, which affects range.

http://www.apteraforum.com/showthread.php?t=4151&page=13

Don't want to revisit leather. Let us just say some have objections to leather strong enough to make them not buy cars with leather seats.

I would prefer alacantara or cloth myself...not a big leather fan.... but I believe the seats are made of "environmentally friendly" materials like the soy seats in the Ford Escape Hybrid (non leather model)

I agree leather should be an option on a car this expensive. Not everybody will be buying it to save the planet.

Thankfully we're all adults here and can respect the choices others make without necessarily agreeing with them.... right?

Bicster said:
Thankfully we're all adults here and can respect the choices others make without necessarily agreeing with them.... right?

No way - I've not seen any adults behave that way recently :lol:

Personally, I prefer cloth - they tend to look better for a longer period (I strictly ban all food items in the car :twisted: ).

I wouldn't be surprised if a major auto manufacturer has a leather option on any car, but expect to see it more on a luxury car. Regardless of price, I'm not sure Nissan is targeting the luxury market with the Leaf.

Personally though, having lived in both cold and hot climates, the feel of leather is right up there with the plastic covers my great aunt had on her couch. I have no desire to have leather seats.

Andy

It's not so much a leather issue for me, but I don't like the very light-colored fabric they seem to have chosen in the one-size fits all interior. Yes, darker fabric may bring some heat issues, but I don't want the inside of my car to show every scuff, shoe print, dirt spot, etc. I'll reserve more judgement until when we see the real deal during the test drives, but right now I wish it was a little bit darker....

For anyone who can't live without leather, there's always the upcoming Infiniti EV.

There will probably also be aftermarket leather patterns. I've seen some very well done aftermarket leather seats. If any airbags are built into the seats, though, it becomes rather complicated and I wouldn't risk it...

Back