DFW Metroplex

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With my new job, now my commute is at 35 miles one way and that puts me in a bind. I can barely make it home. And so I met the facilities manager of my new employer and explained my 'situation'. She was patient, sympathetic and asked me to create a ticket explaining what I need and it will be formally investigated. I was told they have already received a few other similar requests and I did see another Leaf in the lot. Right now they have designated parking spots for hybrids.

I am going to insist that I don't need anything more than a 120V plug, and going down the route of installing an 220V EV charger is not really needed. I was asked to provide the amperage and other technical details so that they have all the data they need to discuss this.

Should I just say, 120V, 16 amps or less ? Anything else ?

mkjayakumar said:
With my new job, now my commute is at 35 miles one way and that puts me in a bind. I can barely make it home. And so I met the facilities manager of my new employer and explained my 'situation'. She was patient, sympathetic and asked me to create a ticket explaining what I need and it will be formally investigated. I was told they have already received a few other similar requests and I did see another Leaf in the lot. Right now they have designated parking spots for hybrids.

I am going to insist that I don't need anything more than a 120V plug, and going down the route of installing an 220V EV charger is not really needed. I was asked to provide the amperage and other technical details so that they have all the data they need to discuss this.

Should I just say, 120V, 16 amps or less ? Anything else ?

If I am correct power draw for 120V is 12A so you shoud be Ok with 15A receptacle, but most of the 20A anyway. Wonder if that will be complementary, when I approach my employer they want $500 to cover electrons even I am driving to work every other day.

Oh and I am also going to let them know that I would gladly pay the electricity expenses whatever they believe is a reasonable amount, with the explanation that an 8 hour charge would draw no more than x kWh.

Would appreciate if someone in this forum could help me on what that value of 'x' is for a
110V 12 amp draw.

If you want to be technical, you want a NEMA 5-20R socket. They are ground faulted with a neutral connection (for added protection) and are usually recommended for outdoor installation anyways. The 20 amp is definetely recommended over the 15 amp. With a 15 amp socket, if they share the breaker (possible) any additional load beyond the car will trip, the 20 amp would prevent that. Texas requires all outdoor sockets to be GFCI as per code, so unless they want to be non-compliant then they will need the GFCI (doubt any electricitian would in good concious install a non-GFCI outdoor socket).

Also something to discuss, each vehicle will require a separate NEMA 5-20R socket set. Two cars plugging into a "standard" double socket will trip the circuit every time (i.e. 12 amp x2 = 24 amps > 20 amp outlet). So make sure they understand they cannot install a standard "double" socket for each 2 cars. Of course it will depend how their electrical is set up (i.e. large commercial installations don't have standard break set-ups which would cause this problem).

At one time my employer was talking about installing an EV charging station to increase their "green credentials." However, they seemed to have forgotten all about it. I don't really "need" a station since I'm only 3 miles away from work. But there are occasions when I have to drive somewhere distant during lunch and then have to go somewhere after work, and it would be convenient to be able to recharge during the day. The sad part is, we have a complex with a total of 8 large buildings. Not a single one of them has a 120V plug on the outside of the building anywhere. You'd think some electrical code would require it, but I guess not. So if I was in some kind of dire need, I'd have to convince them to allow me to run an extension cord through one of the doors. I doubt they'd like that much.

adric22 said:
At one time my employer was talking about installing an EV charging station to increase their "green credentials." However, they seemed to have forgotten all about it.

I'm right there with you. Things like "green credentials" get cut in tough times; we can only hope that may change as the economy improves (we have a multi-building complex as well). The irony is that I no longer "opportunity charge" during the day here in TX in the hot months, but that doesn't mean it would never get used.

One removal, one new addition, one picture and one marker movement:

Movement & Picture:
7-Eleven in Lower Greenville: got pictures of the two and moved the marker to the location of the stations (on south side of the building)

Removal:
Garland IT Service: All stations have been labeled as restricted

Also to note, we had a new error for a Blink Station last friday (happend at the 7-11). The station accepted the card, accepted the zip code (no touch screen errors), and was ready to charge. The station started counting time and charging, yet the station was not delivering any power at all. My wife, in her haste, didn't wait for the confirmation light on her volt to turn on and walked away. It was only me checking on it a couple minutes later on the phone to determined it wasn't charging. I disconnected-reconnected again, and no familiar *clank* of the station starting up and no electricty. Luckly the second one worked. Unfortunately, the station had already charged us $1 (one hour's worth) for no electricity, which sucks. I was tempted to try and contact Blink and get that $1 back since it was a compeletely faulty machine, but their CS is so poor, I didn't think it was worth my time for $1.

