Discuss data from the LEAF Battery app, and Comparisons

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also lost my 4th battery bar recently (yesterday), on a 2011 Leaf with 59,846 miles. Here are the stats from LeafSpy:

AHr=42.66, SOH=65%, 385.47V, Hx=43.87%, odo=59,846mi, 8 QCs, 3506 L1/L2s

This car has been in the San Francisco bay area its whole life, where summer high temperatures are typically mid 80s or low 90s at most. So it hasn't seen any extreme environments.

kolmstead said:
Thanks, Paul! That's exactly what I have in mind; the 56 mile run from Ridgecrest to my house in Lake Isabella over Walker Pass without burning a drop of fuel.

I actually drove up and over the pass last month several times, but the car was well below LBW at the top. Then down the far side, with GIDs rising. I turned around at the remains of the old Canebrake lodge. On one of the runs back down from Walker Pass, the battery gained 12 GIDs! Do you have a good number for the altitude at the pass? My cell phone GPS was off by thousands of feet when I stopped to check.

Very difficult to estimate miles remaining when driving down steep hills. Especially when you know that you have to turn around and climb back up in order to get home.

-Karl

Karl,
Leaf Spy Pro (not sure if regular Leaf Spy has it) will give you your elevation change on the data it logs for the Trip/Charge Log csv file. So if you go from an elevation of 20 feet to an elevation of 100 feet, it'll show an elv ft change of 80. So check your trip logs and that might help you with what you wanted to know. :)

fooljoe said:
mwalsh said:
10/20/15: AHr=43.11 CAP=65.71% Hlth=44.01%. Mileage: 55,728. Lost bar 9.*

Note: exactly one month from noticing that first wild swing upward.
Ok, I searched the record and found that my wild swing upward was on 10/7. I'm marking my calendar for 11/7 - if the bar drops then perhaps we're on to something!

Fingers crossed for you. What an agonizing wait though. Gah!

When is your warranty up...June, or sooner due to mileage?

I'm good on the mileage front at only about 47k, so it's up in June. Unless the capacity starts going up all winter I'm not too worried about getting that new battery eventually. However, I'm getting to the point where making my ~55 mile commute is a real nailbiter, especially if I want to go anywhere for lunch or make any sort of side trips, and if it gets too far into the winter the cold will make it that much worse. Thankfully the 405 traffic keeps me at around 5 miles/kWh efficiency so I can stretch that old battery for all it's worth.

schamberlin said:
I also lost my 4th battery bar recently (yesterday), on a 2011 Leaf with 59,846 miles. Here are the stats from LeafSpy:

This car has been in the San Francisco bay area its whole life, where summer high temperatures are typically mid 80s or low 90s at most. So it hasn't seen any extreme environments.

Can we get the mfg date from the driver door jamb label and the VIN?

|- style="background:#ffffff;" valign=top
|#??
|October 20, 2015
|schamberlin
|SF Bay Area, CA
|59,846 miles
|?? months
|mfg date
|VIN ??
|
|
| This car has been in the San Francisco bay area its whole life, where summer high temperatures are typically mid 80s or low 90s at most. So it hasn't seen any extreme environments.

dhanson865 said:
schamberlin said:

Can we get the mfg date from the driver door jamb label and the VIN?

Date of manufacture is 6/11.

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: Lost my bar today! :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

46,730 miles, 42.75 Ah, 64.53% SOH, 44.02% Hx, Purchase: 6/11, Manufacture: 5/11.

Much to my surprise, the bar was still there when I first fired the car up this morning, but was gone when I used the car again to drive to lunch. Didn't notice until I had driven a little bit, as I didn't check right away, assuming as I had that bars always drop first thing in the morning. Nissan should really program the car to go off like a crazy slot machine when the bar drops. :lol:

lxcVwOB.jpg

peqkLxK.png

fooljoe said:

46,730 miles, 42.75 Ah, 64.53% SOH, 44.02% Hx, Purchase: 6/11, Manufacture: 5/11.

Much to my surprise, the bar was still there when I first fired the car up this morning, but was gone when I used the car again to drive to lunch. Didn't notice until I had driven a little bit, as I didn't check right away, assuming as I had that bars always drop first thing in the morning. Nissan should really program the car to go off like a crazy slot machine when the bar drops. :lol:

lxcVwOB.jpg

peqkLxK.png

Congrats on your coming new battery. Lottery winner indeed.

Can we get the VIN? I think that is the only thing missing for a an entry.

Added mwalsh, schamberlin and fooljoe to my copy of mwalsh's list of losers. If Ahr is our best tool, then the range from 43.00 to 43.50 is the sweet spot. More than half the losers (winners!) are in that range; five between 43.00 and 43.25 and five between 43.25 and 43.50 Ahr.

Wondering if we should have paid more attention to Hx! Or maybe GIDs at full charge. Need a better predictor...

-Karl (42.55 Ahr, 43.75% Hx)

fooljoe said:
Much to my surprise, the bar was still there when I first fired the car up this morning, but was gone when I used the car again to drive to lunch. Didn't notice until I had driven a little bit, as I didn't check right away, assuming as I had that bars always drop first thing in the morning.

Congrats! Had you charged between morning and lunch?

fooljoe said:

Good news!

That dispels the thought that it has to be the first startup after a full charge anyway. And you were also just above two weeks, like HDD. So clearly you don't have to wait a whole month like I had to? I wish we knew what for sure drives this to happen!

So when is it going to be Karl's turn?

kolmstead said:
Added mwalsh, schamberlin and fooljoe to my copy of mwalsh's list of losers. If Ahr is our best tool, then the range from 43.00 to 43.50 is the sweet spot. More than half the losers (winners!) are in that range; five between 43.00 and 43.25 and five between 43.25 and 43.50 Ahr.

Wondering if we should have paid more attention to Hx! Or maybe GIDs at full charge. Need a better predictor...

-Karl (42.55 Ahr, 43.75% Hx)

Well, my Hlth/Hx seemed to stick at around 44.0x for a while, and my Gids stuck at 182-184 for the longest time, and then I saw a drop to 181. So is 181 a magic number perhaps? I wish we knew!

Vin ends in 4613. No charging in between morning and loss of the bar, although I did sneak a charge in at lunch before getting the Leafstat screenshot. Max Gids I've been getting lately is 184. Taking it in to the dealer tomorrow.

I'm sure yours will drop soon, kolmstead. Maybe it was somehow triggered by the recent cooler temps? I did see 5 temp bars this morning after being at at least 6 pretty much all summer.

So could it be as simple as x power ons below the threshold? Doesn't seem to be based on calendar time or charging events.

I've been tempted to start a new thread summarizing all our theories about bar loss algorithm instead of hogging this battery app data thread. I'd love to know the truth, but I doubt that we'll ever know it unless somebody decodes Nissan's BMS firmware.

Power cycles, battery temp, Ahr, Hx, full charge GIDs, available kWhr, number of charging cycles, how many cases you started with Nissan customer support, how many times you pressed Cancel instead of Accept...

QueenBee said:
So could it be as simple as x power ons below the threshold? Doesn't seem to be based on calendar time or charging events.
If it took Mike about a month, and Joe about two weeks, we're looking at between 50 and 100 starts. Sound about right guys? How often were you guys starting the car per day?

Back