DFW Metroplex

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pipcecil said:
...but what bothered wife more than anything - ALL of these stations were shown as ready/available on Blink's app and on their website. She concluded because random units are down so much (which, from our experience they are), if you don't "display" they are down then people don't see how widespread the problem is. But, thats a conspiracy theory type stuff. Regardless if its on purpose, the fact that when units are down or off they still display as available is EXTEMELY bad if we are "supposed" to rely of these stations to extend our range :evil: . And so, because of that my wife decided to give them an earful.

Yep, I had a similar discussion with them via email about a month ago:

Me: "... All 4 of these chargers showed “READY” on your Blink iPhone app map, yet none of them were properly functional. Not sure how they can show as ready on the map and not work properly, but that’s what happened. Thank goodness Chargepoint had a charger located nearby. It was functional, and they’re the people who got our charging money today, not Blink."

Blink CS: "...We sincerely apologize for the difficulties you faced; the availability of units such as these on the BlinkMap is an issue our web team is currently working to resolve. As to the units themselves, I have created two tickets, one for each location, to have our field services team investigate and repair. If you have any further questions or concerns, we are available 24/7 via phone or email to assist you."

Me: "Thanks for the email, but yet hours after I reported it, the two Kroger units are still reporting as “Ready”. The Twin Peaks units show “Busy”, probably because my card info has the unit activated, but I couldn’t input my zip code. Sure hope I don’t get any charges coming through for those units, because I never charged at either one of them. All 4 of those units should show “Unavailable”."

Blink CS: "I have verified the units have not charged your account; after a set period of inactivity without input, the charger will cancel a user session to prevent unauthorized use. As mentioned previously, the availability of units on the BlinkMap reported as problematic or inoperable is an issue our web team is working to resolve. At present, however, we are unable to mark the units as “Unavailable;” the units will only display as “Unavailable” if they experience a specific set of errors. If you have any further questions or concerns, we are available 24/7 via phone or email to assist you."

So supposedly, they're working on it.

Pipcecil said:
There is a card for the GE stations, you purchase through amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/GE-WattStation-Connect-Payment-Card/dp/B0092QWD9O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1359984830&sr=8-3&keywords=ge+charging+card" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You are "supposed" to have the option to scan the QR code on the station and active it that way so you could charge without a card, but I haven't tried this option since the stations went active (on a note, I did try it whent he stations were offline and the QR code took me to an unactive URL). Cost is free to charge.

I have a GE card already and I have successfully charged at these stations and they are active 24/7 - as long as you can get to the parking lots. The stations are located in Lot 2, which is at the main entrance (turn into the stadium at the light across from the walmart, lot is to the left and the end of it). I don't know how they handle parking for your event, but sometimes they reserve that front parking for important people, etc. Also to note, these stations are not signed off in anyways - no "EV Parking" signs or "EV only" or even stripped a different color. They are just placed up there, so there is a higher probability of icing (in my opinion).

Within walking distance to the stadium is still the eVgo station (it does have a Level 2) at the walgreens on Collins, maybe less than a 1/2 mile from the stadium, and the Blink stations at NCTCOG, probably ~ 1 mile from the stadium.
Thank you. Is the QR code from the Watt Station app?

Yesterday evening I went to the Kroger in Plano at Coit & 121. One Blink was working and even charged my car, the other one had a blank screen. I checked their iPhone app and it showed both of them as down.

I called the Blink rep and she said she will create a ticket to fix the non-functioning unit.

Bottom line: you cannot trust them when the app shows the units as online, and you cannot trust them when they say they are offline.

mkjayakumar said:
Yesterday evening I went to the Kroger in Plano at Coit & 121. One Blink was working and even charged my car, the other one had a blank screen. I checked their iPhone app and it showed both of them as down.

I called the Blink rep and she said she will create a ticket to fix the non-functioning unit.

Bottom line: you cannot trust them when the app shows the units as online, and you cannot trust them when they say they are offline.
I don't think I have ever seen both Blink stations working when there are two. It is sad that their hardware is so unreliable.

mkjayakumar said:

That's the same Kroger I was reporting in the emails posted above. Looks like they are having consistent problems with that location. I reported both units as non-functional on New Years Eve.

shay said:
Thank you. Is the QR code from the Watt Station app?