So make sure your car is charging before you leave!

I'm a bit confused. I noticed a new charging station show up on PlugShare for south Ft.Worth. The address listed is:

3500 West Loop 820 South
Fort Worth, TX

There is no other information listed about it.

Now.. when I look on the satellite view, the marker appears to be at some sort of quick-lube or something similar. However, when I google the address separately, I get "Frank Kent Fisker" which would make since that they would have a charging station, especially being that Frank Kent Honda and Caddilac dealers also have charging stations. However, Frank Kent Fisker is a few miles away from where the marker shows.

Yea, plugshare dragged that location (the address is right) from either chargepoint or ge. Frank Kent Caddilac/Honda is located on the west side of fort worth on IH 820 at Camp Bowie. They have 3 chargepoint and one ge station. As you mentioned, Frank Kent sells Fiskers, which is at this mega location (caddilac/honda are right adjacent to each other and I think the "Fisker" unit is in between, but not a stand-alone dealership).

So its plugshare drawing information from ge/chargepoint that have their markers at the wrong location.

So my wife blew up at Blink yesterday. Twice this weekend we needed to rely on some Blink stations to get us where we were going. Both times all stations were out/iced :evil: . The first trip was more of a convience versus having to drive out of the way to QC (which we had to do), the second was a requirement to get back to a QC to get home (it reverted to me channeling my pure EV driving awesomeness to make it).

The first was at the Bishop Arts District - One unit was ICEd and the second unit was completely off (blank screen, unresponsive). The second area was the YMCA in McKinney, all units were beeping with a display of "out of service".

Now, the ICEing was something a bit out of Blinks control, and really a result of mean people. We also realize stuff breaks and needs reapair, but what bothered wife more than anything - ALL of these stations were shown as ready/available on Blink's app and on their website. She concluded because random units are down so much (which, from our experience they are), if you don't "display" they are down then people don't see how widespread the problem is. But, thats a conspiracy theory type stuff. Regardless if its on purpose, the fact that when units are down or off they still display as available is EXTEMELY bad if we are "supposed" to rely of these stations to extend our range :evil: . And so, because of that my wife decided to give them an earful.

Updates for the week - one removal, one new picture, and two new locations.

Removal:
2121 Flora St. Public Parking (Blink) - has been removed from Blink's map. Technically they never were active (always greyed as unavailable)

Picture:
Walgrees - Garland Road (eVgo)

New Locations:
Oak Point Rec Center – Plano
Blink – Three Level 2 (J1772)
6000 Jupiter Road
Plano, TX 75074

“North 40” Parking Lot
Blink – Two Level 2 (J1772)
1647 L Avenue
Plano, TX 75074

I have an upcoming event at Cowboys Stadium. The station here http://goo.gl/maps/EdMpq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is listed as being GE. Is there a card for the GE? Is this accessible during the week?

There is a card for the GE stations, you purchase through amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/GE-WattStation-Connect-Payment-Card/dp/B0092QWD9O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1359984830&sr=8-3&keywords=ge+charging+card" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You are "supposed" to have the option to scan the QR code on the station and active it that way so you could charge without a card, but I haven't tried this option since the stations went active (on a note, I did try it whent he stations were offline and the QR code took me to an unactive URL). Cost is free to charge.

I have a GE card already and I have successfully charged at these stations and they are active 24/7 - as long as you can get to the parking lots. The stations are located in Lot 2, which is at the main entrance (turn into the stadium at the light across from the walmart, lot is to the left and the end of it). I don't know how they handle parking for your event, but sometimes they reserve that front parking for important people, etc. Also to note, these stations are not signed off in anyways - no "EV Parking" signs or "EV only" or even stripped a different color. They are just placed up there, so there is a higher probability of icing (in my opinion).

Within walking distance to the stadium is still the eVgo station (it does have a Level 2) at the walgreens on Collins, maybe less than a 1/2 mile from the stadium, and the Blink stations at NCTCOG, probably ~ 1 mile from the stadium.

Pipcecil said:
There is a card for the GE stations, you purchase through amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/GE-WattStation-Connect-Payment-Card/dp/B0092QWD9O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1359984830&sr=8-3&keywords=ge+charging+card" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the info.. I just bought two of them, one for me and one for the wife.

Back