Do you charge at work?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've picked up maybe 10 kWH or so total from a 120V outlet at the office over 6 weeks of having the LEAF. Even in the coldest weather, I could make my normal commute with ease, but a few times a side trip would leave me wanting a few extra miles. Since the weather has warmed up, I'll be changing to 80% at home, since my RT commute only takes a third of the charge. The LEAF is perfect for me!

Today I stopped by my bank, which is just down the road from the filling station I used to go to. Without thinking, I almost made the familiar turn to the gas station, but I realized what I was doing before I let off the brake.

I try to charge at work whenever possible. And it usually is. I have had the Leaf for 2 weeks now and found out that I have a range of around 100 km. It has been between -10 and +5 degrees Celsius here in northern Norway and I guess this low fuel economy is a result of both the temperature and the winter tires and of course just a little bit of heating now and then to keep the windows clear. I charge to 100% at work every other day if possible. Leaving a buffer for some errands on the way to work or home. If necessary I can always charge at home with the 10A 240V EVSE over night especially in the weekend.
Unfortunately there seems to be a good deal of illiterate staff and/or students at the university I work at. The last days the 2 spaces reserved for electric cars were occupied by ICEs, maybe a protest against EVs sometimes parking on the conventional places when not needing a charge? However, there are more EVsl than charging spots available anyway... Unfortunately there are too few parking places at the university in general during the winter time, since huge mountains of snow are piled up everywhere occupying probably 10% of all parking space available in the summer. But I haven't had any problems so far and am happy with the Leaf.

They're installing two dual-head charging stations at work this week. Hopefully they'll be finishing up soon.

My Leaf is scheduled to come on Wednesday of next week.

I'm planning to do the majority of my charging at work, and only charging at home when I use the Leaf to run additional errands in the evening, and on the weekends. I'm not installing an L2 charger, so I'll just be using the L1 at home.

jkirkebo said:
Also, there are hundreds free EV parking spots in the city (Oslo), free parking & charging for all EVs. The largest EV parking/charging lot have 50 spaces, the next largest one 36. And the airport has 100 charging spots, free parking & charging for EVs up to one week. After that it's quite cheap ($35/additional week).

And I have three (soon to be 5+) free CHAdeMO chargers on my commute run :)

Wow!! You guys are WAY ahead of us. I suppose that's due to much higher petrol costs (close to USD $2 per litre now?)

I am allowed to charge at work L1 only. I do not normally need to. but it nice that it is OK to do so.

Our new development project will have some free charging stations scattered about.

baronvonshush said:
neal77 said:
I am just wondering if it is legal for anyone (other than the electric company who actually makes the elecctrity) to charge for electricity. Companies do not own the electricity they just pay a fee for the amount they use, therefore they can not charge someone for something they do not own. Any thoughts?
Blink has the answer to this question in their FAQ:
Why are you charging by time and not by kWh?

The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission mandates that only utilities can legally charge for energy by the kilowatt-hour. We charge for hourly access to our Blink chargers, not the energy passed through them.

Who could possibly question Ecotality !!!

I have previously posted this ruling:

Yes, in California, electricity can be sold per kWh for the purpose of vehicle refueling.

On July 29, 2010, the... PUC ruled that the ownership or operation of a
facility that sells electricity at retail to the public for use
only as a motor vehicle fuel does not make the corporation or
person a "public utility" within the meaning of the Public
Utilities Code.

TonyWilliams said:
baronvonshush said:
neal77 said:
I am just wondering if it is legal for anyone (other than the electric company who actually makes the elecctrity) to charge for electricity. Companies do not own the electricity they just pay a fee for the amount they use, therefore they can not charge someone for something they do not own. Any thoughts?
Blink has the answer to this question in their FAQ:
Why are you charging by time and not by kWh?

The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission mandates that only utilities can legally charge for energy by the kilowatt-hour. We charge for hourly access to our Blink chargers, not the energy passed through them.

Who could possibly question Ecotality !!!

I have previously posted this ruling:

Yes, in California, electricity can be sold per kWh for the purpose of vehicle refueling.

I don't think that's in dispute. However, perhaps Ecotality, because they do business in states other than CA, needs a business model that works in ALL the markets they "serve".

Back