Do you charge at work?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trentr

My work just decided that they will charge $.65 per hour. Not bad, but still almost twice as much as tier 1 of PGE at home charging the LEAF at 3.3KW. Do you charge at work? If so, how much does your company charge per hour? I'm not really sure the reason why they can't charge per KW consumed. Oh well, I guess I'll charge at work when I'm near tier 3 or something.

trentr said:
My work just decided that they will charge $.65 per hour. Not bad, but still almost twice as much as tier 1 of PGE at home charging the LEAF at 3.3KW. Do you charge at work? If so, how much does your company charge per hour? I'm not really sure the reason why they can't charge per KW consumed. Oh well, I guess I'll charge at work when I'm near tier 3 or something.
Assuming L2, it's not that bad. At that price, I wouldn't hesitate to charge on an as needed basis.

trentr said:
My work just decided that they will charge $.65 per hour.
Ha, funny, my employer decided to do the same. Are you on First Ave in Sunnyvale by any chance or at GA?

I am just wondering if it is legal for anyone (other than the electric company who actually makes the elecctrity) to charge for electricity. Companies do not own the electricity they just pay a fee for the amount they use, therefore they can not charge someone for something they do not own. Any thoughts?

we can trickle for free (but spots are very limited and ICES) and the blinks are also free until july, but quite remote from where I work; about 12-minute walk away. I still use them when I need it.

I will say that charging at work gets addicting, so I am usually prepared to walk to the blinks to get my four bars.

smkettner said:
Are you going to charge one hour and hand the guy 65 cents each day
That comes courtesy of outsourcing, the vendor must be paid somehow. Oh, and I would like to have cream cheese with that!

neal77 said:
I am just wondering if it is legal for anyone (other than the electric company who actually makes the elecctrity) to charge for electricity. Companies do not own the electricity they just pay a fee for the amount they use, therefore they can not charge someone for something they do not own. Any thoughts?
Blink has the answer to this question in their FAQ:
Why are you charging by time and not by kWh?

The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission mandates that only utilities can legally charge for energy by the kilowatt-hour. We charge for hourly access to our Blink chargers, not the energy passed through them.

As for the thread topic, my work has L2 chargers that are free for employees to use. The "free" part may not last forever, but the facilities manager did tell me he expected it to remain free for "a long time." I guess it's a perk they're trying to offer employees. This was a significant factor in my decision to buy the LEAF, as it means 2 things: the majority of my energy cost is free; and no added expense to buy/install a charger up front because we can get away with L1 charging at home on the weekends.

So far, so good in the first 10 days of ownership. ;)

Like a few have mentioned, I have become spoiled and addicted to work charging. My work installed 2 blink chargers. The bonus of this has allowed me to charge to 80% instead of 100% and allowing me to use the leaf for lunches and meetings. Even though blink will start charging soon, my work has decided (don't know how the implementation will work) that all employees can get a free charge and any vistors can get a free charge (assuming the secretary will have a blink card they can borrow). Anyone from the public will pay.

Yes charging at work is so addicting. I have even slid on my conservative driving techniques (lets floor it to beat that 350z!) and have used way to much heater this winter. But its oh so nice!

I have no need to charge at work. My round-trip commute is 10 miles. It is not unusual for me to arrive at work with my battery gauge still reading full bars. In fact, often I'll skip charging every other day if I don't go anywhere in the evenings to avoid recharging the car with an already high SOC.

However, the CEO has talked about installing a charging station to improve their green image and get some extra tax points. But I don't think it is ever going to happen.

adric22 said:
I have no need to charge at work.

You're quite lucky. However, keep in mind that should you change jobs, you might NEED to charge at work, so try and encourage employers to install one. Can't hurt.