The QR code is directly on the station, you can scan it with any barcode scanner app on your phone. Unfortunately, I don't know how the watt station app works since GE is three full major android systems behind (7 updates), and only works on android systems from over 2 years old and nothing newer. needless to say, I have a newer operating system on my phone...sad.

To register your card, you will need to go to their website here:

https://www.gewattstation.com/connect/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Make an account and then add the card. I cannot remember if they require you link payment to the account before you can add cards or if its only optional (i.e. you can still use free stations). That said, they only accept paypal accounts to be linked, so you cannot just input credit card information, a little bit of a hassle.

That is so odd that blink stations that show offline work and those online don't. It seems their software reporting system is totally screwed up that links to their online maps. And Blink mentioning that only certain errors can show them offline sounds a bit fishy from what I have seen. I have seen all types of errors, and can somewhat understand if they have miscoded information to report back correctly on functionality, but when one actually reports an "Out of Service" error (not a blank screen, not a zip code entering issues, etc.), that's like the basic error, and Blink still can't get that basic one right means they are really really messed up with their web interface.

I agree the app needs an error reporting function. Firstly, it would free up their call reps (I waited over 30 minutes one time and still never got a rep) for more major emergencies. Secondly, we can easily make sure the information is correctly imputed - station location/name, serial number, error code (if one displays), and a drop down list of the issue. This way they can have stored and filtered error list which would be more efficient for repairs.

I really think all these errors has to do with blink's software stability. I use Blink at work every day. The two units at my work only ever had problems the first couple of months when they were installed, and have been error free for almost a year (thats both of them!). I think regular use makes sure the unstable software doesn't bork. Units that see less use can crash. But that is totally a guess from my perspective.

What annoys me is, I was told on more than one occasion that they would not know that an unit is down until someone reports. That is, you need to have a frustrated user before it gets their attention.

That is really a poor way to run maintenance, but I am just one person and don't run a company.

BTW for everyone's benefit I added a new link to my signature which now recaps all the different charging companies for public charging and how they work, cost, and card access. I think this will help clear up many questions new Leaf owners (or even long time owners!) have about access any and all the public stations in the metroplex. Currently, there are 5 separate companies/systems that run off the same card/program. While easier to use these stations if you obtain the fob/RFID card (and sometimes cheaper), 4 out of the 5 can be accessed without any enrollment or card.

Updates for the week:

1 marker moved, 1 new photo, 1 modified station, 1 removed station, 2 new stations:

Moved:

UT Dallas ROC - Moved to correct location adjacent to the building

Photo:

UT Dallas ROC - Photo of location

Modified:

CBRE Parking Garage 1 - reduced from 4 to 2

Removed:

Fair Park - marked as private now

New:

Providence Towers
Blink – Two Level 2 (J1772)
5001 Spring Valley Road
Dallas, TX 75244

CBRE/Marriott Parking Garage
Blink – Two Level 2 (J1772)
5801 Tennyson Parkway
Plano, TX 75204

Pipcecil said:
Updates for the week:
Just in case nobody has thanked you, I'd like to personally thank you for the effort you put into the charging map. Unfortunately, I think probably only a small portion of EV drivers in DF/W are using your map, despite it being the most accurate map available.

Pipcecil : I have used your website a few times and it has really helped me plan my trips. Wanted to thank you for all your efforts.

Jay

Pipcecil said:
If you want to be technical, you want a NEMA 5-20R socket.

Pipcecil, I see that your note says 5-20R, whereas the evseupgrade.com says NEMA L6-20. Does it matter ? And the we have the NEMA 15-50 mentioned all over Tesla board. And I am looking at the
Siemens VersiCharge 30A Bottom Fed Charging Station, which says NEMA 6-50.

This is more complicated and confusing than I ever thought it would be.

-Jay

mkjayakumar said:
Pipcecil : I have used your website a few times and it has really helped me plan my trips. Wanted to thank you for all your efforts.

Jay

+1, I use it frequently in my planning. Many thanks for the effort and time that goes into it.

mkjayakumar said:
Pipcecil said:
If you want to be technical, you want a NEMA 5-20R socket.