Another factor may be the likelihood of your existing employer leasing different (and potentially further away) office space. My employer is thinking of changing office locations for a $0.50 savings per square foot, when his lease renews in 2013. :shock:

Pipcecil said:
Yes charging at work is so addicting. I have even slid on my conservative driving techniques (lets floor it to beat that 350z!) and have used way to much heater this winter. But its oh so nice!
LOL

I'm retired, so no charging at work, but a place I frequently visit allows L1 or L2 using a quick 240 and my upgraded EVSE. On one 3 lane streach of road, just love to be at the head of a lane at the light. And, yes, the cursed heater is so nice when you have lots of bars

Bill

To answer the OP question, I sometimes charge at work (L1). My home office is 8 miles from my house so I don't need to there, however, on occasion I have found my charge low (I charge every few days at home) an so if the parking spot by the 1 outlet around back is open I'll plugin (like my license plate - I PLGIN). My other office I frequent once a week is 25ish miles away, all highway with elevation gains and rolling highways. I used to charge to 80%, drive to that office, plugin L1 in the parking garage and charge to 80% again. My work was very cool with me charging and even said if I NEEDED to charge one day, they will gladly shuffle cars around to get me to an outlet (there are 6 outlets in the garage). However, the last few months I've just charged to 100% and did NOT charge at that office. I was going back and forth what is better for the battery: 2 80% charges in the same day or 1 100% charge. True, I could make it there and back with a single 80% charge but this way I can use climate control and not need to worry.

baronvonshush said:
neal77 said:
Blink has the answer to this question in their FAQ:
Why are you charging by time and not by kWh?

The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission mandates that only utilities can legally charge for energy by the kilowatt-hour. We charge for hourly access to our Blink chargers, not the energy passed through them.

In California the California Public Utilities Commission made the exception for entities to charge for electricity when it is to be used as electronic fuel. Therefore, people who have L1/L2/L3 in California CAN charge by the kWh. I didn't initially think this was the case but I was corrected by someone on this forum with a link to the CPUC decision.

davewill said:
EricBayArea said:
... I was going back and forth what is better for the battery: 2 80% charges in the same day or 1 100% charge. ...
No contest. 2 80% charges will be much better.
+1. Most battery "wear" occurs at high and low states of charge. Keeping the pack in the middle of it's state of charge is much easier on the battery.

Think of it this way: 1 full charge/discharge cycle from 100% to 0% and back puts a LOT more wear on the battery than going from 80% to 55% and back 4 times.

I'd be ecstatic if I had an opportunity to charge at $0.65/hr rate at work. All my attempts during last 8 months to convince my employer and the landlord to install the chargers, or at least provide monthly-fee based reserved parking spots with L1 outlets, were unsuccessful so far. What's been frustrating is that they agree it is a great idea, blah blah blah, but do nothing about it. I guess all it takes if someone more important in the company than myself buys an EV, then things will move much quicker. My commute is 20 miles each way so I'm managing without charging mid-day on 80% charge easily, but this will likely change soon as I have plans to move farther away from work.

The few times a month I drive to work I have to charge as the commute is 60 miles each way. In winter I charge to 100% both ways, in summer I can manage on only a 80% charge at home but always charge to 100% at work.

We have four EV parking spaces, all with 230V 16A sockets so must use my EVSE. It is in a public parking structure and charging is free for anyone that pays to park there. My employer pays for my parking, so I don't pay anything to charge.

Also, there are hundreds free EV parking spots in the city (Oslo), free parking & charging for all EVs. The largest EV parking/charging lot have 50 spaces, the next largest one 36. And the airport has 100 charging spots, free parking & charging for EVs up to one week. After that it's quite cheap ($35/additional week).

And I have three (soon to be 5+) free CHAdeMO chargers on my commute run :)

Although I can make it to and from work on a single charge, it doesn't allow me much additional range for additional trips during the day. So, my employer installed a 220 outlet for me at my parking spot. I use my L1 charger (upgraded to L2 through EVSE Upgrade Project) on the 220 outlet. No charge for the charge! Works like a charm.

Back