Pipcecil, I see that your note says 5-20R, whereas the evseupgrade.com says NEMA L6-20. Does it matter ? And the we have the NEMA 15-50 mentioned all over Tesla board. And I am looking at the
Siemens VersiCharge 30A Bottom Fed Charging Station, which says NEMA 6-50.

This is more complicated and confusing than I ever thought it would be.

-Jay

Well NEMA5-20R is a normal 120V socket, with a neutral line maxed at 20 amps (good buffer as the breaker usually trips at 16 amp+ pull and its a good outdoor socket). This uses your standard portable charger that came with the car (20+ hours from LBW to full). Your car pulls 12ish amps from the portable charger.

The NEMA L6-20 is a 240v 20 amp outlet that evseupgrade changes your portable charger to. The socket looks like a three-prong "normal" but has a prong twisted to the side. This provides the max power to your car as 3.3kW is 240v @ 16 amps. Max output is 4.8 kW

A NEMA 15-50 is a heavy duty 250v (yes not 250 vs 240) 50 amp socket. It looks very weird for a plug (4 prongs, most turned side-ways) and is not common at all. This provides a max of 12.5 kW, way more than the Leaf can handle (3.3 or 6.6 in the 2013). The Tesla (with duel chargers) can handle 20 kW, so that is why the Tesla owners are interested in it.

NEMA 6-50 is a 240v 50 amp socket (three prong). It is not common in households so if you get the siemens charger you would need to have the socket installed. Note, this is NOT a dryer outlet or other standard 240v outlets installed in most homes. This socket could potentially provide a max 12 kW, which most plug-in cars won't need (currently).

So for choices:
NEMA 5-20R - if you want to plug in your unmodified portable charger at work, home, etc.
NEMA L6-20 - if you have a modified portable charger from evseupgrades, it gives you Level 2 charging speeds
NEMA 15-50 - no need, nothing the leaf has or you can buy would be able to use this unless you make a special request with evseupgrades. But, its a waste of electrons, you don't need this much power unless you are considering a Tesla soon
NEMA 6-50 - only if you get the siemons station at home. 50 amps is a very large breaker, and some older boxes can't handle the additional 50 amps. This is also overkill unless you plan on getting a BMW or Tesla soon.

On a different note, I am glad everyone enjoys the map. It may not see gazillons of internet traffic, but it gets a few, and I am just happy it helps anyone! I hope as more people purchase plugs-ins it will get more use. Having it available through the gov website its a plus. There have been some considering giving the link out as literature to car buyers or to fleet owners, etc. out of those participating in my work's EV program and the clean air program. Any additional method of spreading it around is always good!

I may have to bite down and submit the information to plugshare so more people can use it, but I don't have any contact with them so I would have to submit each station one at a time. Additionally, since they pull from the offical sites, it is sometimes incorrect. Correcting that info through plugshare is a bit more difficult.

We shall see if I get inclined to do the legwork to submit all the locations. I would take lots of time and I am lazy :D

Pipcecil said:
NEMA 6-50 - only if you get the Siemens station at home. 50 amps is a very large breaker, and some older boxes can't handle the additional 50 amps. This is also overkill unless you plan on getting a BMW or Tesla soon.
It's also used for Blinks. For 30-32a EVSEs, this outlet is typically paired with a 40a breaker, not a 50a, since there are no 40a NEMA receptacles.

Also, because of the 80% rule for continuous loads, a 50a 240v circuit can only deliver 9.6kW (not 12kW), and the 40a circuit 7.6kW to a car.

Very true, I fogot about the 80% rule. You are right too, you can put in lower breakers for sockets. Similar to how my electric range had a 50 amp socket with 50 amp wiring but only a 40 amp breaker. I will say, if you are installing from scratch, it would be wise (I don't know if this is actually against code to NOT do it) to make sure the wiring can handle the 50 amp (6-8 gauge depending on the type of copper wiring). That way you would only need to upgrade the breaker if you wanted to push the max amps out of the outlet.

Not sure if you folks have seen this thread yet, but I took a drive over to AutoNation Nissan Lewisville to take pictures of the new 2013 LEAFs. Here's the link: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11574" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back